Anyone use the X3 with Insider Builds?

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I've successfully ran my 950 XL on insider builds. Generally speaking, I was on fast ring. Out of curiosity is anybody using that X 3 on fast ring?

Corwin_Amber

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
You bet - what else? ;)

Seriously, yes, I am using my X3 on the Fast Ring, always with the current build. For me, this is working well. From reading here, I can see, that there seem to be problems when using the wake / sleep mechanism of the original HP cover with a flap. Phone seems to reboot when opening / closing.
Also, personally, I had problems with e.g. HP Device Hub in the first round, it would not start but crash. I later hard reset the X3 and did not apply a backup from the 950XL, rebuilt it side by side, as I have not yet reused the 950XL (family). For me, all is well.

Corwin_Amber

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Aaaah, the first W10M build :) Those were times. I loved (and love, as still in the family) my 1520. But the first screen I had, was full of issues (phantom tap). I once got the screen exchanged and all was well. Which can NOT be said of today, as an unrelated side note. WHY?

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I have one on Fast and one on Production. Fast can have some minor bugs here and there, but for the most part it feels like Production.

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
My x3 has the latest FR build on it. The worst problem I have had is the occasional unexpected reboot. In fairness, there are unexpected advantages as well. A big one is that the camera app under RS2 allows the 4:3 image option in addition to 16:9, meaning you can get 16MP images out of the device instead of the 10MP you are limited to with 16:9. You will need the latest FW update as well, but the FW by itself won't give you the additional camera options on the Release version; looks like only RS2 builds can do that.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Remembering that Wallet in Fast supports (or did support) mobile payments, I updated early this morning since I was pulling a 22 hour stint at work supporting the US election.

So far so good!

19VIVoc.jpg

Sent from mTalk

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
My x3 has the latest FR build on it. The worst problem I have had is the occasional unexpected reboot. In fairness, there are unexpected advantages as well. A big one is that the camera app under RS2 allows the 4:3 image option in addition to 16:9, meaning you can get 16MP images out of the device instead of the 10MP you are limited to with 16:9. You will need the latest FW update as well, but the FW by itself won't give you the additional camera options on the Release version; looks like only RS2 builds can do that.

I agree with all of that.

Corwin_Amber

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Daniel, any idea, when we could realistically expect Firmware updates? I mean, do they have a monthly cycle as well? Any possibility of them doing betas with engaged testers? I am here :)

loudog3114

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
Text messaging completely broke for me on the last fast ring build over the weekend. I assume it was the latest skype preview update that did it. I now can't select any app as the default messaging app, and neither messaging or skype can send texts. WDRT time.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Daniel, any idea, when we could realistically expect Firmware updates? I mean, do they have a monthly cycle as well? Any possibility of them doing betas with engaged testers? I am here :)

No idea. I imagine they test things/add new features and it's ready when it's ready. Right now, most of their feedback is from IT/companies who are trialing the phone for deployment later.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
+1 for Insider Fast on the X3, it's actually quite stable. I had one issue a couple weeks ago a couple builds back that did require a WDRT reset, I think it was a weird glitch caused by a reset/restore from backup/new insider Fast build. Haven't seen it since though.

swbf2lord

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Honestly no offense. If you are asking this question, Fast Ring may not be for you.
Generally, you gain newer app versions, fresh bugs and features.
That much is fairly obvious. I'm asking for specific features. Tap-to-pay is only for the Lumia currently, yes? Is there anything that's worth the change? I don't mind putting up with a few bugs for worthwhile features (and rapid updates), but I'd like to know what they are.

Sent from mTalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss