Visit site

hi
until now it is not clear for me
can x3 elite run x86 programs later ?
or we need to upgrade to new phone !
i didn't even open the box
i just received it
if not i will sell my phone now

At this point it is a wait and see thing. It is probably capable. I was watching the Full demo by Terry Myerson last night, and afterwards one of the VPs from Qualcomm came out carrying the X3 in hand. Later noted that the demo Myerson gave was on the same chipset as the HP unmodified. Not sure what that means for the X3, and that is all we really have. There are others around the forum that have more insight on this though. So, it is up to you.

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
If the Elite is compatible, I'm pretty certain HP would enable the feature.

HP will lose their entire mobile market share if they refused to enable it and that's not mentioning a blow to their reputation since this Elite was advertised as a mobile workstation and x86 apps on ARM is very much the definition of that.

What would be more important I guess is whether HP will try to exploit this feature to sell a new phone rather than update the elite which, for me, will be an instant loss of a customer for life across all their products. If they genuinely can't then no problem/

MS has a really bad reputation of standing behind their "mobile" products (windows RT devices dropped, not bringing win 10 to RT when they said they would) so my tolerance is very little for this sort of BS.

djncanada1

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Have heard you need Snapdragon 835 which is next year's chip to run emulation layer, Elite X3 has Snapdragon 820.

Unless HP/Microsoft plan to have field upgradable processors, I am guessing Elite X3 will not run X86 apps

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I think for now the X3 will mostly run any x86 from it's Web Portal service. So you can in Contiuum run Chrome and any other offerings that way.

It may yet come to pass that an update to Windows 10 Mobile will allow this, as the X3 has the chip that ran the demo.

I can't see Microsoft slapping HP in the face at this point, after HP has placed faith in Microsoft and it's direction.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think for now the X3 will mostly run any x86 from it's Web Portal service. So you can in Contiuum run Chrome and any other offerings that way.

It may yet come to pass that an update to Windows 10 Mobile will allow this, as the X3 has the chip that ran the demo.

I can't see Microsoft slapping HP in the face at this point, after HP has placed faith in Microsoft and it's direction.

the web portal service - HP Workspace - needs a lot of backend support, stuff that the normal joe won't have.

Do not be optimistic here given Microsoft's past, I will not assume any big new features for phones that are already released.

The X3 may have the same chip as that on the demo but also remember that Continuum was demoed on the Lumia 930 and 1520 in the past. (Someone also hacked Continuum to work on the 830 but performance wasn't terrific.) The Windows Phone community put faith in MS and look what happened.

MS not supporting x86 on existing phones won't be much of a slap since its just business-as-usual for them and that I imagine HP didn't necessarily know/think that x86 was going to come.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
the web portal service - HP Workspace - needs a lot of backend support, stuff that the normal joe won't have.

Do not be optimistic here given Microsoft's past, I will not assume any big new features for phones that are already released.

The X3 may have the same chip as that on the demo but also remember that Continuum was demoed on the Lumia 930 and 1520 in the past. (Someone also hacked Continuum to work on the 830 but performance wasn't terrific.) The Windows Phone community put faith in MS and look what happened.

MS not supporting x86 on existing phones won't be much of a slap since its just business-as-usual for them and that I imagine HP didn't necessarily know/think that x86 was going to come.
For some reason I still think Microsoft is going to play a primary hardware role in this and not just software side. But not like you'd expect. Maybe something along with Qualcomm in the ways of, if you want W10 on ARM then it has to be built this way. Not just providing the OS backend to do it.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
If the x3 for some reason got the option to add the W10 on ARM support, it would sell like hot cakes I bet. I think that's unlikely though.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Why did you buy the phone based on the fact that it will run x86 apps and then asking this on the forums to decide whether you will return it or not? Did HP advertise this feature ever? No.

Decide based on the assumption that it will not run x86 apps. Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 ARM with x86 emulation are different OSes, I doubt there will ever be an upgrade path between the two.

If it does come later, consider it a bonus.

Naif abdullah

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Why did you buy the phone based on the fact that it will run x86 apps and then asking this on the forums to decide whether you will return it or not? Did HP advertise this feature ever? No.

Decide based on the assumption that it will not run x86 apps. Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 ARM with x86 emulation are different OSes, I doubt there will ever be an upgrade path between the two.

If it does come later, consider it a bonus.

because i never knew that the windows phone will support x86 apps
when i received i saw that mobile phone will support x86 apps
i paid 999 $ for it
it is not cheap ,,,,so i will sell it ,,,and i will wait for the better one

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
i paid 999 $ for it

What you're saying makes zero sense.

1. You never knew the phone will support x86 apps - I follow you
2. when i received i saw that mobile phone will support x86 apps - Where did you see that?
3. i paid 999 $ for it - Ok, you got what you paid for
4. it is not cheap - It is not
5. and i will wait for the better one - Which better one?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
i paid 999 $ for it
Just return it, and get your full bank back. The Elite X3 does not currently run x86 apps natively even if through emulation. Are you wanting to use the virtual desktop/continuum feature HP offers? It does utilize the HP workspace though to run x86 apps if you pay HP to use it, and even then I am not sure how the licensing and requirements there are set up.

Srdjan Colakovic

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I think he might be trolling... or he doesn't make sense. The phone was never advertised to run x86 apps. Nor was it ever said that phones will support x86 apps, even with the MS announcement of Windows for ARM, it still has nothing to do with phones. or current chipsets for that matter.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think he might be trolling... or he doesn't make sense. The phone was never advertised to run x86 apps. Nor was it ever said that phones will support x86 apps, even with the MS announcement of Windows for ARM, it still has nothing to do with phones. or current chipsets for that matter.
to be fair it isn't too much of a jump to a conclusion that the x86 on ARM will be for phones. Although he probably made the mistake of thinking it'll be available really soon and jumping on too soon. Either way, back to the store the x3 should go!

jazen

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
5. and i will wait for the better one - Which better one?

The one with a Qualcomm SD835 and x86 support... duh... :wink:

*ba dum tiss*

But in all seriousness, I wouldn't hold my breath for the x3 to get x86 app support. It might, but as others have said, Microsoft does not have the best track record of retroactively supporting features.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I think the main reason the X3 will not get this is because you cannot "upgrade" from one OS "Windows 10 Mobile, 32-bit" to a different OS (Windows 10, ARM64).

Sure, you can flash a completely new image using the device recovery tool, but MS has never done that.

I think x86 emulation would be reserved for the mythical Surface phone with RS3.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
to be fair it isn't too much of a jump to a conclusion that the x86 on ARM will be for phones. Although he probably made the mistake of thinking it'll be available really soon and jumping on too soon. Either way, back to the store the x3 should go!

You're a funny kind of a Moderator, aren't you? You state that you assume that the x3 will never run x86 on ARM ever, but other than general reference to Microsoft's admittedly problematic history (at least wrt Mobile), you don't say what leads to that assumption. And then you further state that either way, the x3 should go back to the store? Because . . . . ? Even though I am pleased and working well with the x3? Do I have to send it back? Because of the uncertain future of x86 on ARM? Right now, exactly zero phones are known to have this future capacity. Do we all have to send our phones back to the store while we wait for word whether which, if any, phones will be included in this ARM initiative? It might also be that the x3 could run with this, but by the time that happens there will be a new HP x3 Elite that would run it better, or a Surface Phone or some other phone will run this. Its hard not to see x86 on ARM as outside of a movement for convergence of mobile and desktop, and HP is in the current forefront and partnered closely with Microsoft. How does that exclude HP from being included in the next phase in this movement?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte