Loose Sim Tray Door

dpgx81

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Anyone else have an issue that the black plastic on the sim tray door wobbles and seems loose? I have had to swap SD Cards several times due to issues with the card disappearing and am concerned with the longevity/durability of the black plastic door being loose on the tray.

I tried getting on chat with HP yesterday but they never arrived to open a ticket, does anyone know if we can order replacements and what the process might be? Thanks!

dpgx81

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Ouch they want to replace the whole device instead of just the tray.... I'm not willing to give the phone up for a few weeks to achieve that at this point.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else have an issue that the black plastic on the sim tray door wobbles and seems loose? I have had to swap SD Cards several times due to issues with the card disappearing and am concerned with the longevity/durability of the black plastic door being loose on the tray.

I tried getting on chat with HP yesterday but they never arrived to open a ticket, does anyone know if we can order replacements and what the process might be? Thanks!
I was slightly taken that there was no ejector needed. When I installed the sim the first time I booted my x3 I inspected the tray and did notice some play there, I believed it was this way by design. It was not super wobbly. I owned an htc a9 that was this way by design. Did you talk with someone at hp who really knows the device that can say if it's a defect or not?

sent by mTalk

dpgx81

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
It was just someone on their chat support service, they didnt seem to know one way or the other if it was supposed to be that way. With the work travel I have lined up right now I just wasn't willing to give my device up while I'm on the road, so I'm holding off for now.

I know HP usually offers FRU numbers for spare parts for other products - ie drive trays, etc. So I was a little taken when she said I'd have to exchange the whole phone. I was hoping to spend 30 dollars and get a replacement tray tbh. Not sure if anyone else has a contact at HP that might be able to assist but they did say at this point that part is not orderable by itself.

Thank you for confirming your tray also has some play though, it's a relief to know this is normal to some degree.

dpgx81

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
While inserted it seems secure, its just the pulling of the tray and sliding it back in concerns me. We've been passing it around the office for testing with the lap dock and I'm taking it on a few trips with me now so I became a little overly paranoid I suppose. I too wish it had the push pin for sim removal, I like that system better.

Last edited:

Corwin_Amber

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Like I said in the other thread, I think it is by design (same here). It was the same e.g. on the Lumia 1520. If you ever had a 920 which would not really fit the door, this might be the reason. I think it is fine, as long s it is right when closed.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
While inserted it seems secure, its just the pulling of the tray and sliding it back in concerns me. We've been passing it around the office for testing with the lap dock and I'm taking it on a few trips with me now so I became a little overly paranoid I suppose. I too wish it had the push pin for sim removal, I like that system better.
Ya would be a bummer to lose the plastic door part off it...

sent by mTalk

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that is normal. The door and tray are separate pieces and it is normal for them to have some play. When it's completely inserted, it should be secure.

Also, one tip if you're finding it hard to pull the tray out: the end of a plastic ruler, or a guitar pick, work very well for separating the door from the device body. Just push it in the gap on the door, towards the back of the device. If you're using something thin enough, it should pop out easily.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon