W10 and ARM... here we are!

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Would be nice to see them make it run on older devices such as Surface RT or even the Lumia 950XL. Probably requires too much resources and speed for that though.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Oh, MS have a new toy to play with. It's like what Windows RT should have been all those years ago. It's not really usable for phones though, it would still need its own UI when used as a phone. It's one thing it can run on a phone, the another is the screen is too small for that. And they went to all that trouble with Continuum while what this would need is to connect to a bigger screen without any UWP involved. Does this make Continuum another dead end?

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I had no doubt about it. MS have always been quick to drop any uncomfortable baggage when chasing after the next future failure. This won't be any different.

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
I am thrilled by this news. This can means million possibilities.
May be starting with Surface 4 with ARM full Windows 10.
Then, may be sometimes in the future, this feature can come to mobile - or rather, W10M and W10 will be too much integrated t be called separately.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
According to this link, the Elite X3 won't be supported.

Existing Windows Phone Flagships Won?t Be Able to Run Desktop Apps

Although it will be unfortunate if this is true, but I can see why this is a good move.

1) HP had designed the Elite X3 to take advantage of HP's own desktop virtualization, or HP Workspace. Introducing the W10 for ARM would render the HP Workspace useless, therefore causing HP's own technology to be in vain. Thus upgrading the W10M-running Elite X3 to W10 on ARM would simply be a loss to HP in the nearest future. Maybe they'll adopt the W10 on ARM for their next Elite X3.

2) IMO the reason why Microsoft showed off the tech using the current SD820 chip is simply because they wanted to tell the whole world that the technology is here, RIGHT NOW. It's already here, and it works. That's it. I for one don't think they're trying to push the consumers mindset into thinking that the W10 on ARM will be made available for the SD820 since if you watch the showcase video closely, it wasn't that smooth at all. Watching the trailer video, you obviously could see stutters.

3) Newer SoCs will definitely run the W10 on ARM better than SD820, preventing the downfall of W10M that is bugs that came with the last Lumia flagships, the 950/XL.

EuroKnuter

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure that I would desire swapping out W10M for W10 on my X3: It isn't my use case and I think I would prefer the lighter weight OS and app store apps. I have a SB that covers me w.r.t. power and portability - now that is a HIGHLY portable desktop-class computer. Others will benefit from the apps that will run on ARM coupled with the ability to put them in your front pocket, but my desktop applications require much more power (today, at least). My portability is covered by having a laptop that can run desktop apps. Let me put it this way: I'm running an i7 over an i5. Core M and i3 weren't even considerations, let alone any of the 'mobile' processors. I can't imagine the SD835 will touch my i7, so I have no expectations for the SD820 to be able to handle it either.

In the interest of full disclosure I do not always travel with my SB, but I do travel w/ a Bluetooth keyboard and the Lumia dock. I have yet to find a situation where I've actually used them beyond trying it out (and ensuring that I can should the need arise).

All of that is just to say that I'm very happy for the direction of the ecosystem, have no regrets if W10 with "full" x86 power runs on other people's newer phones late next year / early 2018. That's extremely awesome and I'm ecstatic to see it! I think that in the near future and for sure further down the road I'll see benefits from this technology more directly. The benefits simply will not be realized on my X3.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it actually runs on the 820 soc. The wording is very precise. The same "CPU" as the 820. The 820 is a soc which combines multiple things including a CPU. Sure it may run on the kryo cpu but it's possible the SOC contains a separate component that was developed by MS to go into newer qualcomm models. Or something else on the silicon that can make the emulation faster. If it's all done at the software layer there's no real need to even involve qualcomm in the process for compatibility.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
With this news I don't think W10M will be phased out. After all Windows 10 still needs a mobile interface for phones.

The good thing about this is when in Continuum mode, at least now we can run x86 programs for increased productivity.

When in phone mode, it will still be running Windows 10 Mobile.

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
One of the articles mentioned that W10M is ~4 GB installation space, while W10 Full is ~20 GB. Still a lot of low end phones being produced with 8/16 GB of space, so this would be for the high end only until storage prices dropped enough, and then it will likely required 40 GB :winktongue:

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Most likely it could run on the x3 (I don't see any limitations on the SoC itself, might be wrong) but it probably wouldn't be a good experience. Remember what happened when they tried to put W10 onto the older Lumias? It ran, sure, but the experience wasn't good so they didn't want to roll it out publically.

There's a lot more to getting a desktop OS (even a slimmer variant like W10M) running on tiny devices than just processor architecture (which wasn't an issue with the older Lumias, and probably won't be an issue now). You could totally run Win10 AU on a device with a comparable CPU and 3GB of RAM, but once you factor in the heat and power limitations of a very thin, 6" device, it's not going to be a great experience, and might not be worthwhile to pursue since there's only so much you can optimize before it becomes more practical to switch out the bottlenecked component.
(Of course, maybe I'm wrong; I didn't think it was possible to get x86 code running on an ARM chip, but here we are.)

I'd personally love to see them do it anyways though. Would be great to say that all these devices already out in user's hands can now run full Windows - it's not like they promised it would be a good experience, or even existed at all, so there's really no downside there. But I wouldn't expect them to go out of their way to get it working.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
They pitched Windows phones with Continuum as a potential laptop replacement, now these cellular PCs are doing the same, they are light, less power hungry, but still can do the same as a laptop and will have a big screen. My money is on a cellular PC. I don't see this as an USP for a phone. Maybe if you could project the picture from the phone directly on the wall or something to get rid of a dependency on a screen. But then touch would be gone.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
They pitched Windows phones with Continuum as a potential laptop replacement, now these cellular PCs are doing the same, they are light, less power hungry, but still can do the same as a laptop and will have a big screen. My money is on a cellular PC. I don't see this as an USP for a phone. Maybe if you could project the picture from the phone directly on the wall or something to get rid of a dependency on a screen. But then touch would be gone.

The PC space will maintain the current intel versions of 2-in-1s and newer cheaper alternatives. The ARM based alternatives are what are going to spark the growth of the ecosystem. While they will emulate these types of apps my guess is that rising market share may make companies build out UWP apps to make sure everyone is getting the best experience possible. The tools/api set will let them publish to either architecture and as a result mobile could benefit, including anyone on windows 10 mobile right now and who has continuum. Sooner or later MS wants to destroy the reliance on w32 and only businesses may need emulation for their inhouse built apps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99