Hello All,

Hopefully the title of my post doesn't make you think I am biased in anyway. Small disclaimer: I am not a business user. My 950XL is used as a personal device, with no ties to business, at any level.

As for myself, I am a windows phone fanatic. Have had windows phone since the HTC HD2, and windows devices are the only devices I have ever owned. I dislike Apple, and I don't mind Android. Now on to my post:

I went for a visit to the nearest Microsoft store, with a lot of excitement. My intent was to be there, and be out, with a new phone in hand (Elite X3). And there she was, standing in its' display dock, looking all nice and sexy. Unfortunately, that was the best part about this phone, for me, when comparing it to my 950XL. The reasons why I feel the x3 Elite is a downgrade from the lumia 950XL:

Before listing out the cons, I'll weigh in on the positives: Even though this is a large phone, it is SURPRISINGLY easy to hold!! I was very impressed with the design, and how thin this phone is. Another great point, is its' screen. Wow, bright and vibrant. Plus, me knowing that this phone can outlast my 950XL without a sweat...It's easy to see why I was so excited for this phone...until I played with the phone at the store...

At $800+ Tax:

1) The camera isn't what it should be. People will make an excuse for HP (I don't know why) and mention that this is a business phone, and it has no need for a super high end camera. Unfortunately, the argument in itself is very weak. But look, it's alright, I'm not so snap happy...but still, strike 1.

2) No worries I told myself, I'll just mosey on over to the "HP-Display Tools", in hopes that they have some sort of alternative *even a gimped one* to the Glance Screen. Unfortunately, this was another strike against the phone. HP Display is useless to me. I don't care to see the time only when my phone is plugged in to its' dock. Strike 2

3) Alright fine fine, Glance isn't everything, even though it's still a big deal...let me test out this double tap to wake feature which I heard was finicky... so I went to the menu and made sure that double tap to wake was turned on. I locked the phone. I began double tapping, but at no point was I ever able to get it to work. I tapped at different speeds, and with different strengths - to no avail. I even changed the sensitivity settings and such.. nope, nothing. for $800, this phone is starting to look pretty flawed. A simple feature which any other phone can replicate and support with ease, is now a struggle on this phone. granted, it might not have been using the latest firmware - so I was willing to excuse with. Strike 3

4) Ok, lets chalk that one up to an older firmware revision. No big deal....so I started to think, while staring and playing with the phone.. "what else can I do to make me love this phone and buy it this minute...." *light bulb*!!! Finally thought of something....EQUALIZER! I love being able to boost the bass on music that I listen to. So with much excitement, I went to settings, and searched for "equalizer" - NOTHING. No, freaking, equalizer. Great. Strike 4

5) I looked back at my Lumia 950XL and realized all the features this phone already has, and the features the HP is lacking...wtf? For my older Lumia 950XL being a better and more complete product since RELEASE, strike 5 against the HP.

tl;dr:

at $800, this phone offers LESS than what my $650 Lumia 950XL did.

1) Lower quality camera
    2) No equalizer (wtf)
    3) No Glance (big wtf)
    4) Simple functionality like double tap to wake, a real struggle on this piece of hardware.

Hate me for this if you will, but this is how I feel about the phone. I left the store utterly disappointed.
    MOBBAK likes this.
    11-03-2016 04:58 PM
    You have a right to expect features to work for the high price of this phone.

I have the 950 and I wouldn't trade this phone for a HP Elite X3 even if I could.

I'm very satisfied with the 950 and I am really loving 'hey cortana' the more I use the feature.

I hope the HP will get their problems sorted soon. We definitely need more choice on this platform now that Lumia has been discontinued.
    MOBBAK likes this.
    11-03-2016 06:23 PM
    I have an X3... and I agree. If you have a 950XL, it is not worth the $800.
    aximtreo and MOBBAK like this.
    11-04-2016 01:43 PM
    Okay so I have a 650 and am planning on getting a new phone really soon. I have numerous complaints about this phone but I don't know which to blaim, the low end hardware or the OS. I was drooling at the X3 right up until release but now I can't stand the thought of getting a $800 dollar phone that has a crummy, or, depending on who you talk to, an above average camera. Those other things you mentioned are not big deals to me because I came from an iPhone (BBQ10 before that, a result of the whole WP7.8/8 debacle when I had a HTC Titan) and it took me forever to get used to glance, which doesn't seem to work all that well (again not sure if it's the phone or OS). I decided that the camera was too big of a deal for me, but then the Idol 4S came out and I got even more uncertain, however Dan says the camera is about the same as the X3. Given that I have a 650, I am sure the X3 will perform miles above in picture quality but I still don't know. Also the IP67 rating give the X3 a boost in comparison to the 950XL.
    11-04-2016 02:26 PM
    I prefer the x3 to my 950 XL. I really like the added screen real estate and prefer the weight and feel of the x3. The x3 seems faster, more fluid and definitely better battery life. The x3 could use an equalizer though, as I find the sound somewhat muffled.
    Corwin_Amber likes this.
    11-04-2016 03:11 PM
    Originally posted by mmcpher
    I prefer the x3 to my 950 XL. I really like the added screen real estate and prefer the weight and feel of the x3. The x3 seems faster, more fluid and definitely better battery life. The x3 could use an equalizer though, as I find the sound somewhat muffled.
    But what are your thoughts on the camera, especially now with the firmware updated?
    11-04-2016 04:04 PM
    I'm sorry but the biggest glaring problem with the lumia 950xl is the snapdragon 810 chipset. This chipset even messed the android world and caused a lot of issues and sale losses. MS did a wonderful job with taming the heat issues and throttling but not 100%. No one can. So it destroys your battery big time. Especially if you use it for gaming at all. It does throttle. Even notebook review showed it throttling, just less than any other phone with the 810.

I got bad news but you won't see glance screen on any phone. It was a lumia feature that went with the nokia sale to FHD. It's really about licensing. Ms will develop it's own version. MS patents show a type of "glance screen" that allows writing on it like the note 7 did(RIP). So not sure if it will require special screens for the writing parts. My guess is there will be a version that is more bare bones like glance screen. I never use glance screen so don't care.

I think HP did a marvelous job with it. The equalizer is again software. They may even be working with bang and olufsen to get more specialized control. I'm surprised there's no app or settings in another area for it already. Either way if Bang and Olufsen is going to be partnering with more windows mobile providers they should work with MS to have their drivers baked in or at least with the OEMs.

Camera is actually pretty good after all updates (firmware/software).

HP Elite X3: part 4 - Imaging review - All About Windows Phone

It's good enough for me. Seriously most cameras are good enough. No one compares images side by side or prints them out on huge posters. The camera quality obsession is bad when you get websites posting blind tests and people have to look for small differences to be able to tell which camera is better.

You want camera get a samsung s7. Blind tests usually have it winning. Even this website did a blind test where it won, beating your glorious 950xl.

Honestly I didn't get the 950xl for the camera being slightly better than some other phone. I got it for the screen size/res, SOC(best at the time for w10m) and OS choice. Definitely didn't get it for the battery haha.

I would say give alcatel 4s a chance. Wpcentral will have a review soon.
    realwarder likes this.
    11-05-2016 08:16 AM
    Sorry to hear about your disappointment with HP Elite X3.

You pointed out all valid points and these all fall in the hands of HP as the features you all listed are well known to be Lumia exclusive features.
    We can only hope that MS make these features available to OEM or the OEM's should step up to the plate and make their own customized version of these features.

In the end, it's all a matter of priority. HP will probably invest on other features that for them would make sense financially.
    Glance, Double Tap to Wake, Equalizer all nice features but non-essential.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-05-2016 01:07 PM
    Okay so I have a 650 and am planning on getting a new phone really soon. I have numerous complaints about this phone but I don't know which to blaim, the low end hardware or the OS. I was drooling at the X3 right up until release but now I can't stand the thought of getting a $800 dollar phone that has a crummy, or, depending on who you talk to, an above average camera. Those other things you mentioned are not big deals to me because I came from an iPhone (BBQ10 before that, a result of the whole WP7.8/8 debacle when I had a HTC Titan) and it took me forever to get used to glance, which doesn't seem to work all that well (again not sure if it's the phone or OS). I decided that the camera was too big of a deal for me, but then the Idol 4S came out and I got even more uncertain, however Dan says the camera is about the same as the X3. Given that I have a 650, I am sure the X3 will perform miles above in picture quality but I still don't know. Also the IP67 rating give the X3 a boost in comparison to the 950XL.
    Go with the Alcatel Idol 4S. The price is right and it looks positively sexy compared to the Lumia 950.
    11-05-2016 01:09 PM
    Tap to pay...
    MOBBAK likes this.
    11-06-2016 07:28 PM

1) Lower quality camera
    2) No equalizer (wtf)
    3) No Glance (big wtf)
    4) Simple functionality like double tap to wake, a real struggle on this piece of hardware.

Hate me for this if you will, but this is how I feel about the phone. I left the store utterly disappointed.
    All of those things (except double-tap) are due to being "Lumia exclusive". That has always been the case. It would be up to HP to recreate those, or, as they are trying, to get Microsoft to let them have those items.

I do find it curious mention so few pros of the phone over the Lumia 950 XL, which would seem a more fair critique e.g.:

- Better iris scanner
    - Fingerprint reader
    - Quick Charge 3.0
    - Better CPU (less heat, better for battery)
    - Battery life crushes the XL
    - Better display (you mention that)
    - Front firing speakers are much better than XL
    - Better button placement (subjective, but I think uncontroversial)
    - Better haptic feedback/vibrate alerts (subjective, but I think uncontroversial)
    - Better front-facing camera
    - Double internal storage (64GB)
    - More RAM; better Continuum experience
    - IP67 rated for water resistance; MIL STD rated for drops
    - Better accessories, cases on launch

Mind you, not saying you shouldn't want those things you list, or not be "disappointed" (even though my review pointed out nearly all of those limitations, so who can really be shocked when buying this phone besides those who did no research?)

Nonetheless, I think the x3 excels in many important areas for mobile professionals. EQ and Glance are "nice", but I don't consider them to be more necessary over improved battery life, or a better Skype conference call experience.
    11-07-2016 10:42 AM
    I own the x3 3 days now and it a nice phone. But its definitely a compromise if I compare it to my 1520. I lost all the Lumia features and the improvements are pleasant but not mind blowing. Finger scanner is very nice, but in the end I could have stuck with my 1520 without missing out on much. Overall I would recommend getting an 950xl at half the price and keep 400 euro available for the next big thing.
    11-07-2016 11:10 AM
    I don't know if I've ever even looked for an EQ on a phone I've owned, let alone been disappointed by it's exclusion. Let's also keep in mind that OP played with the phone for 5 minutes at a store. Most of the overwhelmingly good reviews I've seen are from people that actually have/use the phone.

I love my Elite x3, it's easily the best/favourite phone I've ever owned (and I've had all the majors: iPhone, Galaxy S, Galaxy Note, 1520, etc...). It's a beast, and nothing compares to that gorgeous 6" screen (not even the 1520, which had a lot of issues with it's display).

Glance would be nice. As would a notification LED (seriously, how is this not a standard feature on every phone made nowadays?). Other than that, it meets all my needs. I'm not regretting a penny of the money I spent on it (and I definitely wouldn't take a 950XL instead).
    libra89 likes this.
    11-07-2016 01:26 PM
    Originally posted by Daniel Rubino
    Originally Posted by KrakenGt1

1) Lower quality camera
    2) No equalizer (wtf)
    3) No Glance (big wtf)

All of those things (except double-tap) are due to being "Lumia exclusive". That has always been the case. It would be up to HP to recreate those, or, as they are trying, to get Microsoft to let them have those items.

I do find it curious mention so few pros of the phone over the Lumia 950 XL, which would seem a more fair critique e.g.:

- Better iris scanner
    - Fingerprint reader
    - Quick Charge 3.0
    - Better CPU (less heat, better for battery)
    - Battery life crushes the XL
    - Better display (you mention that)
    - Front firing speakers are much better than XL
    - Better button placement (subjective, but I think uncontroversial)
    - Better haptic feedback/vibrate alerts (subjective, but I think uncontroversial)
    - Better front-facing camera
    - Double internal storage (64GB)
    - More RAM; better Continuum experience
    - IP67 rated for water resistance; MIL STD rated for drops
    - Better accessories, cases on launch

Mind you, not saying you shouldn't want those things you list, or not be "disappointed" (even though my review pointed out nearly all of those limitations, so who can really be shocked when buying this phone besides those who did no research?)

Nonetheless, I think the x3 excels in many important areas for mobile professionals. EQ and Glance are "nice", but I don't consider them to be more necessary over improved battery life, or a better Skype conference call experience.
    Also Eq is only for wired headed. I use Bluetooth, so it doesn't matter.
    11-07-2016 07:01 PM
    Yeah same here. I do hope MS will one day put glace and the equilizer in the os because keeping it exclusive makes no sense since they discontinued the Lumia line. These kind of exclusives kinda killed competition back in the WP8.0 days.

The only downside to me - personally - is that the x3 is a bit on the big size. I mean, if they made a 5" version of it, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Lack of glance screen is a bummer, but I definitly don't miss DTTW. I just pick up the phone and the screen goes on, or I unlock it with the fingerprint scanner.

And I got the phone for a meager 400,- so I honestly shouldn't complain.
    11-09-2016 10:01 AM
    Yeah same here. I do hope MS will one day put glace and the equilizer in the os because keeping it exclusive makes no sense since they discontinued the Lumia line. These kind of exclusives kinda killed competition back in the WP8.0 days.

The only downside to me - personally - is that the x3 is a bit on the big size. I mean, if they made a 5" version of it, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Lack of glance screen is a bummer, but I definitly don't miss DTTW. I just pick up the phone and the screen goes on, or I unlock it with the fingerprint scanner.

And I got the phone for a meager €400,- so I honestly shouldn't complain.
    11-09-2016 10:01 AM
    I upgraded from a 950xl to the x3 (mostly because the 950xl fell less than a foot onto a soft floor and the screen shattered). The ONLY complaint I have with the x3 is the camera. The camera on the 950xl was great, but to be honest, my Icon took better pictures than it did - so I feel like I am two steps back.

Now, why I didn't go back to a 950xl after trying out the x3:
    -INSTANT log in with fingerprint. Every time, without fail. Wouldn't use double tap to wake if it had it.
    -This thing is much, MUCH faster than a 950xl.
    -I had my x3 off the charger (and constant use during the day) 28 hours and have over 68% battery left.
    -Completely charges in less than an hour.
    -Front speakers are leaps and bounds better than the 950xl

AND FOR THE MOST IMPORTANT:
    -new 2x2 radios gives MUCH better connection for voice and wifi!

There were several areas in my house I could not connect at all on my 950xl, but the x3 has no problem. That is a biggie. The overall build quality and tech in the x3 is so much better than the XL that there is no comparison unless you are a shutterbug - and I have a very nice DSLR if I need a really good shot anyway.
    11-10-2016 04:00 PM
    Here's another perspective. I agree with all ab re how mich better the X3 is than the 950xl. The only thing I miss is the camera as I take pictures all day long. I may have to put my work sim in my S6 just to test how Office Lens is.

Still, button placement, size, screen, and fingerprint are four top features which make my life easier.

Also I was playing with my sons shiny new S7 after he shattered the back of his Note 7.

Touchwiz was awful on my Note 2 and is still awful.

Sent from mTalk
    11-12-2016 11:04 AM
    Hello All,

Hopefully the title of my post doesn't make you think I am biased in anyway. Small disclaimer: I am not a business user. My 950XL is used as a personal device, with no ties to business, at any level.

As for myself, I am a windows phone fanatic. Have had windows phone since the HTC HD2, and windows devices are the only devices I have ever owned. I dislike Apple, and I don't mind Android. Now on to my post:

I went for a visit to the nearest Microsoft store, with a lot of excitement. My intent was to be there, and be out, with a new phone in hand (Elite X3). And there she was, standing in its' display dock, looking all nice and sexy. Unfortunately, that was the best part about this phone, for me, when comparing it to my 950XL. The reasons why I feel the x3 Elite is a downgrade from the lumia 950XL:

Before listing out the cons, I'll weigh in on the positives: Even though this is a large phone, it is SURPRISINGLY easy to hold!! I was very impressed with the design, and how thin this phone is. Another great point, is its' screen. Wow, bright and vibrant. Plus, me knowing that this phone can outlast my 950XL without a sweat...It's easy to see why I was so excited for this phone...until I played with the phone at the store...

At $800+ Tax:

1) The camera isn't what it should be. People will make an excuse for HP (I don't know why) and mention that this is a business phone, and it has no need for a super high end camera. Unfortunately, the argument in itself is very weak. But look, it's alright, I'm not so snap happy...but still, strike 1.

2) No worries I told myself, I'll just mosey on over to the "HP-Display Tools", in hopes that they have some sort of alternative *even a gimped one* to the Glance Screen. Unfortunately, this was another strike against the phone. HP Display is useless to me. I don't care to see the time only when my phone is plugged in to its' dock. Strike 2

3) Alright fine fine, Glance isn't everything, even though it's still a big deal...let me test out this double tap to wake feature which I heard was finicky... so I went to the menu and made sure that double tap to wake was turned on. I locked the phone. I began double tapping, but at no point was I ever able to get it to work. I tapped at different speeds, and with different strengths - to no avail. I even changed the sensitivity settings and such.. nope, nothing. for $800, this phone is starting to look pretty flawed. A simple feature which any other phone can replicate and support with ease, is now a struggle on this phone. granted, it might not have been using the latest firmware - so I was willing to excuse with. Strike 3

4) Ok, lets chalk that one up to an older firmware revision. No big deal....so I started to think, while staring and playing with the phone.. "what else can I do to make me love this phone and buy it this minute...." *light bulb*!!! Finally thought of something....EQUALIZER! I love being able to boost the bass on music that I listen to. So with much excitement, I went to settings, and searched for "equalizer" - NOTHING. No, freaking, equalizer. Great. Strike 4

5) I looked back at my Lumia 950XL and realized all the features this phone already has, and the features the HP is lacking...wtf? For my older Lumia 950XL being a better and more complete product since RELEASE, strike 5 against the HP.

tl;dr:

1) Lower quality camera
    2) No equalizer (wtf)
    3) No Glance (big wtf)

No "NFC Tap To Pay" either, which is a huge deal breaker for me. This along with the giant size/display, high price, glance, dttw, camera, and equalizer make the Elite X3 a no-go for me.
    11-12-2016 12:52 PM
    Hello All,

At $800+ Tax:

tl;dr:

1) Lower quality camera
    2) No equalizer (wtf)
    3) No Glance (big wtf)

Reading this on my lumia 950 xl smiling... :)
    11-13-2016 02:47 AM
    Reading this on my lumia 950 xl smiling... :)
    Yep me too Like i said, the combination of price along with no DTTW, no glance, no NFC payments, and lower quality camera make this phone undesireable for me. But i do have to admit i would love a solid fingerprint scanner on a W10M phone, the Windows Hello Iris Recognition, as fast as it is now, is just unpractical to use 90% of the time to hold up 6" from your face.

It's a shame that MS killed off the Lumia line because even high end alternatives can't compare such as the Elite X3 and Idol 4S. A Lumia 960 w/ all of the 950s current features plus
    1. Snapdragon 820 to replace the 810
    2. 4GB of ram bump from 3GB
    3. Fingerprint sensor on back to replace Iris recognition
    4. Dual front firing speakers
    5. 64GB internal bump from 32GB internal

Would be so clutch right now. One can only fantasize at this point
    11-13-2016 09:45 AM
    I purchased the Elite x3 a week ago and was apprehensive about the $800 investment and weather the phone was going to hit the high or low marks that people have been posting about this phone, again most posts including mine are an opinion.
    Before this my primary phone is a 1520 for the last two years, and absolutely Love it. The only reason for the change is just that change, the 1520 works well and has the occasional brain fart like any other electronic device.
    I do a good bit of travelling for work and have a work phone (iPhone 5s), in my line of work I keep my personal and work life separated, so the x3 is solely a personal device, and the iPhone handles all my mobile related work issues.
    I bought the phone from the windows store the night before leaving out of town on a 7 night trip to 3 different cities. I decided to take only the x3 and leave the 1520 behind. If the phone was going to fail I was going to feel it, but it also made me use the x3.
    I have another post in the forum about my first nights experience with updating the phone, in a nutshell don't install a sd card before the update, (read the full story in the other post). Once the phone was updated and apps reloaded, the phone has been incredible.
    The fingerprint scanner is awesome, It's not a big deal to punch in a code but it's great to pick up the phone with either hand and naturally place your index finger on the scanner and it's opened in a split second. The iris scanner is a novelty for me at this point, you have to unnaturally hold it close to get it to read your eyes and I'm already holding the phone so why not use the print reader.
    The screen is bright and clear, I have set it to auto for the brightness and it's always been good for the environment that I have been in. Transitioning from the 1520, I like the real estate the screen provides. I'm 6'2" 230lbs so the size is excellent for my pocket and hands.
    Another thing I didn't know I was missing on the 1520 is the front facing speakers, no more cupping my hand around the speaker to hear it. In fact as I type this Im listening to Groove with the volume at an 8 and loving it.
    The x3 is definitely more responsive then the 1520, but not to the point that I would switch solely because of it.
    The camera on the x3 is good, is it a 1520 or a 950xl (wife's phone) simply put no. When I get back to a computer I will load up some pictures that I took with the x3. The night pictures in auto were junk, the outdoor and indoor lighting pictures are pretty good. The one big camera disappointment for me is the absolutely annoying "Click" every time you snap a photo. Is the camera enough of a deal breaker to take this back, No. Would I get this phone for my wife who is a professional photographer, No. She is that group of people that blows the pictures up for added detail and printing for comparison and quick pre-shoots before using her professional gear.
    Battery life has been good, I finish the day with between 30-40%. I was winding a day on my 1520 at 10-20%.
    Some other random pros and cons for me:
    I do miss the dedicated camera button
    Skype quality is incredible with this phone,I chalk it up to the processor, and ff camera.
    Initial set up was a nightmare that was solved with the WP Central crowd (Thank you)
    The phone is absolutely awesome looking.
    Call quality has been excellent and the connectivity to our network (T-mobile) has been great.
    The IP67 standards are a huge plus for me and my work and life style. It adds some piece of mind. My 1520 took a beating and looks almost new.

My next purchase is a rugged case and wireless charger base.

I know I'm missing something, if you have a question feel free to ask. I will set up and mess with the dock and continuum when I'm home tomorrow and report back.
    Thank you for reading.
    11-13-2016 10:23 AM
    It's obviously a fairly biased post, as some have pointed out. The only issue with the Elite X3 is the price.

Again, someone's already said this, but the Snapdragon 810 is what ruined the 950XL for me. Overheating, and battery drain are major flaws. This isn't Microsoft's fault, it's Qualcomm's; it did, however, damage the device, and render it unusable for me.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-13-2016 01:49 PM