What are these networks? H H+

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I have an A&T as well as a T-Mobile sim in my X3.

On a regular basis I see an H or H+ next to the signal strength indicator.

Any idea what this is?

I know of 2G, 3G, EDGE, LTE, LTE+

A6BtWOB.jpg

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
H = HSPA = 3G
H+ = HSDPA = 3.5G (it's a bit speedier but not at LTE levels - marketed as 4G a few years ago by some US carriers and LTE was marketed as 4G LTE)

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Ahhh, those. I had forgotten. I once rooted my Note 2 and had installed Cyanogenmod, and used to see HPSA/HPSA+ on that. I figured it was an Android thing.

Sent from mTalk

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
H = HSPA = 3G
H+ = HSDPA = 3.5G (it's a bit speedier but not at LTE levels - marketed as 4G a few years ago by some US carriers and LTE was marketed as 4G LTE)

On my L950 in the UK, I'm sure I've seen 3G, 4G, H and H+ at different times. So is H definitely just 3G?

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Has nothing to do with LTE (4G)

LTE is not something you see indicated on a UK handset, unless said handset was originally destined for a different geographical location. LTE is not a well known standard in the UK, handsets show 4G instead. Imported phones sometimes show LTE much like my cousins HTC One M8 Windows phone which did in fact show LTE. It went back home to die though - when he was in the US recently, it started off when he was recording a lot of HD footage, the phone got very hot, so much so that the HTC lettering on the back expanded more then the metal casing and popped out, never to be seen again...

Corwin_Amber

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
No insult meant, just talking standards here. Whatever marketing does with that... ;) Here (Germany) you can get both, depending on variant. 4G or LTE. But HSDPA (3.5G) never gives you a 4G indicator or is marketed as 4G, AFAIK.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
On my L950 in the UK, I'm sure I've seen 3G, 4G, H and H+ at different times. So is H definitely just 3G?

That's odd, but yea.

I had a Lumia 920 that saw three different regions on it.

For 3G I usually saw H but on another ROM it was 3G.

On AT&T, it displayed 4G for H+ while on the French one I saw H+ most of the time. (I broke LTE in the upgrade to Lumia Cyan)

When I got onto a different ROM in an attempt to fix LTE, it displayed L.
AT&T would display LTE for that.
The French ROM pre-Cyan would display 4G.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
That's odd, but yea.

I had a Lumia 920 that saw three different regions on it.

For 3G I usually saw H but on another ROM it was 3G.

On AT&T, it displayed 4G for H+ while on the French one I saw H+ most of the time. (I broke LTE in the upgrade to Lumia Cyan)

When I got onto a different ROM in an attempt to fix LTE, it displayed L.
AT&T would display LTE for that.
The French ROM pre-Cyan would display 4G.

FYI, these connection strings that get displayed are mapped in the registry:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\OEM\DataConnectionStrings

So for example if the radio is connected to UMTS_HSDPA it is set to display 4G (which is incorrect it should be 3.5G)

In fact all of the WCDMA frequencies are set to display 4G, which is really false marketing since WCDMA is 3G. And U.S. LTE is really just 4G, but marketed as 4G LTE. It's entirely messed up, but the mapping should be based upon the SIM you are using. I have a Cricket SIM so it uses the false marketing descriptions AT&T has.

Anyways, if you don't like what it is displaying you can changing the mapping to what you like :), post 4 on this link List Your InterOp Tool Registry Edits Here - Windows Central Forums

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
FYI, these connection strings that get displayed are mapped in the registry:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\OEM\DataConnectionStrings

So for example if the radio is connected to UMTS_HSDPA it is set to display 4G (which is incorrect it should be 3.5G)

In fact all of the WCDMA frequencies are set to display 4G, which is really false marketing since WCDMA is 3G. And U.S. LTE is really just 4G, but marketed as 4G LTE. It's entirely messed up, but the mapping should be based upon the SIM you are using. I have a Cricket SIM so it uses the false marketing descriptions AT&T has.

Anyways, if you don't like what it is displaying you can changing the mapping to what you like :), post 4 on this link List Your InterOp Tool Registry Edits Here - Windows Central Forums

Oh thanks! But that 920 is long gone! :)

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it would be better if instead of 3G/4G or whatever, it said slow, medium, fast, maximum :) Then again, perhaps not...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it would be better if instead of 3G/4G or whatever, it said slow, medium, fast, maximum :) Then again, perhaps not...

The problem with that is that it takes up more space and is purely subjective. The iPhone 3G was pretty speedy when it came out, etc.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't really suggesting that it be done, but just as a matter of fact, "maximum" is only one character longer than "LTE 4G" and it could be truncated to just "max", so if someone really wanted to do it, they could without losing any space in real terms.

Last edited:

Bobby Bahmanpour

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Is it me or when you're on a Call this drops to H and very slow.

I had issues including the continuum and the fact that it's real slow during a call.

Well I got a new phone (actually probably an older version cause it has it's S# on the back cover, My first one didn't) and this phone has the same issues. They changed it thinking it had to do with the motherboard but no such luck.

Called Tmobile and they said try sim card setting where it says the MAX band on this phone is 4G so they said it's really not a LTE phone...........

So isn't that false advertising for this phone?????? There isn't anything better on this phone than my OOOOOLD 1520, I miss that phone, everything actually worked after YEeeeeeeeeears of having to put up with MS.:crying:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Is it me or when you're on a Call this drops to H and very slow.

I had issues including the continuum and the fact that it's real slow during a call.

Well I got a new phone (actually probably an older version cause it has it's S# on the back cover, My first one didn't) and this phone has the same issues. They changed it thinking it had to do with the motherboard but no such luck.

Called Tmobile and they said try sim card setting where it says the MAX band on this phone is 4G so they said it's really not a LTE phone...........

So isn't that false advertising for this phone?????? There isn't anything better on this phone than my OOOOOLD 1520, I miss that phone, everything actually worked after YEeeeeeeeeears of having to put up with MS.:crying:
I've submitted feedback to HP on this hoping for something. My 950xl and 950 unlocked phones did the same thing on AT&T, dropping to H+ H or 4G when on a phone call. They could not use the VoLTE/HD Voice features. I believe this is tied to the phone/imei of an unlocked device as opposed to a locked carrier sold device, but I am not totally sold on that reason. I am still working on my own and contacting AT&T for myself to see if this is just the way it is or if there is a way I can add the ability to use LTE-A/VoLTE/HD Voice, on my unlocked x3 on AT&T.

Bobby Bahmanpour

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I talked to TMOBILE and as I said, there is only setting on the SIM card that is 4G and lower.

I didn't have this issue on 1520 and it didn't use HD Voice, that's what one person mentioned as why it drops to H cause it's not HD. But the second tech I spoke with said that's a HARDWARE issue and software won't fix it. That's NOT what I was hoping to hear, why would a newer phone not be capable of LTE is beyond me, specially one that's designed for business.
You'd want to use your internet while on the phone and this thing is a useless if you ask me.

I really wonder why I put up with MS so much, you never see so many issues with other OS. I had to reinstall all the apps and some don't work right again or still no use of Microsoft Wallet when both Apple and Android are using that. What's the point of paying 900 for a phone that's like a $200 phone and it just sounds like it's capable and in reality it's NOT.
The new phone does the turning off and on constantly again and it's just a pain to really deal with it.

I am really waiting for an update to Apple or Android because to be honest being on MS is like a Trump supporter, I think they're crazy to follow what they know to be a flawed person, so I guess in this case I ignore all the short comings of Microsoft for no real reason other than I have been a MS person all along, maybe it's time for us to look around more and learn to stop following something when it's not really the best choice.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I talked to TMOBILE and as I said, there is only setting on the SIM card that is 4G and lower.

I didn't have this issue on 1520 and it didn't use HD Voice, that's what one person mentioned as why it drops to H cause it's not HD. But the second tech I spoke with said that's a HARDWARE issue and software won't fix it. That's NOT what I was hoping to hear, why would a newer phone not be capable of LTE is beyond me, specially one that's designed for business.
You'd want to use your internet while on the phone and this thing is a useless if you ask me.
That's not true. The x-3 is capable of LTE-A/LTE+. It's on the carrier backend. I've read a lot about it, but I'm not a tech in that area so couldn't explain the technicality of this issue.

Sent from mTalk

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I just got my x3 on Wednesday. I set it up out the box sim installed before I booted it, but AT&T still had an old imei from an old iPhone I used prior. I had them update that, but it still shows my last phone pic/model in my profile Lumia 830. So something is not right in my account anyway. I've yet to reset my phone to see if the imei update helps. I still want to consult AT&T again about a couple things. If I have to reset my phone later I will too, but right now it is not limiting me.

Sent from mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb