retiring 950xl for an elite x3

alucke

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I am in the market for new phone to replace my 950xl. I am currently looking at the elite x3. Does the finger print reader work on the elite x3? How good is the elite x3? Would it be worth upgrading to an elite x3? any help would be appreciated

alucke

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
FWIW, the 950 XL only has four advantages over the X3. First, the X3 doesn't support the new MS mobile payment on the Wallet app. Second, the camera on the X3 is vastly sub-par.. Third, the X3 doesn't support Glance Screen. Fourth, the X3 can only have one SIM and one SD, not two SIM and SD.

Other than that, I've been happy with the X3 since switching from my 950xl. Bigger screen, better internals, better button placement, way the heck better speakers all combine for a rewarding experience..

Sent from mTalk

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
You could buy 3 950xls for the cost of 1 x3, is it really worth all that money considering it will run the very same operating system ? The specs, do they really stand out from a user point of view? is the use of the x3 really smoother and quicker than the 950xl?
I would not upgrade along these lines personally, mainly because of the cost, but if cost was no issue then yes, why not.
For me with a young son, phones are lovely objects that they like to investigate and often break, so I could not justify the purchase of x3.
Sub par camera would bother me too. If I upgrade I expect almost everything to be superior, not inferior.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
FWIW, the 950 XL only has four advantages over the X3. First, the X3 doesn't support the new MS mobile payment on the Wallet app. Second, the camera on the X3 is vastly sub-par.. Third, the X3 doesn't support Glance Screen. Fourth, the X3 can only have one SIM and one SD, not two SIM and SD.

Other than that, I've been happy with the X3 since switching from my 950xl. Bigger screen, better internals, better button placement, way the heck better speakers all combine for a rewarding experience..

Sent from mTalk

You forgot DTTW. The fake "DTTW" on the X3 according to Dan and Zac uses the accelerometer and not the screen so its more like double knock to wake and works really s.hitty according to them, might as well not even be there.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey I'd love to have an Elite X3, but ...
  • the price is still rather steep
  • the camera is not as good as my Lumia 1520, or my (ordered) Lumia 950XL
  • It does NOT have everything (DTTW)

That being said, the specs are superior, with some firmware / software it could be super phone.

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
If you are getting the x3, I would suggest you to get the 999 bundle right now. So that you get the complete x3 experience.

Bob Jung1

Dec 1, 2016
Visit site
Got my HP elite now for 4 weeks. After two it fel down out of my car on the street, corner screen broken. Its miner and not in the display area.
But now after 4 weeks it goes complete on black.
The hp customer service did ask for a ?320 repair to replace the display, which until now I did not. Adding the complete blackout of the phone too it sucks. Militaire specs, nice commercial advertisement, not worth anything.
Still waiting for service to get my device in for repair under warranty, but they are silence.
Till now worst experience with a phone ever. My Lumia 950xl is back out of the pocket. Hope I can correct this story soon, with a good service experience. But I will not spend anything to this device close to the new price. Better buy a new one.

With my experience so far and back to the Lumia 950xl, I would say no.
Save your money.
Likes about Lumia 950XL
1) Camera button
2) glance
3) perfect fit in hand. Not a slippery device.
4) Mozo cover for the looks.
5) photo quality.
6) screen edge better protected, the hp display is the first thing hitting anything and breaks easy. Its raised above the housing.

Likes about the X3
1) display size and screen, a beauty
2) speed of the device
3) iris scan is better and faster.
4) finger scanner

Bjfcm

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Go for it.

I have the 1520 and loved the size . I was very upset when the battery died and AT&T left me hanging with the 5'2 Inch 950 , but I hate Android and IPhone I am ' Grandfathered in a ATT so I got the 950. I was not pleased with 950 size.

. Next I had a chance to get the 950 xl and was pleased until I went in the store and picked up the HP Elite X3!!! [ For the record , I personally replaced my 1520 Battery] and was going back n forth between that and the 950 XL

Anyway , after seeing and holding the HP Elite X3..... I knew I had to have it!!!. This weekend I took advantage of the HP Sale and I am waiting for delivery. I am a power user Calendar , Excel Word , not into games , Snapchat or Camera Button ( Pictures aren't a make or break) I have only heard good things about the Elite and I filter out irrelevant opinions. . Size , and Battery life are what's important to me and so I have no problem switching to a phone that I want.

I do understand that the cost &, camera are important to other people
and respect that , But this is the phone I have been waiting for after the 1520 .

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by alucke
I am in the market for new phone to replace my 950xl. I am currently looking at the elite x3. Does the finger print reader work on the elite x3? How good is the elite x3? Would it be worth upgrading to an elite x3? any help would be appreciated

alucke

After using 950XL since release, and now Elite x3 for a month, I don't miss using the 950XL, which is now my beta tester for RS2. I keep Elite on production release. Depending on how you use your phone, here are my impressions:

Battery life is significantly better on Elite. Typically I have still more than 20% after a 12-13hr of use. I rarely ever need to recharge on the road. Nice to feel that you don't have to carry an external battery pack every time you go out. The Qi and PMA is also nice. While 950 has both too, 950XL only had Qi. I can now go to Starbucks, and use their PMA chargers on the table if I like.

The screen size and device size takes getting used to, but it is better for browsing, video, and even read/type word articles. Colors on it a spot on.

Build quality is better. Solid, doesn't creak, buttons are tight. You should get a case for it. The hp rugged case is tough and still feels sleek. It has a lanyard hole too, so I plan to get one for easier and more secure handling.

Fingerprint scanner is fast, like my work phone 6 that I don't use anymore. The placement is much better than iPhone. Iris scanner is helpful on winter days when I have a glove on. Iris scanner on Elite is faster than 950XL for sure.

Photo quality of Elite is not bad at all in day light. The main weakness is low light noise, focus speed relative to 950XL. Both are not fast for me. My dSLR shoots 14fps with unlimited buffer, so any phone camera is really a painful turtle. I find saving images on HDR on elite freezes a lot, so I don't use it. But saving on 950XL is very slow on HDR, and it hangs and sometimes loses the pic altogether. So I don't really miss the camera on 950XL that much, except the camera button to wake is nice to have.

Tap to pay on 950XL is nice to have if you have a bank that works on it. I used it a handful of times, but some vendors don't support it like CVS for some reasons, but works at Walgreens and Bestbuy. At this point, it is still not popular enough to make a difference. Credit card is in my wallet all the time. The Wallet app loyalty card works on both devices, and I use that more often.

Glance I do miss, but the double tap to wake on Elite is more like raise to wake. Take it out of the pocket, it works all the time. It also wakes when you place it on the desk, which is annoying a bit for me. But if I do need to check lock screen, a slight raise and place back on the desk will do the trick. Hp can probably tune this more in future FW.

Speakers are better on Elite, and they are stereo, one from the ear port and one on bottom. The included headphones are pretty good, much better than 950xl for sure if you got a non US model. US models don't even include headsets. I use Bluetooth wireless headphones daily, and the quality is same as 950.

Haven't used continuum yet, but the desk dock charges really fast. I also got the hp wireless charger, which is a fine looking device but slower of course.

Price is about the same as when 950xl first came out, and online you can get Elite with desk dock for $750 from several places. With the recent $599 deal, I think it is a great value. Funny how no one says iPhone or Samsung are expensive, when they are. Carrier deals make them easier to get for people that don't buy the device in full upfront that's all. So it is not expensive for a premium phone, and it feels comparable to iPhone 6 in everyway. Metal doesn't make it more premium, just more slippery. You have to put a case on it anyway unless you don't care about scratches.

This will be my daily driver for the coming year, until Surface Mobile comes out with RS3 I hope. I get new phones every yr or so, just because I like new tech and have family members that I can off load old devices to and help spread the MS love.

alucke

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
only thing I use the phone for is facebook, accuweather, watching videos, and listening to music. Is the elite x3 still for me?

aespix

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
I hope you didn't go and buy the x3,

The features they advertised are all in beta including the lap dock which is basically the main selling point ,

Don't know if you watched Dan rubinos video where he basically stated that live on the video,

Still got my 950 xl and I can honestly say I haven't seen any difference in performance between the 2, windows isn't an android device so it doesn't need the biggest chipset to do what it does and I'm assuming you use Windows because you don't play games and aren't app crazy.

Better alternatives,

Honestly I'm holding onto the xl until I see something better from Microsoft, because the xl will be supported for a really long time and that's pretty much brilliant.

My bottom line , don't waste your money.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
... Honestly I'm holding onto the xl until I see something better from Microsoft, because the xl will be supported for a really long time and that's pretty much brilliant ...

Don't be so sure about that statement. I just got (Black Friday) my Lumia 950XL & that was one of my concerns.

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
So, i bought an X3 on a whim and have been using it for around a week.

Came from a 950XL DS, but i think i will be going back to it.

I love the screen on the X3, its so bright and vibrant, the speed it marginally faster (maybe my 950XL just needs a hard reset?) and the battery life is fantastic after the latest firmware and OS update!

I use my phone a lot to take photos, and i dont find the quality of the X3's camera anywhere near as good as the 950XL. Lacking the camera button is a big thing for me. I took several videos at a club the other night, sadly it couldn't get focus most of the time. I don't remember the 950XL having that problem in low light conditions.

I'm torn, I think I may sell on the HP............

Simon Edmunds

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I nearly went for the x3 but after seeing a side by side comparison with the 950xl of photo and video recording, the 950 made the x3 look pretty **** poor. Considering the hefty price tag of the x3, HP could have made more effort with this. It would have been a deal breaker for me. I think the x3 would still be an upgrade, but only by a small margin and currently the 950xl is still a very capable phone so I will be sticking with the 950 for now. I am still clinging to the hope that MS will pull a new surface phone out the bag in time but I wont hold my breath just yet! Unless you really feel the need to upgrade now, I would wait until spring/summer of next year. The price of the x3 may have come down by then so you may save a few pennies as well! Good luck!

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I nearly went for the x3 but after seeing a side by side comparison with the 950xl of photo and video recording, the 950 made the x3 look pretty **** poor. Considering the hefty price tag of the x3, HP could have made more effort with this. It would have been a deal breaker for me. I think the x3 would still be an upgrade, but only by a small margin and currently the 950xl is still a very capable phone so I will be sticking with the 950 for now. I am still clinging to the hope that MS will pull a new surface phone out the bag in time but I wont hold my breath just yet! Unless you really feel the need to upgrade now, I would wait until spring/summer of next year. The price of the x3 may have come down by then so you may save a few pennies as well! Good luck!

What makes you think a Surface phone won't be similarly (like the EliteX3) Enterprise focused, without the Camera niceties.
Corners may be cut, to price the device competitively ... Camera may get the short end of the stick ... or NOT.
Depending on what you read, this is still a concept / vaporware / an idea ...
When a Release is announced, complete with a Surface Mobile Device dog & pony show, only then will it (possibly) come to fruition.
In the meantime, ' ... wish in 1 hand ...' - well you know the rest.

I sincerely hope the Surface device comes to fruition, and soon, it could be a game changer.

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
ok, back on my 950XL, but only a few days. one of my Telcos has decided to switch off their 2G network which means i cant use that SIM in slot 2.=. I have to stick with the X3 now which supports 3G on the 2nd slot!

i have to admit, using the 950XL the last few days, the HP feels better to use. its larger, but somehow doesnt seem that big.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss