how much would you pay for an Elite x3?

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I have a chance to buy an elite X3 and the seller is asking $650 for it which I find too high because it looks like he dropped it and broke a little piece off of the metal/plastic chrome at the corner bottom... and what would happen internally to a break/fall to the phone? I don't wanna buy it and then it starts to have trouble in a week or 2 or month even. I'm including a pic of said phone... so what do you guys think? buy it or forget it?

Attachments

• $_35.JPG
    $_35.JPG
    9.2 KB · Views: 153

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
That should be just cosmetic damage and HP can replace that part (according to them). I would not expect any internal damage.

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Since I paid the list price from Microsoft for mine, that's my answer. I too suspect that there would be no internal damage to the phone you are looking at, but in case there is you would be risking $650 to save $50 (or $150 if the dock is part of the package). That doesn't sound like a reasonable transaction to me either way. If you are hesitant to commit to the deal without having a third party talk you into it, that's your subconscious telling you to walk away.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
That should be just cosmetic damage and HP can replace that part (according to them). I would not expect any internal damage.

cool thanks dan, I wonder if it would be expensive to replace?

Since I paid the list price from Microsoft for mine, that's my answer. I too suspect that there would be no internal damage to the phone you are looking at, but in case there is you would be risking $650 to save $50 (or $150 if the dock is part of the package). That doesn't sound like a reasonable transaction to me either way. If you are hesitant to commit to the deal without having a third party talk you into it, that's your subconscious telling you to walk away.

yes the dock is included and I bet I would even get to haggle him lower, say for $450-500... thanks for the replies guys...

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
cool thanks dan, I wonder if it would be expensive to replace?

Yeah, no idea on that or how the process would work, sorry. It was mentioned on our podcast by HP who said they could replace it. At some point, some component resellers should have it available and I imagine you can change it yourself.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, no idea on that or how the process would work, sorry. It was mentioned on our podcast by HP who said they could replace it. At some point, some component resellers should have it available and I imagine you can change it yourself.
I'm pretty sure it can only be replaced by HP since it has to be sealed (to stop water from getting into the speaker) though I could be wrong. Technically you probably could melt the original adhesive and try to glue a new cap on, but you'd lose the water resistance and warranty.
It's hard to do any self repairs on devices without losing the IP67 rating.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it can only be replaced by HP since it has to be sealed (to stop water from getting into the speaker) though I could be wrong. Technically you probably could melt the original adhesive and try to glue a new cap on, but you'd lose the water resistance and warranty.
It's hard to do any self repairs on devices without losing the IP67 rating.

Yeah, agree there. Just didn't know if the cap is strictly cosmetic or acting as part of the seal.

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
All I can is, my 1520 I dropped from about 50cm high and cracked my glass screen protector - everything looked fine and the glass was pristine, but as time went on, it was increasingly more apparent the digitizer layer was damaged (kept thinking the corner was being pressed).

By all accounts the digitizer is an "eggshell" thin layer between the glass and LCD that is easily fractured. I'd be weary of any clear signs of a hard drop like a good chip off of a corner personally.

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
At least with HP Business laptops, they do not normally include ADP (Accidental Damage Protection)... meaning if you drop it, they won't fix it under warranty.

If there is a failed part (eg hard drive fails in laptop) they will replace the part under warranty.

Since the phone is operational I'd look at the warranty fine print before buying it.

I'll try to dig up anything I can for you on this....

-m

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Ok.... here's a link to the HP QuickSpecs document for the Elite X3:

HP Elite x3 - Quickspecs (QuickSpecs/c05148914.pdf)

On page 10 under "Service and Support" it says:

SERVICE AND SUPPORT
HP Services offers a 1-year limited warranty. Internal batteries have the same 1-year limited warranty as the platform. On-site service and extended coverage is also available. HP Care Pack Services are optional extended service contracts that go beyond the standard limited warranties. To choose the right level of service for your HP product, use the HP Care Pack Services Lookup Tool at: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...%3A%2F%2Fwww.hp.com%2Fgo%2Fcpc&token=lpfby8Zn.

I looked at the Care Package options, and for $99 you can get 1 year coverage with ADP (you'd have to mail it to the HP service center). The HP part number is: U9DW4E

Otherwise, I'd say ask at a Microsoft Store what other warranty options they offer for it (if you hadn't bought the phone from them).

I'll ask someone to see what's included in the 1-year limited warranty.

-m

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
How much would I pay ? Normally I don't pay much more over $100 for USED phones (I have a LG G4 and a iPhone 6 along with my Nokia ICON), maybe $200-250 tops for it. but, with no Verizon support, I don't think I would pay much right now...

Windows Phone is the best OS that no one cares about.... and it's sad..

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I'd pay what they are asking, but then again I only buy a new phone every few years. I'm not one of those people who update every 6 months. Only would buy new if it broke or some huge came out like a surface phone that was computer and a phone that could no joke be a real computer.

loudog3114

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
According to HP, the device passes military spec drop testing. I think its either 4 feet or 6 feet, with no case. I have tested that a couple times already, and the device is fine, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. As far as price; used $650 may be a bit high, but good luck finding another one.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
According to HP, the device passes military spec drop testing. I think its either 4 feet or 6 feet, with no case. I have tested that a couple times already, and the device is fine, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. As far as price; used $650 may be a bit high, but good luck finding another one.

Yup, 4ft without a case; 6ft with rugged. Nonetheless, if it lands on the corner on pavement that giant 6-inch display could still easily shatter.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to go look at it sat, what should I look out for since its been dropped? of course the screen, and possible speaker damage/distortions what other stuff should I look for?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to go look at it sat, what should I look out for since its been dropped? of course the screen, and possible speaker damage/distortions what other stuff should I look for?

Take a look over everything on it....Touch the screen in all corners, make sure it works, Turn on Wi-Fi, make sure it's able to connect (or at least see Wi-Fi networks), enable blue-tooth and see if can find things. Then as the speaker cover is damaged, I would hop on an app that makes music (or just open a browser) and play some music, then turn the volume up to max, to confirm there is no speaker damage.

I would do a general test on things you would use most often but, that should cover most features people would use..

For $400, it's a good deal, Also check the ESN to make sure there is no leans on the phone (You should be able to ask the seller what the ESN of the phone) and go to https://swappa.com/esn?ref=mobilenations&data1=UUwpUvbUpU3582191 for a free check...

Yup, 4ft without a case; 6ft with rugged. Nonetheless, if it lands on the corner on pavement that giant 6-inch display could still easily shatter.

Don't you have first hand experience with that ? :)

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
BAH! I was ready to meet the seller that nite and he never contacted me or anything! I have a feeling he might have gotten a better deal and reneged on our agreement/deal... oh well, plenty of other deals to be found

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I was fortunate enough this morning to find a new one being sold with the dock that I was able to buy at a great price for my wallet. I was only able to justify the amount since it was new and with a dock. The end price for me was 620. I almost pre-ordered one when Microsoft first posted them on their store site, seeing there was a Education discount available at first knocking about 80 bucks off. But for what I bought this one for, makes me feel more comfortable. I am planning to use this for at least the next year or two.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos