Got my X3 Today, shipping back tomorrow - Why YOU should stick to your 950 (XL)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ah, I got it wrong, it was the Veer that he posted a picture of... it had a proprietary magnetic connector for charging and audio.

Yep, and the webOS Nation forum was filled with users looking for replacements for their lost mag>3.5mm dongle.

Over at iMore, worried users are being told they will never loose their lightning>3.5mm dongle so just relax. It can't happen.

doubletake.jpg

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I did say that I think the 950 XL is a great device over the X3 and the better buy at this point :)
Interesting to read this.

Having missed my 950XL for the past few weeks while it was repaired, I again tried my Galaxy S6. Within a few hours, I switched over to the One M8 (running build 10586, since they will no longer update that), and realized how much I dislike the newer Android UI.

After your review, I think I'm about 90% sure I'm cancelling my order for the X3. I had very high hopes for this device but right now, the only drawback i see on the 950XL (running build 14915) is the crappy speaker. Really, the only thing I wanted to see on the X3 was the possibility of running Continuum and X86 apps in the HP workspace.

Oh, and I recently bought my wife a Lumia 650 to replace her aging Samsung GS3. So far, she's had zero issues.

As for continuum, you can see below that I'm able to remote into my Surface Pro using continuum on my 950XL, and launch Visual Studio.

continuum_TV_Remote_work.jpg

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
In all fairness it is quite easy to stop the creaky back on the 950. I took an old Lumia back cover and peeled off the spongy sticker thing that helps keep the battery in place and strategically cut it and placed it near the bottom of the cover where the creaky comes. Done, problem solved and now couldn't be happier with the 950 build quality. I had to ruin an old cover but saved me a ton of mental anguish.

Well, let me just go buy an old Lumia right quick, or dismantle my 920, or...no, how about Microsoft doesn't use crap design and materials on the $550 phone I had to pay $600 for, since I wanted it on AT&T?

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Well, let me just go buy an old Lumia right quick, or dismantle my 920, or...no, how about Microsoft doesn't use crap design and materials on the $550 phone I had to pay $600 for, since I wanted it on AT&T?
Hey, I'm in the same boat as you. I wasn't happy with the poor build of the 950 and how creaky and cheap the back cover is. It annoyed the hell out of me especially after buying the phone at launch with basically a beta OS. Instead of being constantly annoyed I solved the problem myself and now I am much happier with my investment. You can ***** and moan all you need to, but that is not going to change anything at this point.

joeuncool

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
I know it sounds silly, but...

I just got one of these today, despite the above. The box is ENORMOUS. Stupidly so. Only 3 paragraphs? Doesn't do the box justice. I bought a Spectre for my son. A tablet. The box was less than half the size!

All of the comments above are fair. I'll add a few more:
  • Haptic feedback you can't turn off? Are you kidding me?Is this 2008?
  • Very lack luster performance, given specs.
  • Windows 10 Mobile (I know it's about the device) is, well, lame...on this device.

I'm both a Windows 10 fan, and buy millions of dollars worth of HP kit for work...because I choose HP. But this device has convinced me to give up the fight and buy an iPhone 7+.:crying: Why? Why? I've tried Soooo hard!

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I know it sounds silly, but...

I just got one of these today, despite the above. The box is ENORMOUS. Stupidly so. Only 3 paragraphs? Doesn't do the box justice. I bought a Spectre for my son. A tablet. The box was less than half the size!

All of the comments above are fair. I'll add a few more:
  • Haptic feedback you can't turn off? Are you kidding me?Is this 2008?
  • Very lack luster performance, given specs.
  • Windows 10 Mobile (I know it's about the device) is, well, lame...on this device.

I'm both a Windows 10 fan, and buy millions of dollars worth of HP kit for work...because I choose HP. But this device has convinced me to give up the fight and buy an iPhone 7+.:crying: Why? Why? I've tried Soooo hard!
You make it sound like you gave it a full day to try it out, before you made up your mind. Why did you even bother ordering it?

Danobe

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
You make it sound like you gave it a full day to try it out, before you made up your mind. Why did you even bother ordering it?

Notice that that guy made this his first post? And that "this" guy also merely gave it a day,before "giving up" and "buy an iPhone"? I smell sock puppet.

UncleVan

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
I was lucky enough to check the hp site after a few more x3's were made available and get one ordered. I then read the original post and nearly cancelled my order. The packaging concerns me not other than confidence that the contents are protected during shipping. Having drifted to an iPhone 6 + when my 1520 started to show it age, I couldn't be happier to again have a top shelf Windows Phone. I was never happy or comfortable with the iphone. I LOVE the X3. The build quality and display are on par with anything ou there. I do look forward to the AU for the X3, but the release version works good enough for now.

mrmobileperformance

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
If anyone is ready to give up on the Elite X3, hang on for a week or so. Then I'll post a detailed review of my experience. I only got it last night, but all I'm willing to say for now is: My experience has been the polar opposite of the one posted here.

Sent from mTalk

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Notice that that guy made this his first post? And that "this" guy also merely gave it a day,before "giving up" and "buy an iPhone"? I smell sock puppet.
Well, I only have a couple of posts and only had the phone for a few days and the X3 has made me seriously consider getting an iPhone or Android when I very much hate both.

Over the last few years I've had the Nokia 800, 1020, 1520, even recently had another 1020 since my 1520 went out of service. I also had the surface RT, then Nokia 2520 and I now have the surface pro 2, all of which I've enjoyed.

I am also very much into the Windows eco-system despite the disappointment with the lies about bringing win10 to the RT devices (which is the only reason i dropped the 2520 too).

Even so, x3 leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe the AU will make it much better, and i can understand when a product is finished in terms of hardware for manufacture, you have to start producing and selling said devices before the technology is obsolete, but I fail to see how selling it with a premature AU would be any worse than what they've sold it with.

I'm also not salty the box looks like it was designed to package the lap dock with it, though it is slightly annoying that, if i were to need something repaired under warranty or sell the phone on, there is no sleek small box like the nokias that I can be certain will fully protect the phone which can be stored away almost anywhere. To me that makes me think HP didn't really think into things properly.

It also makes me think of that ?700 premium, at least ?100 is wasted on pointless packaging and shipping of empty ******* air which really pisses me off. At least Apple goes through the effort of polishing the crap they sell, and I don't see no gold coated air particles in my box.

But on a serious note, the size of the box would allow 10x + more items to be shipped if it was made more realistically sized, and just off the principles of their carbon footprint, should never have been allowed to be made this big.

What I can say is, that ?700 in terms of support has gone a long way. Even under a "non critical" support ticket, HP rang up within an hour. Not any real solutions I must admit, it was generally "there will be an update that'll fix a lot of things but because there are no known dates for this, we're issuing Dead on arrival certificates for anyone wanting to return their phones within first 30 days".... All because the camera cant record.

The guy I had also said he will personally ring me up to tell me when the update is made available... I mean, you're not going to get that anywhere else I can tell you..

Danobe

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Well, I only have a couple of posts and only had the phone for a few days and the X3 has made me seriously consider getting an iPhone or Android when I very much hate both.

Yes, now you have "a couple of posts" (3, to be specific). At the time, you had one post. Your very first post was to mirror the reasoning and behaviour of the OP to a tee (returned it after a day, disliking the box as if it mattered, buying an iPhone, and so on). It doesn't matter how much you add to it afterwards, that was what you did. I still smell sock puppet.

And as for your point about having support call you when there is an update - are you frigging kidding me? I don't need support to call me, nor do I want to pay for that kind of thing (either directly or indirectly). What a waste of resources.

Anyway, I'm done, Mr. "The box is too big and is not packaged like the consumer product I like, and I'm therefore returning my one-day-old X3 to buy an iPhone - just like the OP".

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Yes, now you have "a couple of posts" (3, to be specific). At the time, you had one post. Your very first post was to mirror the reasoning and behaviour of the OP to a tee (returned it after a day, disliking the box as if it mattered, buying an iPhone, and so on). It doesn't matter how much you add to it afterwards, that was what you did. I still smell sock puppet.
I don't see the necessity to be rude.

You obviously didn't read my first post, because the one I returned was burning 6% battery on idle + after it crashed from recording a video, was stuck on the HP boot-up logo and got extremely hot and was thus returned. I still have my replacement Elite x3 in front of me and am very much trying to hold on to it, hopefully to see how this AU update is going to affect said performance.

The reality is, I will probably buy the 950 XL if this Elite x3 doesn't work out, but your only gripe is the suggestion of going to an iPhone that you clearly have personal grudges against and have no intentions of being objective in your posts. I also fail to see how considering my options when a benchmark for a 3000mAh phone made 3 years ago gives 26 hours of video playback /12hours streaming and the elite only pushes out 6 hours in equivalent battery capacity. It's also why I wanted to see if there were any official benchmark numbers pushed out for this phone, especially where said tests are done in equal fashion to other phones as it's hard for me to evaluate a QHD screen to a FHD screen in terms of battery consumption, and can therefore accept that my expectations are wrong.

I also fail to see how trying to get best value for money is any way "sock puppetry". I don't even know what the iPhone packaging looks like - I purchase entirely around specs and battery performance (hence owning the 1520 previous and buying in to the Elite x3 now) and packaging doesn't bother me, but the sheer size of the Elite's box does question how much was wasted on this aspect, considering the phone was considered to be "cheaper" because HP has no marketing or advertising campaign premium to offset. My first post was entirely about battery performance lol. If i buy a phone that says it lasts all day, I want it to last all day. Box was never ever a subject.

As to support calling me when the update comes out, it is by no means anything I personally requested or needed, but what the guy offered to do; one that I said I didn't need too. Though it is ironic you claim that it is wasteful and not something you wouldn't want to pay for even indirectly, yet that same argument is used around packaging and you go nuts over it?

To me it shows good PR, customer care and so on, which does go a long way. The box does look nice so I don't see how it is any different to other consumer packaging other than being oversized

You're trying to dismiss people's opinions purely based on their post count and trying to insinuate things based on this, while clearly not paying too much attention to what they have even written, as evident to your response to me. You're welcome to have your own opinion and your own arguments for or against something, but trying to dismiss people entirely because their views differs to yours, by using something such a post count which is entirely unrelated is just pointless, and this isn't including the clear bias and lack of objective assessment.

I mean, you slag the iPhone off and their users (which is purely discriminatory as you're trying to imply all iPhone users are brainless or whatever) and highlight defects or shortcomings - battery bulging, jack being removed, yet someone comes along complaining of phone issues with the elite - crashes, poor performance, and its "oh you have 1 post so you're obviously just a tool for not being in love with HP"

Not only is it the internet and what people say should be taken with a pinch of salt, exaggerating, sarcasm, satire are all valids means of making a point and not necessarily something to be taken as gospel.

Last edited:

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Performance (scrolling, tapping) is better on AU; I prefer RS2 though, as it fixes the camera crashing all the time (plus new Skype + SMS Relay).

What is really needed is FW from HP to further optimize the SD820 and Camera. Zac already detailed some of that update including double tap to wake and an iris/eye preview on the lock screen for Windows Hello. Clearly, HP has a lot of plans/features to bring to this device, but it will be a rollout process.

SD820 is new for W10M and I've heard it only has rudimentary support currently, just like any new chipset (happens on PC too when a new Intel processor is released, which is why you download a lot of updates from Dell, Lenovo, etc. in the proceeding months).

Ryan Smith23

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
It also makes me think of that ?700 premium, at least ?100 is wasted on pointless packaging and shipping of empty ******* air which really pisses me off.

I hope this is hyperbole. Otherwise, it's ridiculous, and you have no idea how much things cost (which would make all your comments on the value of the phone suspect). I agree that this box is comically big, but it's still just cardboard, the savings for a smaller box would have been minimal.

Danobe

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
I don't see the necessity to be rude.

I wasn't being rude. I was noticing a pattern and called you out on it.

I have reached a stage, though, where I can't be bothered to read the rest of your long posts, as I have begun to suspect that much of it is not real. And I still suspect a sock puppet.

But scrolling down to delete the rest of the post to quote the pertinent part, I notice you accuse me of slagging off iPhone users and you try to pretend that - even if it was true - was somehow "discriminatory". And that you apparently doesn't know what a sock puppet, nor what I meant when I wrote it, even though I explicitly said why I think "Kogling" is a sock puppet.

I also noticed that your last paragraph where you try to imply that one shouldn't believe that an opinion expressed on the internet is an actual opinion - way to cover your bases.

And with that I'll stop wasting my time with you.

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
I hope this is hyperbole..
The very next paragraph i said "but on a serious note"...

There is, however a fairly significant logistical cost involved in shipping. assuming they have produced more than just a handful that is.

I wasn't being rude. I was noticing a pattern and called you out on it.
No, you called two other people out on it. I called you out on your flaky assumptions.

sock puppet

noun: sock puppet; plural noun: sock puppets; noun: sockpuppet; plural noun: sockpuppets

?a person whose actions are controlled by another.
"a brainless sock puppet who only knows what to say because his handlers feed him his lines"

?a false online identity, typically created by a person or group in order to promote their own opinions or views.
"both sides in the debate use sock puppets to make it seem as if scores of people are arguing a point"
I'm very aware of what you're trying to imply with the phrase, and it would be deemed an insult to anyone who is generally not a puppet.

Also, a quote from you
LOL, as if Apple's quality is particular good. People just convince themselves that it is, regardless of plugs becoming loose, batteries becoming "pregnant" (i.e. bulging), and so on
To clarify what I was referring to. You're denying anyone who own apple products as having any idea what "quality" is, purely because you have deemed apple products inferior, and while value for money is largely short due to marketing costs and brand image involved , they've also been ahead of others too in some respects, so it's a largely baseless comment really that has no significance other than indicating your own hatred for apple.

I also noticed that your last paragraph where you try to imply that one shouldn't believe that an opinion expressed on the internet is an actual opinion - way to cover your bases.
I mean, if you really think someone is going to switch to apple because a box was too big maybe you need to step aside from the internet imo.

Untitled.png
I mean, you seem fairly certain people of differing views to you are all one person, so here's my email showing my original purchase, return, and replacement all in line with my original /previous posts. I'm sure an admin can confirm My IP differs from the other accounts, but that is getting pretty petty and no doubt you'll say vpn or something.

You've really had no argument other than insinuating I've been writing under 3 accounts lol.

Danobe

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Way to read way more into what I say than what I say. I was a Mac user for more than two decades. And I have seen and heard all sorts of idiotic excuses for Apple's products, despite their shortcomings. After having received four different Powerbooks (yes, that was what they were called) replaced and "repaired" by Apple because they couldn't make the FW work properly all of a sudden, causing system freezes and whatnot, only to ditch FW with no warning all of a sudden (first time around), and then dumbed down Final Cut Pro, I decided to jump ship, despite all the new Apple users (consumers) thinking they got a computer for professionals, and made up all sorts of excuses - some of which I have already mentioned.

If you have not heard of the Apple Reality Distortion Field, and how people tend (or tended) to make excuses, regardless of reality, you have missed quite a lot.
Jumping through hoops to meet a deadline, and then hearing excuses about how I should just live with it, how I should adjust my entire life to fit the whims of a tech company who shat on professional users (and have now forgotten all about them), is not about attacking Apple users. It is a response to someone posting a thread here talking about how he had a phone for a day, and that he will return it because the packaging is too big and he didn't like the speaker grill. Not only will he move to a different phone brand, but he will also buy into an entirely different PC system, so to speak.

And then you come along, with the same sort of story: Less than a day ownership of an (enterprise) phone, the same response is put forth: Crying about how an enterprise phone came in a biggish cardboard box, and how it should look like Apple's (consumer) phones, and that you will be moving on to an iPhone now.
Of course, your story has changed a bit since that first post, but nonetheless, that was what I was reacting to.

Seriously, I didn't "insinuate" anything. I accused you of being a sock puppet for very good reasons, as I have now once again explained to you. Secondly, I didn't "insinuate" that you were one of three sock puppets, I accused you of being one sock puppet - one the OP had created.

And please stop moving the goalposts constantly. It's dishonest.

And no, I'm not going to give you a run-down of ALL the problems I have had with Apple and Macs, nor am I going to write down all the excuses I have heard over the years. If it offends you that I refer to my experiences and talk about groups of people, I think you need to grow some thicker skin.

alodar101

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
OK, after a week and the new firmware. I am very glad I have this device. Heck, I even like the packaging....wasteful, but funny. The device is fast, smooth and connects everything. Continuum works fine. I can use the device on the old dock or the new dock. I can use the 950xl on either dock. Only real issues I have is in the enterprise configuration, some apps don't run with VPN.

I can see some people not liking a particular device based on personal likes and such. This device is absolutely the best Windows device I've ever had....period.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077