HP Elite x3 - SD Card disconnecting?

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
SD Card disconnecting?

So, I have been using my Elite x3 for a couple weeks now and the phone has been great. However, over the last 4 days I have had this happen twice. I get an alert that my SD Card was disconnected improperly and nothing on my SD Card shows. Once I reboot everything works fine.
I am hoping this doesn't happen again but if it does I guess I will have to resort to HP support.

Bjfcm

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Your not alone.

This has happen to me about 4 times. I got mine when they had the $599. deal and I love the device . I opted out to get in on the Insider Program ( Glad I did because I want HP Firmware Updates )

I'm hoping HP will correct this soon.

wpuserto

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm also having this issue. I've gone through three devices due to other issues and I can say this problem has been consistent on all of them. :/

fgol

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm also having this issue. I've gone through three devices due to other issues and I can say this problem has been consistent on all of them. :/

Were the three devices all x3's or different phones? I had a 2+ year old Lumia 1520 that had this happen maybe every other week. I assumed it was a problem with the phone because it was old. I ended putting a small piece of sticky Post-It paper on the label side of the SD card and jamming the card into place. My thought was that perhaps the phone contacts were old and the paper would force the card to mate up tightly to the contacts. It actually worked.

Now with the X3 - with no insider builds at all, the card demount problem has been happening like several times a week. I wonder if the problem is Win 10 related.My analysis so far:
- I put a different card in and have the same problem.
- I am using SanDisk cards. In other forums people have suggested a better brand, like Samsung. I never had problems with SanDisk before, only with my phones.
- My daughter's 640 with Windows 10 has not had the problem and I do not know what brand card she has.
- Another suggestion I read about was to use to reformat the card in the phone (rather than via a PC).

Yesterday I backed up the data to my PC, reinserted the card in the phone, reformatted it, then reloaded the data. So far no problems (less than 24 hours though!) If that doesn't solve the problem I'll try a different brand of card.

Fingers crossed,
Frank

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I haven't had the issue for a few days. I am using a SanDisk card that worked with no issues with my Lumia 950xl. So I am hoping it was just a glitch and it won't happen again... Fingers crossed as well.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
One thing to try is to set up apps to be installed on the phone and not SD. After I changed that my x3 became rather stable and didn't have a problem once. Before that I had constant issues with the card disappearing and the phone freezing.

wpuserto

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Were the three devices all x3's or different phones? I had a 2+ year old Lumia 1520 that had this happen maybe every other week. I assumed it was a problem with the phone because it was old. I ended putting a small piece of sticky Post-It paper on the label side of the SD card and jamming the card into place. My thought was that perhaps the phone contacts were old and the paper would force the card to mate up tightly to the contacts. It actually worked.

Now with the X3 - with no insider builds at all, the card demount problem has been happening like several times a week. I wonder if the problem is Win 10 related.My analysis so far:
- I put a different card in and have the same problem.
- I am using SanDisk cards. In other forums people have suggested a better brand, like Samsung. I never had problems with SanDisk before, only with my phones.
- My daughter's 640 with Windows 10 has not had the problem and I do not know what brand card she has.
- Another suggestion I read about was to use to reformat the card in the phone (rather than via a PC).

Yesterday I backed up the data to my PC, reinserted the card in the phone, reformatted it, then reloaded the data. So far no problems (less than 24 hours though!) If that doesn't solve the problem I'll try a different brand of card.

Fingers crossed,
Frank

All the devices were X3s. I'm using a Samsung SD card.

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
One thing to try is to set up apps to be installed on the phone and not SD. After I changed that my x3 became rather stable and didn't have a problem once. Before that I had constant issues with the card disappearing and the phone freezing.

I don't have apps to install on my SD Card. I learned that about a year ago on my 950XL.

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm having some other issues now... So I may have to contact HP.
I'm having an issue I used to have in the early days of my 950XL where when leaving one wifi network and then autoconnecting to another it doesn't have internet. A restart fixes it. It was fixed in a firmware for the 950XL around Jan-Feb this year, so I'm not sure why the Elite X3 is having the issue now...

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Been happening to me over this last week... restart resolves issue. Today, the X3 began a bout of restarts. It went into a 5x restart loop and then worked fine. The phone has been great otherwise. Love the battery life. With the location on, I would drain the 950XL to 40% over an entire day without much use. The X3 is at about 90% in the same scenario. I agree with the above though, if MSFT doesn't start fixing the stupid little bugs in the OS, I don't see other "mainstream" manufacturers jumping on the Windows Mobile bandwagon.

I am hoping that these issues get resolved. I do not want to go back to ios and will NEVER go back to Android or Google anything.

Matty

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Re: SD Card disconnecting?

So, I have been using my Elite x3 for a couple weeks now and the phone has been great. However, over the last 4 days I have had this happen twice. I get an alert that my SD Card was disconnected improperly and nothing on my SD Card shows. Once I reboot everything works fine.
I am hoping this doesn't happen again but if it does I guess I will have to resort to HP support.

This sounds like a Software issue. The reason i say that is because after a restart, the memory card works fine. So thats actually a good thing because it means you can fix the issue yourself.

If the problem persists, i would recommend resting the phone to FACTORY default. (like it was brand new again). OR updating the OS to a newer version. If that doesn't fix the problem, then it may be hardware, which means setting the phone in to be repaired. Which isn't great. Hope the problem goes away though!

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I've been having other issues lately too. Like my WiFi stops working until a restart on a fairly constant basis now. My Bluetooth connection to my Vector Watch disconnects and Reconnects multiple times an hour and just yesterday I charged the phone to 100% and in less than an hour of little usage it dropped to 64%... So I'm going to play with a few things over the next couple days then probably open a case with HP.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: SD Card disconnecting?

I had a bad micro sd that I transferred from my 950xl to this phone (didn't realize it was bad - but that would account for the reboots) - so had EXACT same issues when I first bought the x3. Since the issues carried from my last phone to this one (replaced because of broken screen - not rebooting that had just started) - I reset my x3 without the sd card in it and reloaded my last backup pointing my apps to install internally. After all apps had installed, I installed my new SanDisk 256GB ultra and set photos, videos, and downloads to the sd. I have not had a single disconnect, app freeze, or reboot since doing so.

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
So, I got with HP Support. They are very quick to answer. I sent the following:

1. Freezing on Lockscreen (Requires Soft Reset)
2. WiFi Connectivity Issues (Requires Soft Reset)
3. Bluetooth Connectivity Issues (Requires Soft Reset)
4. SMS/MMS Stops working (Requires Soft Reset)
5. Notification that SD Card has been disconnected (Requires Soft Reset)
6. Occasionally battery life drains exceptionally quick (40-50% in less than an hour). This is not constantly occurring but has happened a couple times with minimal use of the device itself.
7. People seem to have a hard time hearing me when on the phone in most cases.

Besides the issues I have a couple questions as well.
1. With NFC being available on the device is there plans to implement Tap-To-Pay features?
2. Are future camera improvements planned?
3. Any information on usage of the Pogo pins?

So they said that some if not all of the issues I am having could possibly be contributed to the SIM Tray being defective. So they are overnighting me a new sim tray to see if that fixes anything.
On my questions they only answered the first one so far and said that it is up to Microsoft for their NFC to be enabled for use with Tap-To-Pay. But they seem to think since the hardware is there it will eventually have it enabled.
I have my support agent's direct phone number so we will stay in touch about this and other things I am sure.

fgol

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site

Fingers crossed,
Frank

After reformatting the card in the phone I still had the lost SD card problem several times a week. I finally took the card out, cut a piece of a Post-It to fit the top face of the card, stuck the Post-It onto the SD card, carefully slid the card tray back into the X3 and I haven't had the problem since (weeks). My thought was the single layer of Post-it paper would help press the card so that the contacts stay connected.

If ever I need to remove the card tray I will do it carefully so that the paper doesn't unstick and get lost in the phone!
Frank

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss