Wait..whaaattt...2016 Win10Mobile flagship and NO 4k recording???

GuarDeanne

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
I was soooo focused on trying to grasp scope and effects on daily usage that the bugs and software defects mentioned on this forum had on the prospect of using the x3 as a daily driver, that I have completely overseen the most obvious "flaw" right up from the spec sheet...:unhappysweat:
rear camera 16 megapixel shooter.. OK, nothing to cry about.. but THEN..FHD???
Really? I mean, OK.. yeah.. business users as prime focus of development of this phone, not creative professionals, etc.. hell, why even bother with FHD, just slap on 480p video then, save up some memory space for all the graphs and docs.. LOL
...any possibility of a 4k video recording being enabled via future updates on this device, or is this it?

GuarDeanne

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
sure.. I consider a 4K television a gimmick, too.. it does not mean it does not have something useful to offer to average Joe...

Matty

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I was soooo focused on trying to grasp scope and effects on daily usage that the bugs and software defects mentioned on this forum had on the prospect of using the x3 as a daily driver, that I have completely overseen the most obvious "flaw" right up from the spec sheet...:unhappysweat:
rear camera 16 megapixel shooter.. OK, nothing to cry about.. but THEN..FHD???
Really? I mean, OK.. yeah.. business users as prime focus of development of this phone, not creative professionals, etc.. hell, why even bother with FHD, just slap on 480p video then, save up some memory space for all the graphs and docs.. LOL
...any possibility of a 4k video recording being enabled via future updates on this device, or is this it?

At the moment (in my opinion) 4K recoding on a smartphone is a 'gimmick'. I don't mean its not useful, i mean that the storage size you need is quite large and with most devices only having 28 GB (after OS) minus Apps you have loaded and you could end up with less than 25GB of actual recording space. Additionally, our smartphone screens do not have 4K resolutions, so we cant actually watch the videos at their full resolution and beauty. Don't get me wrong 4K is nice, but its more of a status symbol than a functional feature.

I always stick to 1080p at 30fps and sometimes even 24fps when recoding long videos.

Corwin_Amber

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I am on the current fast ring build and fully updated, I am having 4k video recording on my x3. Does not mean you should have fast ring builds, I just want to say that it should be there with the RS2 update in some months. RS2 builds should become even more stable soon, for me, 14977 is fine.

So, if you REALLY want to have it, you can have it right now. If you can wait, it will be in the stable branch in some months 👍

GuarDeanne

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
That is absolutely fine then.. it was similar thing with Lumia 1520 which had FHD, but got 4K later on...
in MY opinion, yeah, who REALLYYYYY needs 4K, but then who will die if they get only 720p, not 1080p recording video of something? depends on what you are viewing your videos.. I don't think it is a matter of status anymore, as 4K TV are practically dirt cheap... if I am on a holiday and record a nice landscape, or view of the place/town/city, of course 4K will allow me to capture more detail to then show to my family or who ever.. I won't die without it..No... but I would not die without taking daily showers, either, and yet we all aim to do it, as it is important to us.. :)
I am glad to see x3 on the right track, and hope it will only get better.. probably going to buy it next month and hope I won't get disappointed.. not too crazy to risk bricking it with some fast ring build, probably release preview will do.. :D

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
4k is "mostly" a gimmick, but is actually useful extracting high res photos from the video later on. Just compare a photo extracted from a FHD video and a 4K video.

Also, if you have a large 4K TV, you can see the quality difference between FHD and 4k.

I realize many people won't have a huge 4K TV, but for someone like me, with a growing kid, I prefer to record videos at the highest res possible, I won't regret it years later.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
That is absolutely fine then.. it was similar thing with Lumia 1520 which had FHD, but got 4K later on...
in MY opinion, yeah, who REALLYYYYY needs 4K, but then who will die if they get only 720p, not 1080p recording video of something? depends on what you are viewing your videos.. I don't think it is a matter of status anymore, as 4K TV are practically dirt cheap... if I am on a holiday and record a nice landscape, or view of the place/town/city, of course 4K will allow me to capture more detail to then show to my family or who ever.. I won't die without it..No... but I would not die without taking daily showers, either, and yet we all aim to do it, as it is important to us.. :)
I am glad to see x3 on the right track, and hope it will only get better.. probably going to buy it next month and hope I won't get disappointed.. not too crazy to risk bricking it with some fast ring build, probably release preview will do.. :D

how cheap is dirt cheap for that 4k TV?

Matty

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
how cheap is dirt cheap for that 4k TV?

Most of the 4K TVs locally for me cost around $1000+ USD. But you normally get 65+ inches with a curved screen and it has to be smart with sometimes 3-D thrown in. Here is how i see the price break down. when looking at 4K TVs

$399 - Dirt Cheap
$499 - Cheap
$599 - Sale Price
$699 - Good Deal
$799 - Average Price
$899 - Getting expensive
$999+ - Expensive

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
4K is just a trend, and I don't care to follow.
1080 is more then I need, I am glad that 4K hit the market cause 1080 gear came down in price as it's not the hot new thing. 720 devices are rock bottom now also.
Also as my eyes are older I just don't see a quality bump from 720 to 1080.... like youtube video I drop out of 720 to 480 as it looks just as clear to me.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I think the OP's post was not about asking everyone's personal need for 4k, but about how it is surprising that a flagship expensive device doesn't support it, seeing as how most mid-end phones now do.

But glad that it is coming with RS2

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
4K is just a trend, and I don't care to follow.
1080 is more then I need, I am glad that 4K hit the market cause 1080 gear came down in price as it's not the hot new thing. 720 devices are rock bottom now also.
Also as my eyes are older I just don't see a quality bump from 720 to 1080.... like youtube video I drop out of 720 to 480 as it looks just as clear to me.

To each their own. I did the 4K thing and when your watching a true 4K video it's mind-blowingly impressive. The depth and colors are so wild.

It is a noticeable upgrade from 1080p..

but, from a phone trying to get a high bitrate video, meh, they look pretty but not professional by any means.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why anyone thinks 4K is a gimmick. 4K is likely to become the next standard after 1080p and every year we move closer to it. 4K monitors and TVs have already hit the 300-400 dollar price point. Microsoft and Sony just released 4K capable video game systems. And Netflix, along with other streaming services, are offering more and more 4K content. Nothing about that says gimmick. It's just where the industry is headed. That's fine if you're not ready to make that leap. In fact, I haven't either. But other people are. 4K is something people can take advantage of right now. My 2013 Lumia 1520 can shoot in 4K and I would rather future proof my content by shooting in 4K than downgrading to 1080p. I think it's a legitimate question to ask why a 2016 device, with the hardware to support 4K, and a $800 price tag, doesn't actually support 4K.

That said, the most likely reason why the X3 doesn't support 4K is because HP designed the phone for business users where the need to shoot in 4K isn't there and HP figured they could save on engineering cost by not optimizing the camera for 4K.

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
I think it's possible to add the 4K feature using a software upgrade, but some problem might appear, like needing a lot more of processing power to handle it, also if the BUS/Communication between the camera and the memory isn't fast enough it will be hard to keep up, it means, maybe will be able something weird like 4K @ 10fps or something like that.

BTW the old good Nokia N900 was able to be upgraded back in it time from 480p@25fps to 1080p@15fps with some hacks, but in this case I think HP and Microsoft should be the people to make the improvement to the software.

Minh Junior Dinh

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
Guess we'll just have to wait and see, won't we? For the updates, of course.

GuarDeanne

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
lol... people get carried away with secondary topics.. but it is ok.. I appreciate to see other people's view on things..

as for what I consider dirt cheap.. well, probably anything in the range from 1 to 5 dollars US/cca 3 UK pounds.. but in the context of a 4K display, one that can be used instead of a PC monitor, should one require it (that whole argument "you don't see difference between FHD and 4k when you are sitting on your sofa and watching your average sized TV" falls completely in that scenario, as the user is in a reaching distance and close enough to see and appreciate the difference in pixel number (whether extracting a minute detail from a video, or photoshopping the crap out of a pimple on your daughter's face, etc.)), I would say anything between 500 and 800 US dollars is dirt cheap, considering what you can get for it.. of course all depends what you are expecting to get from it.. and if you are also using it for a professional purpose, or not..

As fro people saying 4K is not important cause they themselves have bad eyesight... not really sure that is a good argument.. maybe an explanation why they don't care.. but, it would be like saying "oh, x3 don't need an equalizer at all, cause I don't even listen to music on my phone/or music at all".. not really my turn to even comment on the issue then, I believe..

Last edited:

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
That is your answer then; yes, they can add it in, but will they?

4k is "mostly" a gimmick, but is actually useful extracting high res photos from the video later on. Just compare a photo extracted from a FHD video and a 4K video.
I have a two year old son, and I would drive myself mad trying to get the moment when he is actually smiling *and* looking at the camera. Extracting shots from short videos is what I usually do these days to get a good shot. Don't do any long video, but I never did with FHD either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo