HP Elite x3 or Lumia 950 XL?

Kaeron13

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
X3. It is one year younger and in tech years that's a fair amount. Better hardware. B&O speakers. The only down side I can see is the camera.
I have a Lumia 930 which is good but a true upgrade would be X3.

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I am leaning towards the x3. I got mine a week ago but just started really using it yesterday.
I will probably be replacing my 950XL with the x3 full-time. Right now the only downside for me as been the camera but it isn't that bad. OIS would be GREAT though. The lack of glance take some getting used to but I think I'm about there already. I wish some of the Microsoft "Extras" were there like EQ and stuff but besides that the x3 is much snappier and pleasant to use.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I would take the X3 for the reasons stated above. I would add that HP builds good hardware and surely the quality build of the 950 & 950xl left a lot to be desired.

Now, as a consumer, I would go for the 950 XL. Even with the build quality, it is still a fine device and the camera is a very important need for me.

KrakenGt1

Nov 3, 2016
Visit site
I'd choose the Lumia 950xl, as the x3 has less features aside from their premium remote emulation service.

The X3 is a great phone, however it doesn't have Glance, or any of the other Nokia exclusive features like equalizer (for audiophiles really) that we are used to seeing on windows mobile handsets. There is a list out there about the features missing from this phone in one of these threads on this site. To some, these features are negligible and they couldn't care for them. For others like myself, the lack of those features shied me away from buying a more expensive phone for solely more hardware. Keep in mind, compared to he 950XL, the camera on the x3 is abysmal. Perhaps it's not noticeable in greatly/well lit conditions, but as soon as it hits evening time, the difference in quality Is quite telling. Also, the double tap to wake on this phone is the most inconsistent "feature". It's borderline broken. Another issue that may be a deal breaker, Tap to pay is NOT available on this phone.

I'll list the only advantages the X3 has over the 950XL:

*Apparently doesn't get as hot as the Lumia 950xl because of the processor used. However, people also fail to realize that there is a software/firmware issue at play here. There have been threads popping up about "super hot" X3's with massive battery drain (issues that also exist on the Lumia 950xl)

*Much better battery life, by a significant margin.

*Fingerprint scanner

*People claim the IRIS scanner is quicker on the X3, however from my own experience, the time difference between the two is minimal, if at all. You be the judge.

*The X3 is *seemingly* faster than the Lumia 950xl under use, however it has a slightly smoother Continuum experience.

*Exterior Speakers - I don't care about this. However the speakers on the X3 are far better.

The X3 is a "business/enterprise oriented" device, which in itself is used as an excuse by many HP fans, however the argument doesn't exactly hold up, when looking a little deeper as to what exactly "enterprise oriented device" really means. Missing features are missing features, consumer, prosumer, or enterprise.

Do plenty of your own research before pulling the trigger. Anyone (including HP) who tells you this phone is "feature packed" aren't exactly being honest when compared to what the Lumia line offered.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
For some I know this is an important feature and one that needs to be mentioned. Lumia phones are history, no hardware support beyond current inventory. HP has full support for its product.

If a 950/950XL breaks, what recourse do you have at your disposal?

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Definitely go with the HP. I'm testing the Alcatel Idol 4s with Windows and it's amazing how fast it is compared to my lumia 950. The boot time is quick. The newer processor and other chips probably make a big difference. The battery is also great and I can only imagine that the elite x3 is even better.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
For some I know this is an important feature and one that needs to be mentioned. Lumia phones are history, no hardware support beyond current inventory. HP has full support for its product.

If a 950/950XL breaks, what recourse do you have at your disposal?

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

Great point! I would say that this is one of the most important points if not the most.

This concept is a reason why people choose iPhones. Not the single one but valid enough.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Great point! I would say that this is one of the most important points if not the most.

This concept is a reason why people choose iPhones. Not the single one but valid enough.

True, lets not forget that Microsoft has now out sourced the lumia support while another user posted on these forums praising HP's support.

DominicanNY

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
I would choose the HP Elite x3 because is faster phone , with better specification ,quality and design,but the only downside is the camera, however if you have to pay i will take the lumia 950 because is cheaper and it has a better camera than the x3.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
for me a tossup, neither has everything, but Camera is important

HP Elite X3
  • bigger screen
  • newer, faster processor
  • better HP support
  • great looking device
  • fingerprint scanner
Lumia 950XL
  • much better camera / processing
  • DTTW & Glance
  • Tap to Pay
  • Removable battery

I bought the BOGO (950XL, 950). but hesitated when the Elite X3 went down to $599.
Cost being equal, I'd rather the Elite X3, assuming HP will improve the camera / processing w future updates.
I'm a couple of days into my Lumia 950XL (waited for case, etc.) & I came from the Lumia 1520.
IF I could have reliably gotten the 1520 battery replaced ...
I'd still be using that, luv'd that phone.
Then I'd get the Surface Phone, when / if it ever surfaces

jazen

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
I would go 950XL begrudgingly as it fits my use case scenario more. Its the smaller of the two choices and has the better camera. Also, I like the fact the battery can be removed and glance.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I concur with the X3 crowd. I replaced a perfectly good 950xl with the X3. The unit I received had some issues so I returned it after a week and went back to the 950xl.

The 950xl is smallish and has the stupidest power button placement of any phone I've used. The only two things better were the camera and the glance screen.

The X3 is the perfect size for one handed use. (I'm walking my dog as I write this and am holding the x3 with my left.)

The speakers in the x3 are superior to the 950xl and are almost as good as the HTC M8.

The speed and response is phenomenal. The 950xl feels slow by comparison, as do both my S6 and Iphone 6.

Desk dock. Love it. I no longer need my laptop when going to a remote office. Just hook the desk dock to a monitor and keyboard /mouse and I'm on the network.

The only thing I still use my 950xl for is action shots of my son's high school basketball games.

Sent from mTalk

jazen

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
The X3 is the perfect size for one handed use. (I'm walking my dog as I write this and am holding the x3 with my left.)

PerfectReign, what big hands you have!

All the better to use the X3 with, my child :wink:

Since I have rather petite hands, I even struggle to use a Lumia 640 one handed.

Bjfcm

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
for me a tossup, neither has everything, but Camera is important

HP Elite X3
  • bigger screen
  • newer, faster processor
  • better HP support
  • great looking device
  • fingerprint scanner
Lumia 950XL
  • much better camera / processing
  • DTTW & Glance
  • Tap to Pay
  • Removable battery

I bought the BOGO (950XL, 950). but hesitated when the Elite X3 went down to $599.
Cost being equal, I'd rather the Elite X3, assuming HP will improve the camera / processing w future updates.
I'm a couple of days into my Lumia 950XL (waited for case, etc.) & I came from the Lumia 1520.
IF I could have reliably gotten the 1520 battery replaced ...
I'd still be using that, luv'd that phone.
Then I'd get the Surface Phone, when / if it ever surfaces

I jumped at the $599.....Coming from Both 950 - 950XL . I loved the 1520 and I can tell you now .. The Elite X3 is the closeses Successor... I LOVE THE HP ELITE X3 and do not miss Glance, Tap or Removable Battery. Battery life and Screen is superior and Worth it. I haven't even used the Dock yet.

cocopops

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Personally, for me the ability to customise the phone is a big plus on the 950xl.

I have always loved the colourful options the Lumia range was optioned with, and the Mozo replacements (I have 3) make them feel like a better reflection of my identity.

The X3 to me just looks like another phone.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Personally, for me the ability to customise the phone is a big plus on the 950xl.

I have always loved the colourful options the Lumia range was optioned with, and the Mozo replacements (I have 3) make them feel like a better reflection of my identity.

The X3 to me just looks like another phone.

The X3 (in my opinion) is a great looking device, no need for the add on customization ...
Though that being said, I've found the need to put a case on phones for minimal protection and grip ...
damn things are too thin

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I jumped at the $599.....Coming from Both 950 - 950XL . I loved the 1520 and I can tell you now .. The Elite X3 is the closeses Successor... I LOVE THE HP ELITE X3 and do not miss Glance, Tap or Removable Battery. Battery life and Screen is superior and Worth it. I haven't even used the Dock yet.

I wish I would of jumped on that as well. Either that or the 999 bundle with lapdock that MS had. It seems both deals are gone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12