HP Elite X3 vs Oneplus 3 --> does .46" really matter?

Sick Freak

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Have to check the size of your pockets to determine the size of the phone you can get. If you have small pockets, get a small phone, but large pockets give you a choice. :D

I got so tired of breaking the phone belt clips that I finally got a small Case Logic case and put it on my belt. Stores my phone and headset as well as a spare flash drive. And since it's got a little padding, it protects my phone. That way, I never put it in a pocket.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've never been comfortable one-handing a phone no matter how small. Even on my Veer it was hold in left, poke with right. Maybe that is from a lifetime spent as a "hunt and peck" typist?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The Moto X Pure has a 5.7. When I first ordered I was wondering how I could get along with it. Biggest display I've used was 5". Because of the design of the Moto the 5.7" wasn't near as troublesome as I had imagined it might be. I use a slim TPU case on it and the phone can be used one-handed for a lot of what I do. This device is smaller than the 5.5" iPhone 6(s)Plus. It fits nicely in my jeans pockets and I can even sit down with it in there (although I rarely do that).

.... but ... there are times when I would like it to be just a tad smaller. A 5.5" (depending on how it's designed) would be one I'd like to try (looking at you Idol Pro 4 if you actually come into existence).

...So all of this considered I'm quite confident that the HP Elite X3 would be too big for my everyday use.
I agree with you. It's a weight thing, and a bezel thing.

My Lumia 920 is heavier than my Moto X Pure Edition. The MXPE also has very small bezels.

The MXPE fits fine in the pockets of my jeans, but I don't wear skinny jeans.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I think design plays a major role in how a phone feels in hand. I own the Nexus 6 and it feels awesome to use despite mildly large side bezels (it almost looks disproportionate because the top and bottom bezels are so close in size to the side bezels). But I also think dedication plays an even larger role. I've always been a fan of larger phones but it still took me a day or two to get used to the Nexus 6 over my Lumia 830 and start using it normally. I never had an issue using the Nexus 6 (except Android 7.0 still feels clunky to use in some places compared to Windows 10).

No, people are always going to complain. You don't see people complain about the Galaxy Note 7 because it's, well, a Galaxy, but I've seen tons of people complain about any phone that isn't Samsung or Apple having a screen size above 5.2" and I've seen tons of people complaining about 5.2" phones not being 4.5".
I actually think what happened over the last few years is starting to happen in reverse. We tried to make phones as tiny and mobile as possible at first, then they started getting bigger and bigger, and now we're trying to make them smaller and smaller again.

SinrOne

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
When people see my Lumia 950 XL , the first thing they say that its way too big. When i use 5,2" phone, to me.. Its way too small. Viewing websites and watching things is alot more enjoyable with bigger screen and the phone fits into my pockets, so its all good there. I am definitely trying to find X3 to test and see how it feels. Really liking W10 platform.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Before I bought my 640 XL I was using Lumia 630 (4.5 inches) and I found out that larger screens actually work better for me. I wouldn't pick a phone under 5.5 inches again. Don't know what kind of clothes do you guys wear but 640 XL fits perfectly in my jeans pocket :winktongue:

Even if Elite x3 is slightly bigger than 950 XL / 640 XL I still don't think it would be a problem for me. As HP is targeting enterprise with this phone, I believe they've made it with such a large screen with reason as editing Office files on the small screen would probably feel a bit more awkward/hard to do.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
640XL is perfect size, especially with tempered glass protector and no case. Feels great in the hand and performs like a true flagship, unlike the overheating, buggy and creaky case 950XL, which unbelievably costs 4X more.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I've been testing out a lumia 540 and the slightly bigger screen is tricky for me to adjust to; coming from lumia 1020.

I find swiping or tapping things on the left top corner to be tricky with my thumb. My hand also doesn't seem to curl around it properly for a secure grip. I can't imagine what having the 950xl will feel like :grincry:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I think design plays a major role in how a phone feels in hand. I own the Nexus 6 and it feels awesome to use despite mildly large side bezels (it almost looks disproportionate because the top and bottom bezels are so close in size to the side bezels). But I also think dedication plays an even larger role. I've always been a fan of larger phones but it still took me a day or two to get used to the Nexus 6 over my Lumia 830 and start using it normally. I never had an issue using the Nexus 6 (except Android 7.0 still feels clunky to use in some places compared to Windows 10).

No, people are always going to complain. You don't see people complain about the Galaxy Note 7 because it's, well, a Galaxy, but I've seen tons of people complain about any phone that isn't Samsung or Apple having a screen size above 5.2" and I've seen tons of people complaining about 5.2" phones not being 4.5".
I actually think what happened over the last few years is starting to happen in reverse. We tried to make phones as tiny and mobile as possible at first, then they started getting bigger and bigger, and now we're trying to make them smaller and smaller again.

Not complaining about the note 7, but bashing others is really unfair.

Lol the trends.. The trends.. We smh always come back to what we started with

Before I bought my 640 XL I was using Lumia 630 (4.5 inches) and I found out that larger screens actually work better for me. I wouldn't pick a phone under 5.5 inches again. Don't know what kind of clothes do you guys wear but 640 XL fits perfectly in my jeans pocket :winktongue:

Even if Elite x3 is slightly bigger than 950 XL / 640 XL I still don't think it would be a problem for me. As HP is targeting enterprise with this phone, I believe they've made it with such a large screen with reason as editing Office files on the small screen would probably feel a bit more awkward/hard to do.
640XL is perfect size, especially with tempered glass protector and no case. Feels great in the hand and performs like a true flagship, unlike the overheating, buggy and creaky case 950XL, which unbelievably costs 4X more.

Again mileage across users will vary

I've been testing out a lumia 540 and the slightly bigger screen is tricky for me to adjust to; coming from lumia 1020.

I find swiping or tapping things on the left top corner to be tricky with my thumb. My hand also doesn't seem to curl around it properly for a secure grip. I can't imagine what having the 950xl will feel like :grincry:

Be persistent :p

Sent from mTalk

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I think bigger phones are a better investment. Everything is better on them. They really do replace tablets.

*Better for media consumption
*Better for gaming
*Better for work
*Less likely to drop it as they force you to use both hands
*You can drop the kindle and read on it and not worry about eye strain or zooming.

Small phones are good if all you do is text and small things like grocery lists and require one handed mode. Honestly though one handed mode is over-rated and is the number one reason people drop and ruin their phones. I have never used one handed mode even with smaller phones and have only dropped a phone once in 5 years. And it wasn't from my hands. Just a weird scenario. Honestly I have absolutely no problem putting my 950xl in my pocket. When I go to sit down I remove it and rest it somewhere else. It doesn't matter how big a phone is I won't leave it in my pocket when I'm sitting. If you wear additional long sleeve shirts with pockets or jackets I prefer putting them in those. But honestly pockets are pretty big I don't know how people have trouble putting phones in them. Unless they are wearing extremely skinny jeans that are cutting off their circulation, it shouldn't be an issue. You can also get phone holders that clip onto your belt or pocket if it matters that much. You can get a wallet case too. There are so many options. People who hate on large phones have never actually used one most likely. I have used both and I can't go back to a smaller screen. I can't see myself going below 5.7 inches now that I have used the 950xl. Granted the 950XL has a very good screen/body ratio. I know iphone 6s plus is a bit bigger from what I measured in the store and with a smaller screen. Hp Elite looks like it has a good ratio as well. And if you buy it from MS store they have a great return policy.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm late to this thread, but I just asked my wife if .46" matters and she said no honey, not at all... which makes me believe she is just trying to make me feel better. Sadly, I think it matters, but she doesn't want to hurt my feelings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett