Remote Desktop Options for Continuum

KrayMat

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I am planning to set up a PC at my office strictly for remote desktop access for myself and a coworker with our elite x3's. Anyone done this? What remote desktop clients work best with continuum? I've tried the native remote desktop app and it will connect on my local network, but not from outside the network (yes, I opened port 3389 on the router and am using a static IP).

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I've found that Windows Remote Desktop works very well (there's also RemoteApp, which requires more setup, but should allow apps to be run on the x3 as if they were native. I'll be trying this soon.). It's lightweight, free, doesn't require additional software, and is very reliable. This would be my first choice for remote access, although there are others, I've heard TeamViewer is good too.

Make sure Remote Desktop is set up properly on the computer you're connecting to. Right-click Start, System, Remote Settings, and make sure "Allow remote connections to this computer" as well as the checkbox below it (Network Level Authentication) are selected.
Also make sure port forwarding is set up properly (3389, TCP) to the right IPs (internal IP of the computer on the network). The IP address in the Remote Desktop app must be the external IP only (no port number or PC name).
Lastly, check your username and password in the Remote Desktop app. If you're using a MS Account on the computer, use the same email and password. If it's a local account, it must have a password.

Other than those tips (some of which may be obvious), I don't think there's anything else you need to do to get it working. What error are you getting?

KrayMat

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I allowed remote access, and it connects fine from within the local network. When I turn off wifi (on phone) and try to connect it acts like it is connecting(I get a certificate/confirmation pop up), and when I click connect on the pop up it says "failed to connect to the gateway due to an error".

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Are you using a gateway? I don't know exactly how that works, I've only used it with a single PC.
If you're directly connecting to a single PC, edit the PC (in the Remote Desktop app) and it should say "No gateway" (under Show more).
Other than that, you might want to do a web search on that error (or if it gives you any other error message/code).

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Could be the Windows firewall. By default it doesn't allow RDP over public networks. I wouldn't do it this way, I'd set up a VPN to my network then rdp from there as it's more secure.

Corwin_Amber

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Kurt, exactly. It is not a good idea to put your PCs RDP Port into the public internet. Indeed it is a very bad one.

Give Teamviewer a try (www.teamviewer.com). It will work on the PC, over the internet, is secure from the start and is having a universal (-> Continuum) app. If you want to use microsoft RDP, you should really set up a vpn to your office network (on the router). You should go for IKEv2, do NOT use PPTP (many routers only do that). If you do not know, what this means, really leave it at that and use teamviewer.

KrayMat

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Kurt, exactly. It is not a good idea to put your PCs RDP Port into the public internet. Indeed it is a very bad one.

Give Teamviewer a try (www.teamviewer.com). It will work on the PC, over the internet, is secure from the start and is having a universal (-> Continuum) app. If you want to use microsoft RDP, you should really set up a vpn to your office network (on the router). You should go for IKEv2, do NOT use PPTP (many routers only do that). If you do not know, what this means, really leave it at that and use teamviewer.

Thank you. I have limited knowledge of networking, but I do know how to set up port forwarding. I have no idea how to set up a VPN though. We don't have sensitive info stored on our network, but still I think you are right, I should just go with teamviewer.

Corwin_Amber

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
KrayMat, I am sure, that there are loads of sensitive information on your network. And even if that was not the case, you would not want your machines and internet connection misused for crimes (which you could get in trouble for, at least initially).
Tell us, how it went with Teamviewer :) I like it a lot, I also saw it at work in enterprise environments several times, it is a good platform with complete Windows 10 support. And it is free for personal use.

KrayMat

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
KrayMat, I am sure, that there are loads of sensitive information on your network. And even if that was not the case, you would not want your machines and internet connection misused for crimes (which you could get in trouble for, at least initially).
Tell us, how it went with Teamviewer :) I like it a lot, I also saw it at work in enterprise environments several times, it is a good platform with complete Windows 10 support. And it is free for personal use.

You're right. Question about VPN though: to set it up, we would need to pay for a service? I see VPN setup in my netgear router config page. It has an option to enable, then openVPN configuration files for different devices. So I assume I would purchase a service and import the configuration data into the service?

Corwin_Amber

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
You're right. Question about VPN though: to set it up, we would need to pay for a service? I see VPN setup in my netgear router config page. It has an option to enable, then openVPN configuration files for different devices. So I assume I would purchase a service and import the configuration data into the service?
Nope, no VPN service anywhere there. You would set up your netgear router as VPN endpoint. You would then configure your Phone to connect to that endpoint. It would be a liason only between your router and whatever device you configure to connect there.

Problems here:
- Windows 10 Mbile does not support OpenVPN. That is, why I wrote earlier to look for IKEv2, as that is the most secure and resilient (connection drops) protocol supported by Windows 10 mobile. And also, it is quite hard to find as supported e.g. on routers. Most do l2tp/ipsec (fine), some do PPTP (do NOT USE!). And that, again, is, why I wrote to use teamviewer.
- you would need a static ip-address - but while writing this I think I remember you mentioning that you have that

Teamviewer does not need a vpn or a port-forwarding, as they are using own servers and protocols, to bridge the gap over your router. It is important, that you set good, long, unique passwords, as always, nothing new here. You can also set up a teamviewer account and add your machines there - for private use it is all free. And seriously, when you are using a handful of machines, nobody will ask.

Seriously and no offense whatsoever, if you are interested in this kind of things, read. There is so many sources. Start at wikipedia ;)

KrayMat

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Nope, no VPN service anywhere there. You would set up your netgear router as VPN endpoint. You would then configure your Phone to connect to that endpoint. It would be a liason only between your router and whatever device you configure to connect there.

Problems here:
- Windows 10 Mbile does not support OpenVPN. That is, why I wrote earlier to look for IKEv2, as that is the most secure and resilient (connection drops) protocol supported by Windows 10 mobile. And also, it is quite hard to find as supported e.g. on routers. Most do l2tp/ipsec (fine), some do PPTP (do NOT USE!). And that, again, is, why I wrote to use teamviewer.
- you would need a static ip-address - but while writing this I think I remember you mentioning that you have that

Teamviewer does not need a vpn or a port-forwarding, as they are using own servers and protocols, to bridge the gap over your router. It is important, that you set good, long, unique passwords, as always, nothing new here. You can also set up a teamviewer account and add your machines there - for private use it is all free. And seriously, when you are using a handful of machines, nobody will ask.

Seriously and no offense whatsoever, if you are interested in this kind of things, read. There is so many sources. Start at wikipedia ;)

Thank you so much for your help.

Christian_1

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I used TeamViewer but the issue I have with it is that everyone see what you do on your PC when you work remotely. In the PC, non uwp, version of TeamViewer you have an option to blank the remote screen but not the universal app (uwp) has not that option.

In my case, we use cisco anywhere VPN solution. They have a Windows mobile app or plugin that integrates with W10 mobile VPN.

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Just to note

Locally, you would be connecting via network discovery i.e. "PC_NAME" or a local IP address.

You have to connect through your public IP if you turn your Wifi off, so it would have to be a new connection entirely different to what you used locally..

If you're not using the standard port, you have to add it on to the end, i.e. IP:0000

KrayMat

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I used TeamViewer but the issue I have with it is that everyone see what you do on your PC when you work remotely. In the PC, non uwp, version of TeamViewer you have an option to blank the remote screen but not the universal app (uwp) has not that option.

In my case, we use cisco anywhere VPN solution. They have a Windows mobile app or plugin that integrates with W10 mobile VPN.

I'll check out the cisco vpn. I also dont like that about team viewer; one solution is to just disconnect the monitor on the remote PC. Ours will be in our server room, so not really visible to other employees.

KrayMat

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Just to note

Locally, you would be connecting via network discovery i.e. "PC_NAME" or a local IP address.

You have to connect through your public IP if you turn your Wifi off, so it would have to be a new connection entirely different to what you used locally..

If you're not using the standard port, you have to add it on to the end, i.e. IP:0000

Got it, I was able to get connected from outside the network.

KrayMat

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Dis you use a VPN, or just setup port forward access? I'd like to do this but currently use a sslvpn client that has an - ugh - ActiveX control.

Sent from mTalk

I just opened the port. My problem was I had my pc's local IP in the "pc name" field and our router static IP in the gateway. I put our static IP in the pc name field and selected no gateway, that worked. I since closed the port, bc no vpn, but at least I know how to do it now.

jssmarathon

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I have literally spent five hours trying to figure this out.

First thing I did was set up a static IP for the computer am trying to connect to and that works fine

Connection with Remote Desktop works fine when I am on the network, but even though I have correctly forwarded the port 3389 through my router and check that it is visible through can you see me, and checked in the registry that it is the correct port to be listening, checked that all services are running, and everything else I can think of but I cannot get it to work unless I'm on the same network.

I can get it to work with team viewer but I really would just like to have the option to use Microsoft's Remote Desktop client I feel the Interface is cleaner.

Can someone help me troubleshoot this?

Thank you so much in advance if somebody has a clue.

:unhappysweat:

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I have literally spent five hours trying to figure this out.

First thing I did was set up a static IP for the computer am trying to connect to and that works fine

Connection with Remote Desktop works fine when I am on the network, but even though I have correctly forwarded the port 3389 through my router and check that it is visible through can you see me, and checked in the registry that it is the correct port to be listening, checked that all services are running, and everything else I can think of but I cannot get it to work unless I'm on the same network.

I can get it to work with team viewer but I really would just like to have the option to use Microsoft's Remote Desktop client I feel the Interface is cleaner.

Can someone help me troubleshoot this?

Thank you so much in advance if somebody has a clue.

:unhappysweat:
Make sure you're using your external IP, not your computer's IP (which only identifies it on the local network). Type "what's my IP" into Cortana (or Bing/Google) and press Enter to get your external IP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers