HP Elite x3 - SD Card disconnecting?

emmeborn

Elite x3 & Lumia 950XL Champion
May 27, 2013
Visit site
Turning NFC off at least reduces the times my SD card disconnecting. I also noticed that when I restart the phone NFC sometimes turns on again and I get the SD card disconnected message.

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
This is quite strange but I have not had an SD card disconnect in the past 48 hours since I turned off TTP and NFC.

I haven't had a disconnect since last Friday without changing anything... But as this has happened before I'm still waiting for it to happen again.
Sometimes it will happen multiple times a day, sometimes every day, sometimes every other and sometimes once a week. It varies, which is the weirdest part.

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: SD Card disconnecting?

I haven't yet, but I'm sticking to my 950 for now. This is all very frustrating... And a little concerning that HP is sending replacement trays. Feels like they haven't been able to pinpoint the root of the problem themselves.

emmeborn

Elite x3 & Lumia 950XL Champion
May 27, 2013
Visit site
I have had some disconnects since I turned off TTP and NFC but that has been after a restart of the phone. When I checked NFC was turned on again.

fgol

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site

I haven't yet, but I'm sticking to my 950 for now. This is all very frustrating... And a little concerning that HP is sending replacement trays. Feels like they haven't been able to pinpoint the root of the problem themselves.

I had the same problem with a Lumia 1520. At the time I assumed it was happening because the phone was getting old. Turns out it was happening with the x3 so I wonder if it's something in the OS. I turned off the NFC and TTP settings and still had the problem. I checked their settings after a restart and they were both off. :-(

Of course it doesn't rule out a bad contact problem in the old 1520 and in a problematic memory card tray in the x3. Maybe I should trawl through the forums of other phone models to see if there's an SD card thread.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I went 3 days without a disconnect and have had 4 today already. HP Support still claims its the tray and are sending yet another one. 4th time. The support guy says the ones they are sending me arent the new trays and he needs to get me the right one. So we are trying again. I honestly can't see how this is a tray issue.

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm putting the Elite X3 away for the weekend and using my "old" 950XL to see if I have any of the same issues I have been having with the Elite to see if maybe it is a firmware or OS issue or just the Elite X3. (This is not only for the SD Card Disconnect issue). I am also going to evaluate how much I miss the fingerprint scanner, larger screen and larger battery. And backwards going to see how much I appreciate the better camera, glance and true DDTW.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm putting the Elite X3 away for the weekend and using my "old" 950XL to see if I have any of the same issues I have been having with the Elite to see if maybe it is a firmware or OS issue or just the Elite X3. (This is not only for the SD Card Disconnect issue). I am also going to evaluate how much I miss the fingerprint scanner, larger screen and larger battery. And backwards going to see how much I appreciate the better camera, glance and true DDTW.

I'm in a similar boat. I have just updated my 950 XL and am going to see. The big plus for me on the X3 is the battery life. I actually can get a full day of heavy use on a single charge. On my 950 XL, I never got more than 4 hours of heavy use. I also miss Glance and TTP. The camera I've been ok with.

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site

I must say I REALLY miss the battery life now that I'm using my 950. SD card works just fine though, but it always did in my x3 as well until a firmware update. I still suspect the most recent update being the cultprit (in my case).

Personally I didn't really miss Glance. Or DDTW, since I could use the fingerprint scanner. It's quite the bother typing in my pin all the time on my 950 and the iris scanning is definitly slower compared to the x3.

Camera is great although its pretty hard for me to notice any real differences. The 950 seems little more saturated but I have to say its not exactly moving worlds. I'd say thats a compliment!

Only thing I'm definitly appreciating is the smaller footprint. 6" is just cumbersome compared to 5.2".

I'm just going out on a limb and give my 650 a try. The 950/950XL are notorious battery guzzling beasts and they run quite hot. I barely get through the day and thats even putting the screen on 25% - awful!

...I miss my x3. Come on HP.

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Been using the Lumia 950XL since Friday. Let me say... It's been quite pleasant surprisingly...
The Camera is phenomenal (rear that is, front without flash is terrible at night) I can't believe the difference from a 950XL to the Elite is that big I was totally giving the x3 more credit than it was due.
Battery life, well although the battery is smaller in the 950XL has hasn't been really killing me yet, we will see over the next couple days when I am actually working and not relaxing or going out.
I do miss the fingerprint scanner but with dttw and the iris scanner working pretty damn good it hasn't been too bad. The size isn't terrible but I do miss the phablet size of the x3.
Performance wise it may be slightly slower but not hugely noticeable.
I'm going to stick with the 950XL for a few more days and see if I get the itch to go back to the x3.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site

Got the new tray with "UP" written on it. It still didn't work perfect with the SanDisk 128gb. But when I used the Lexar 64gb, it is fine. Been using it for 3-4 days without any issues. I used the 128gb card since purchase of x3 last year, so the issue must be related to the recent FW.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I also got another new tray with the "UP" written on it. No change. I also installed the latest insider build. No change. This is so frustrating.

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I also got another new tray with the "UP" written on it. No change. I also installed the latest insider build. No change. This is so frustrating.

I've been happy using my 950XL for almost a week now. NONE of the issues I was having with the Elite X3. Only issue I have is battery related (I think my battery is on it's last leg) Sometimes when it gets below 45% the phone shuts off and I have to plug it in and charge. I think I might have some bad cells.

In the last week, not SD Card Disconnects, no WiFi or Bluetooth Disconnects, not text message network disconnects, nothing.
I am only missing the fingerprint reader (barely though with DDTW) and the larger screen. The battery (when it doesn't die) lasts quite awhile. I was charging the Elite X3 twice a day and I am doing the same with the 950XL. Luckily I have wireless chargers just about everywhere.
I also haven't noticed much of a decrease in speed.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site

Been almost a week without issues using the new tray on 64gb Lexar. It's a compromise for now. I leave everything else the same, BT, NFC are on.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I am only missing the fingerprint reader (barely though with DDTW) and the larger screen. The battery (when it doesn't die) lasts quite awhile. I was charging the Elite X3 twice a day and I am doing the same with the 950XL. Luckily I have wireless chargers just about everywhere.
I also haven't noticed much of a decrease in speed.

I am updating my 950 XL as I type this. I will miss the fingerprint reader and the battery life. I actually get a full day off a single charge! With my 950 XL I barely get 4 hours but I also have chargers everywhere including a beefy portable cell. On the 950 XL no SD disconnects or black lockups. Until they fix this problem, my X3 is going to standby status.

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I am updating my 950 XL as I type this. I will miss the fingerprint reader and the battery life. I actually get a full day off a single charge! With my 950 XL I barely get 4 hours but I also have chargers everywhere including a beefy portable cell. On the 950 XL no SD disconnects or black lockups. Until they fix this problem, my X3 is going to standby status.

I have been back and forth with HP for months. I told them the other day that I may be looking for a warranty refund because this is not how a product should operate.
The 950XL has none of these issues on the same OS build. So it is definitely a firmware or hardware problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss