How Does Ethernet work with the Elite X3?

zanda61

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Hey Guys,
I was wondering, when the dock is connected via an Ethernet cable, will the Elite X3 show up as another networked computer? Can I share a folder on the phone so it's visible on the network?

I would love to be able to copy files from my PC to the Elite X3 by using a software program that would automatically see the phone on the network and then copy a selected group of files. I use "Allway Sync" to do this with my surface pro and it's a nice way of knowing that my files are sync'd before I head out with the device. I can sort of do this with OneDrive, but it requires a solid network connection and I live in a rural area that doesn't have the best cell service in all areas. With memory cards as capacious as they are, it would be no problem to have a sync'd duplicate on my phone with me at all times...I just don't want to have to make the transfer manually cuz I'm lazy and forgetful and busy...oh yeah don't forget busy :)

I've tried to "see" the phone's folders when connected via USB, but I haven't found a way to share a folder from the phone so my software simply doesn't show the phone as an available device. If someone has an alternate way of synchronizing folders between PC and phone I'd love to hear how it's done.

See ya

fgol

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
LAN related things, like seeing the phone or folders is the same as with a wifi connection. You can't "see" anything. The Ethernet connect with the dock though is noticeably faster. For dumping music from OneDrive to local I had it dock-connected hoping the wired connection would speed things along and it did.

zanda61

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone know of a software solution that would allow a home network to connect to a windows phone as just another PC on the network? I think that would be so useful for moving files, doing local backups, printing, etc. I'm using a lumia 950xl right now but the Elite X3 is on my radar if I can come up with a use scenario for using it as a replacement for something like my surface pro. I don't always need a full on PC when I'm on the road but I need local access to my most current job files and thats where being able to automatically copy files from my desktop to the phone on a scheduled basis would be most handy.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Network discovery and file sharing is only supported on Windows desktop editions (as far as I know). Mobile doesn't seem to support it at all yet. I'd post/upvote that on the Feedback Hub if you want to see it implemented.

I personally don't know of any mobile apps for file syncing. I've only used OneDrive since I have over 1TB of storage with Office, but that doesn't support syncing to local storage (maybe upvote this on Feedback Hub too?).

There might also be software (for the computer with files) that will transfer files when you connect the x3 over USB. Windows Media Player (still included in Windows Accessories folder of Start) might be able to do it.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Not completely true ^

I use the app called FTP server on my WP since 8.1. You simply select folders in the phone you want to make discoverable, and use the PC explorer to connect to the phone. In explorer you simply put a given IP adress for example: ftp://192.168.1.1 and it will open the same as via USB cable. This should work faster with 5ghz wifi routers, but ethernet is the fastest way for your X3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett