11-23-2016 02:37 PM
30 12
tools
    Hmm, I'm not seeing it, are you on an insider build?
    Firmware update is not tied to insider status. They're completely separate.

Sent from mTalk
    11-23-2016 08:43 AM
    Well, while I agree they should not be, there is a publishing issue that continues to be a problem for MS and the OEM publishing the updates (HP in this case). This causes devices on certain insider rings to not "see" the update. Therefore, those of us on the Fast ring are not getting firmware updates OTA. The only reason this is acceptable (IMO) is because we know going into the Insider program, to expect issues. However, I would argue that we should not be jumping through these types of hoops - when RS2 is released it will be going to devices running the new (or newer) firmware, so our feedback should reflect the OS performing on production hardware (including new firmware revisions).
    11-23-2016 08:52 AM
    PerfectReign, unfortunately it is not totally seperate. For Insider rings on the development channel (atm that is fast and flow on RS2) to see the firmware updates, they need to be 'double published', according to Jason.
    11-23-2016 09:18 AM
    Seems to me it would depend on what the fw update addresses. Was the first update pre AU? If so maybe that update addressed both builds. The pre AU and AU builds. In which case maybe it HP who is playing catch up.

sent by mTalk
    11-23-2016 10:19 AM
    The reasoning for the delay on Insider rings (as far as I know, may be wrong) is because the Production devices get updates (including firmware and OS) direct from HP, while Insider devices get it from Microsoft (not HP). So for firmware to show up on Insider devices it has to be separately published by Microsoft, while Production gets it as soon as HP releases it.
    Again, not 100% sure about this, but I'm pretty sure this is the reasoning for the delay. Ideally MS and HP can work together to get the updates out to everyone faster, but until then, it's just one of the downsides with using prerelease builds.
    11-23-2016 02:37 PM
30 12