Regretting the*Elite X3, should have stayed with 950XL

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE (12/21/2016): HP support is claiming there is a known issue with the SIM tray in some HP Elite X3 devices, just an FYI for anyone else*who's been having device reboots and SD issues.

UPDATE*(1/3/2017): The*replacement device has been working flawlessly for*more than a week. I finally put my SD card back in to test*for symptoms. I'm still on the production build, but will likely move back to insider when a new*Fast ring build*is released, barring any new issues.

Wow this has been an awful experience... I've given the device nearly 3 months, and despite multiple factory resets using WDRT, testing with both Insider Preview builds (Release Preview and Fast) as well as Production builds, this device continues to be*unstable.

As of yesterday, I was having no issues with the device after having completed a reset using WDRT 3 days ago. It is on production build, not using a microSD card, not using Skype Preview for SMS, etc. And now - after it began another round of freezing and rebooting, I received the error in the attached image. I can't even get it into recovery mode so WDRT can re-flash.

WP_20161221_15_15_13_Rich_LI.jpg

I'm opening a ticket with HP but if anyone has seen this and has any advice on how I can get this working I'd appreciate any input. At this point I'm just going to cut my losses and get it replaced so I can get rid of it.

Last edited:

Minh Junior Dinh

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
Hmm... that seems like a defect. I'm not an expert but I would contact the Microsoft Store if you bought it from them. You can get it refunded within 30 days if you're still in that time period. Best of luck, man.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Hmm... that seems like a defect. I'm not an expert but I would contact the Microsoft Store if you bought it from them. You can get it refunded within 30 days if you're still in that time period. Best of luck, man.
Yeah - so HP confirmed there was some kind of milling issue with the sim tray which is apparently causing a lot of reboot and SD card issues. They are sending out replacements.

For me though, something else must have happened because I couldn't even get the recovery mode to start, so are replacing it. For some reason they couldn't confirm whether the replacement device would have the fixed sim tray though, so I may till have to request the new tray if I have similar problems with the new device. I'll test it, but for now I'm back to the 950XL.

humzahyaz

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
My cousin got this phone and within 2 months has gone back on iPhone 7. The HP elite is with me every week to fix it. I would have suggested that you use WDRT to reboot your device but it seems you have tried everything.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Man, that sucks. But hey, the Lumia 950XL is still a good phone, right?
Sort of. I find the 950xl very weak compared. I keep it around for the camera when my son plays basketball.

That is terrible about the defects! I've been doing fine since my first device was replaced due to second sim tray issues but that was in November.

Sent from mTalk

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Sort of. I find the 950xl very weak compared. I keep it around for the camera when my son plays basketball.

That is terrible about the defects! I've been doing fine since my first device was replaced due to second sim tray issues but that was in November.

Sent from mTalk
I feel he same about the 950XL, I also keep it around solely for photos.

I did get the replacement Elite X3 in today, I've completed setup, and will leave it on the production build for a couple of weeks before I put any of the insider builds on it. Hopefully I don't see any issues but if it starts rebooting on me again I'm calling HP back immediately.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Interesting this thread is here... just today, my HP went into a restart cycle for about 5 or 6 restarts. It was pretty embarrassing as I wanted to demonstrate to my wife in the car the compatibility of Groove and Bluetooth... good thing she stopped caring about my phone obsessions and just shrugged it off. I've had 2 X3s now and this is the second one that has been on and off giving me issues with the SD card suddenly not being recognized at all. I wonder if the restart thing was due to the same thing resulting in the phone thinking that the sim card was being removed and re-inserted into the tray?

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I am coming from Lumia 1520. Had 950XL for a brief period before giving it to a relative. Recently bought HP elite x3 and it is so much better than 950XL. There were a few problems but all of them come down to a poor battery. The resolution on 950XL is high, but it takes a lot of processing power, and the battery just could not cope. First time I'm my life I learned what the battery anxiety was. It was difficult to go for the full day without re-charging. My Lumia 1520 could easily go for 2 days!

Another thing was that the screen size is smaller, but resolution is much higher, which made some fonts way too small. And changing font to anything but native would bring strange effects. One more problem with 950 was screen brightness outside. I guess the origin is the same - the battery. Elite x3 is very solid, battery is terrific, screen is great. There is no comparison. Some bloatware from HP, and some important stuff missing like Glance Screen, but this is OK.

The only real advantage of 950 is that you can use 2 SIMs and SD at the same time. And one other thing - I am missing the dedicated camera button.

I recommend buying HP case. Some people in MS Store reviews complained the buttons hard to press, but this is not true. It is a great case, maybe a bit overpriced. Still cannot find a glass screen protector that would have descent reviews.

Last edited:

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I have just purchased an X3 once again, after returning my first 1 when they were first released. I really like the look and feel of this phone and what it can do, Hopefully issues that I had with the first device have gone now with the newer firmware updates.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I have had ZERO issues with my Elite X3 since installing a new Sandisk 250GB Ultra. I had a lot of the same issues (reboots, freezes, etc) with it when I first bought it and found out my sd card from my 950xl was going bad. That said, I now install ALL of my apps locally. I actually reset the phone with no SD card at all, installed all of my apps, and THEN inserted the new sd card and made sure APPS were set to internal and photos, video, and downloads were set to sd card.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Easy, use the outlook app on iOS
Ahh, but that isn't secure enough for corporate work. We aren't allowed to use it because the mail is not stored in an encrypted format like on the Windows version of Outlook.

Can't even register the account for my company.

Sent from mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6