notification sounds

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
The single most annoying thing about the Elite X3 in my opinion is the insane volume of (and inability to disable) the camera shutter and record start/end sounds. The video record start/end is so loud it's stupid

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
The Nokia sounds and ringtones were only included on Nokia (and MS Mobile, I assume) phones. Since they belonged to Nokia they're not available to other companies.
You should be able to find them to download online though. Just do a search, it shouldn't be hard to find the ones you want.

The camera sounds are required by law in some regions (to protect privacy by ensuring people are aware of cameras) and therefore cannot be disabled. It's annoying, yes, but I don't think HP has much control over this.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Originally posted by DOGC_Kyle
The Nokia sounds and ringtones were only included on Nokia (and MS Mobile, I assume) phones. Since they belonged to Nokia they're not available to other companies.
You should be able to find them to download online though. Just do a search, it shouldn't be hard to find the ones you want.

The camera sounds are required by law in some regions (to protect privacy by ensuring people are aware of cameras) and therefore cannot be disabled. It's annoying, yes, but I don't think HP has much control over this.

Understand the regulations, but what I don't understand is why my 950XL doesn't have the same requirement... It was sold in the US as well

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Seems like it's only required in some parts of the world. As far as I can tell, it's not required in North America.

Apparently HP could add the setting for countries in which it is allowed. MS has instructions for OEMs here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn757402(v=vs.85).aspx
That site actually has some interesting stuff. There's information on enabling notification LEDs. Would be nice to have both of these in future firmware updates, if it is indeed possible.

Pending that, maybe someone will figure out an 'unofficial' way to create and apply the customization file required to change these settings. The information is there but I have no idea how to go about applying it. :grin:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I have most of the Lumia soundfiles. Really enjoy them. Have them in mp3 WMA and m4r/m4a formats. I haven them this way so to be able to move them to whatever device I need them on. On windows phones you just need to plug in a sync cable and copy them to the ringtones folder.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Originally posted by Nate W
I have most of the Lumia soundfiles. Really enjoy them. Have them in mp3 WMA and m4r/m4a formats. I haven them this way so to be able to move them to whatever device I need them on. On windows phones you just need to plug in a sync cable and copy them to the ringtones folder.

Cool! Willing to share on OneDrive or something? :)

Charliest

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
It appears to me that it should be possible to add a notification LED toggle (and for that matter any of the mods that are based purely on registry changes) by using Interop Tools app. Can someone with more experience please comment, or better yet try the mod themselves?

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
The elite x3 has less choices for notification sounds. Is there a way to get the old lumia sounds over?
Yeah, it was annoying. Google and you shall be rewarded. I have a mix of Lumia, Blackberry, and Samsung sounds for text, voicemail and email.

Now if only Microsoft would allow me to cha he the default notification.

Sent from mTalk

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site

I was told specifically for Japan where the sound is required. HP cut down on costs by having one ROM/build for these phones instead of dozens of regionalized variants, hence everyone gets the camera sound now. It's annoying, but at least the new camera shutter sound is a lot less annoying than the pre-AU one.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It appears to me that it should be possible to add a notification LED toggle (and for that matter any of the mods that are based purely on registry changes) by using Interop Tools app. Can someone with more experience please comment, or better yet try the mod themselves?
I'm willing to try to do that and it should be possible. I just reset my x3 though after it had 4 consecutive crashes in a row yesterday, just set it up, and want to use it for some time. This way I know I'm good before going down a path of reg edits.

Sent from mTalk

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I wish you success!
There are two options, that I know of that a ROM builder has when choosing how to add the camera shutter sound UI (the check box option). If added it is either visible or not in Windows 10 Mobile via Settings-->Personalization-->Sounds. If added it can be editable via the registry with a 0 for hidden or 1 for visible. The other way is to not have the setting issued to the registry when building the factory FFU, in which case causes the shutter sound UI to be disabled/unavailable completely, making the sound always occur, and defaulting it to also override the volume mute option. This last option is available for regions where the shutter sound is required. HP chose the latter option here for reasons which we already know about. There are potentially a couple of ways that I know of that could get the option back into the registry. One requires full file system access, the other would involve gaining edit access to the needed registry hive to add the values needed. Both ways as far as I know have not been discovered yet. So for now, as far as I can see, we are stuck with the shutter sound.

Edit: If someone knows where the audio file is located that is used for the shutter sound, going at it that way might be another way to make it go away.

SeiShinRyu

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Did someone try to add other ringtones to the phone?. I was able to put new ones into the device ringtones folder, but they are not available in the sounds personalization menu.

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
I dont get why this should be an issue of needing a "regional" build variant, but rather just a small policy database?

Can't be that hard to use the last GPS locational to pull up regional limits like date and time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3