X3 or wait for Surface Phone?

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I'll wait if my 930 can hold until then, and if nothing new comes next year, i'll just get a HP when the price drops... After just 2 years of extreme use and abuse my battery is the first thing that will die in 930...

smolsson

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
I debated this since the X3 was announced and was hesitant when the Surface Phone rumors really circulated earlier this month. I carried an Android phone for work and had my Nokia 925 for personal, which was way outdated with 8.1. I debated going Apple since I also received an Ipad for work and was tired of carrying around all of these (in addition to my work laptop). Also, had a choice of going straight Android - which I don't really care for. I researched for a while and finally broke down and bought the X3 last week. The dual sim is great, the customizing that you can do to the layout and live tiles is nice. I already have co-workers jealous since I can open, filter and update Excel files from the phone. I haven't touched the ipad and only carry one phone. It was very easy to setup separating work and personal. I could go on... Definitely two thumbs up to this phone so far!

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Well since the event past with no phone (besides the Idol 4) I guess it's pretty much confirmed that the HP Elite X3 is debatably the best Windows Phone out there right now. But at 800$ (1000$ CND) price tag it's a big investement. I'll be getting one probably within a few weeks to replace my Lumia 830.

RobertP1

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Well since the event past with no phone (besides the Idol 4) I guess it's pretty much confirmed that the HP Elite X3 is debatably the best Windows Phone out there right now. But at 800$ (1000$ CND) price tag it's a big investement. I'll be getting one probably within a few weeks to replace my Lumia 830.

The 950XL doesn't cut it for you? The reason I ask is that I am on the fence between the two

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
The 950XL doesn't cut it for you? The reason I ask is that I am on the fence between the two

Had it in the past, returned it (mainly because a car repair cost me 3000$ at the same time I ordered it.) but with my brief time with it, it didn't really feel great to hold it in my hands the back plate had an annoying squeak to it if I held the bottom part of the phone. Performance wise I couldn't test I only had it for 2 days.

But yeah between the Elite and the 950XL I say the material quality is better, but besides that not sure how smooth it runs how the camera operates, etc. So I cant say who's the clear winner.

RobertP1

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Had it in the past, returned it (mainly because a car repair cost me 3000$ at the same time I ordered it.) but with my brief time with it, it didn't really feel great to hold it in my hands the back plate had an annoying squeak to it if I held the bottom part of the phone. Performance wise I couldn't test I only had it for 2 days.

But yeah between the Elite and the 950XL I say the material quality is better, but besides that not sure how smooth it runs how the camera operates, etc. So I cant say who's the clear winner.

Thanks for replying.. I am mostly concerned with the Camera. I know the 950XL has an awesome Camera and I have heard some not great things about the X3 camera. If the X3 had the 950Xl camera.It would make my decision much easier

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I say the material quality is better, but besides that not sure how smooth it runs how the camera operates, etc. So I cant say who's the clear winner.
I have both a 950xl and a EliteX3. While I loved the 950xl, I find it annoying to pick up now.

First, it is too small. Yeah, it is 5.7" but I really appreciate the extra real estate of a 6" screen. Using it as my daily driver, it is great. The camera originally seemed mediocre but is now almost on par with the Lumia phones now after two firmware updates.

Most notably, the speakers are the best benefit. I very much hated the awful speakers on the 950xl and longed for sound on par even with my Note2. The Elite X3 sound is great on Conference calls, video playback, or even just regular speakerphone calls in the car.

Though minor, the power button placement on the 950xl caused no end of frustration. I was constantly pressing power+Vol up or power +Vol down. On the X3, I don't have this problem. Of course, I've become very used to unlocking using the fingerprint sensor.

I did take the plunge and install the latest Fast Ring.

Sent from mTalk

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
It's the small things like haptic feedback, button placement and button quality (like how the power button is slightly higher than volume) that make the x3's hardware impressive. The rest like dual front-firing speakers, display, and spec listing is just icing.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I have been hanging in there waiting for the Surface phone for a while. I have been curious about the X3, but was never a fan of HP other than their laser printers, which are always first rate. I am on my third Icon, having bought the last two refurbished from Amazon. Eventually, though that's not a long term solution. So I am hoping we see a Surface Phone in the next 12 months.

In the meantime, the Surface team keeps making other (non-phone) devices that are absolutely re-imagining PCs. If they can do the same for the phone they can build a third pathway to mobile. The Surface team is absolutely out-innovating Apple, and the Studio is even better than the Surface Book was a year ago. Loving the Surface Dial, and hoping it comes to Surface Book, although I don't imagine placing it on the screen a lot, but it would be a great interface for Photoshop, for which the Surface Pen is indispensable. The two together could really be useful. The Dial would be cool just to have as an analog volume control for Groove too (although I am aware that's a pricy solution to a first-world problem).

So yeah... waiting for Surface Phone.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I have been hanging in there waiting for the Surface phone for a while. I have been curious about the X3, but was never a fan of HP other than their laser printers, which are always first rate. I am on my third Icon, having bought the last two refurbished from Amazon. Eventually, though that's not a long term solution. So I am hoping we see a Surface Phone in the next 12 months.

In the meantime, the Surface team keeps making other (non-phone) devices that are absolutely re-imagining PCs. If they can do the same for the phone they can build a third pathway to mobile. The Surface team is absolutely out-innovating Apple, and the Studio is even better than the Surface Book was a year ago. Loving the Surface Dial, and hoping it comes to Surface Book, although I don't imagine placing it on the screen a lot, but it would be a great interface for Photoshop, for which the Surface Pen is indispensable. The two together could really be useful. The Dial would be cool just to have as an analog volume control for Groove too (although I am aware that's a pricy solution to a first-world problem).

So yeah... waiting for Surface Phone.

Well put...and I agree, 100%

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12