Frustrating.

loudog3114

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
I can't help but feel a little screwed over by HP and MS by buying this phone. After I dropped $850 on it, which is a lot of dough... (And some people dropped $12-1300) Microsoft goes and announces Win 10 on Arm, which I guarantee we will not get to enjoy with this phone. So now, people have spent +-$1000 bucks on a phone that is IMMEDIATELY antiquated, with dead forums, and seemingly all but forgotten about by MS and HP (no updates since November). So now my elite x3 is sitting on my wireless charger in the basement, four months old, with no sim in it and not much hope of being of any use to me any time in the near feature. The fact they they waited to announce win 10 on Arm until a little while after the x3 was released seems a borderline unethical move to me. Especially after charging a higher than premium price for the phone. Now I know what HP WebOS users felt like. Sigh.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It's the first and only ip68 (oops) certified Windows Phone I've ever seen. (Corrected: IP67) It had other environmental guards too. I honestly bought this phone knowing well thatbit was not a consumer device and not to expect any cool interesting useful features for me personally. I'll bet you see state agencies and other institutions using this phone more and I for the sake of hp hope for that. This goes to show you how many of us are just dying for a decent variety of devices to use our new windows 10 Mobile OS on. They're barely creeping out of the basement :), and when we see the x3 on scene were curious...and months go by and it's the only one still available we try it out...then we're still waiting for something slightly better or different.

Last edited:

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I bought it for the 6" screen (I have big hands and my 950xl seemed small), potential lap dock (which I won't buy), front speakers, and desk dock. I use the desk dock every day at work with a 27" monitor.

The camera is marginal, as my wife's 640 does a better job. But I just keep the 950xl around for when I need it.

Sent from mTalk

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I can't help but feel a little screwed over by HP and MS by buying this phone. After I dropped $850 on it, which is a lot of dough... (And some people dropped $12-1300) Microsoft goes and announces Win 10 on Arm, which I guarantee we will not get to enjoy with this phone. So now, people have spent +-$1000 bucks on a phone that is IMMEDIATELY antiquated, with dead forums, and seemingly all but forgotten about by MS and HP (no updates since November). So now my elite x3 is sitting on my wireless charger in the basement, four months old, with no sim in it and not much hope of being of any use to me any time in the near feature. The fact they they waited to announce win 10 on Arm until a little while after the x3 was released seems a borderline unethical move to me. Especially after charging a higher than premium price for the phone. Now I know what HP WebOS users felt like. Sigh.

I don't think you need to worry about this too much. Yes, they announced Win 10 on ARM, but they haven't mentioned phones yet or anything else running Win 10 on ARM, they only announced that it is possible. It's probably going to be another year, maybe two untill we get to see this working well on a "phone", since they are going for cheaper laptops/tablets first. I'm enjoying the phone atm, so should you. Why leave it in the basement without a sim? Seems like a waste of money?

To put it into perspective, my dad has an Android phone that still runs on 5.1 and he blew ~€600,- on it back then. Not a single update thus far but the phone still works while android is sitting at 7.1.1 atm. That was one year ago... W10M still gets updates. Do you honestly expect they're going to just drop W10M while their oem partner released a business orientated 3-in-1 device for a premium price? Thats suicide.

So, to call the x3 antiquated seems a little harsh... I get where your frustration comes from because I too would like to run full windows 10 on my x3.

But as a consumer that hasn't even used Continuum, do we really need it? What are the benefits for us? I can see it being great for business users, but the average consumer doesn't even know what Continuum is or rather packs another laptop with them.

zmancb7

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
To put it into perspective, my dad has an Android phone that still runs on 5.1 and he blew ~€600,- on it back then. Not a single update thus far but the phone still works while android is sitting at 7.1.1 atm. That was one year ago... W10M still gets updates. Do you honestly expect they're going to just drop W10M while their oem partner released a business orientated 3-in-1 device for a premium price? Thats suicide.

So, to call the x3 antiquated seems a little harsh... I get where your frustration comes from because I too would like to run full windows 10 on my x3.

But as a consumer that hasn't even used Continuum, do we really need it? What are the benefits for us? I can see it being great for business users, but the average consumer doesn't even know what Continuum is or rather packs another laptop with them.

I agree with you in a sense that I really hope it doesn't become antiquated too early on its life-cycle.

About Continuum, I use it as a mix of personal/work use. People I've shown it to think it's really neat and some of the more technically advanced people I work with wish they had a similar solution.

I really don't NEED to use it for work or personal use, but I find it's size is much better than what I already have. I personal laptop is almost 3 years old, got it from college. Lenovo ThinkPad. It's a great little beast and pretty light. My work laptop is a monster Dell 7510 CAD machine and is really heavy.

Whenever I travel, I can take the x3/ lapdock and not worry about missing out on anything. Spend a weekend at home, I bring the x3. Go to a conference or training for a few days, can bring the x3 and not be weighed down by my other 2 laptops. Plus having the slim lapdock for meetings is great, makes taking notes a lot easier and can email them out easy.

So my lapdock doesn't exactly replace my other 2 laptops, but it certainly helps when traveling which is the main reason I got it since most of what I do is browser based and Edge has been doing great so far.

So to answer your question, no, I don't think consumers NEED it. Much like we don't need a lot of other crap we get with "smart" products. But there are benefits to using it, especially with the lapdock IMO. I've actually yet to try the desk dock but I assume it's great for those people on the move and don't require a lot of software or need to access their company's network drives.

loudog3114

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
I put it in the basement with no sim because, have no doubt, win 10 devices without ARM are going to be forgotten about and abandoned. Win10 on ARM is going to be the solution to closing the app gap, but my brand new, $850 flagship HP Elite X3 will not get such features. And on top of that, HP refuses to listen to customers and put in glance screen... which in my book was the only compelling reason to buy a windows 10 phone. I know its a lumia feature and blah blah, but the x3 has an amoled screen, and there is absolutely no reason they couldn't implement it. They claim its for security, but as the IT manager of a financial institution, I see absolutely no argument for that being a security flaw or issue.

The lapdock is... useless. For $600 you could easily buy a full windows 10 laptop and enable notification sync and SMS through skype, and you've got a far better solution.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I put it in the basement with no sim because, have no doubt, win 10 devices without ARM are going to be forgotten about and abandoned. Win10 on ARM is going to be the solution to closing the app gap, but my brand new, $850 flagship HP Elite X3 will not get such features. And on top of that, HP refuses to listen to customers and put in glance screen... which in my book was the only compelling reason to buy a windows 10 phone. I know its a lumia feature and blah blah, but the x3 has an amoled screen, and there is absolutely no reason they couldn't implement it. They claim its for security, but as the IT manager of a financial institution, I see absolutely no argument for that being a security flaw or issue.

The lapdock is... useless. For $600 you could easily buy a full windows 10 laptop and enable notification sync and SMS through skype, and you've got a far better solution.
Glance is licensed by MS/Nokia so they can't use it.*There were rumors that they are working on something similar with MS though, but it could take some time before the feature is released if it is going to*be released at all.

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
...They claim its for security, but as the IT manager of a financial institution, I see absolutely no argument for that being a security flaw or issue.

It certainly could be though in different sectors. I'm auditor in healthcare for information security and I've seen several phones (windows, android, iphone) with a "glance screen" where I can just read notifications from mails or chats from the phone's lockscreen without even unlocking the thing. Thats pretty bad if you'd ask me. So HP has a point in a way, but I definitly don't agree about the zero-tolerance thing. It should always be an option. Thats what IT is for after all, to decide whether it is safe or not.

Continuum in its current state isn't great, I give you that. But getting another device to take care of costs extra money (hardware, software licenses) and poses a security risk. At least, here in the Netherlands they are hellbend on preventing dataleaks. If somebody steals your lapdock you're probably thinking "lol, git gud" but if somebody steals a laptop... welp, thats a) a lot of money gone and b) might contain sensitive data. Human stupidity is infinite after all, even with all security measurements in place.

But on another note, might it be better to just sell the thing instead? Still seems like a waste leaving it in your basement if you're not going to use it. I'm sure you can get a few bucks for it and make somebody really happy with it? :smile:

loudog3114

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
To omit the feature altogether is ridiculous. It can be controlled with MDM. The security claim is just a cop out. And we literally just had the choice of going with dumb laptop clients or full featured ones for the same price. We went full featured. Since we use VDI no data will be on them, and our users can still enjoy them when offline. Being a bank... There aren't a whole lot of sectors that require more security.

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
I put it in the basement with no sim because, have no doubt, win 10 devices without ARM are going to be forgotten about and abandoned. Win10 on ARM is going to be the solution to closing the app gap, but my brand new, $850 flagship HP Elite X3 will not get such features.

If I told you that the first *phone* with Windows 10 on ARM would be released in October 2018, would you feel the same way about the X3 now? How about if it came out in April 2018? ANY phone will be outmoded eventually, it's just a question of when. I'm pretty confident that you will get 18 months plus of your phone being "current" before something comes along that supersedes it. Were you expecting more?

If you buy a phone because it's "the best", you will be buying phones at huge prices at six month intervals forever. If you bought the X3 because it met your needs when you bought it, it should still be doing so. If it doesn't meet your needs, the fault lies as much in your research as in the phone.

loudog3114

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
If I told you that the first *phone* with Windows 10 on ARM would be released in October 2018, would you feel the same way about the X3 now? How about if it came out in April 2018? ANY phone will be outmoded eventually, it's just a question of when. I'm pretty confident that you will get 18 months plus of your phone being "current" before something comes along that supersedes it. Were you expecting more?

If you buy a phone because it's "the best", you will be buying phones at huge prices at six month intervals forever. If you bought the X3 because it met your needs when you bought it, it should still be doing so. If it doesn't meet your needs, the fault lies as much in your research as in the phone.
The problem is it isn't the best. It isn't even close. Microsoft has decided to move on from the current hardware and implement the features it needs to compete in new hardware instead of giving the features to the current breed of hardware. So, like I said, the x3 is more or less abandoned and antiquated. I say antiquated because... It always was, but the hope was that MS had something useful coming to bring it up to speed. But, now we know, there is no such update coming.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The problem is it isn't the best. It isn't even close. Microsoft has decided to move on from the current hardware and implement the features it needs to compete in new hardware instead of giving the features to the current breed of hardware. So, like I said, the x3 is more or less abandoned and antiquated. I say antiquated because... It always was, but the hope was that MS had something useful coming to bring it up to speed. But, now we know, there is no such update coming.
I'm a little confused. What exactly does the phone NOT do today that it did the day you bought it? There are no new features today that weren't around at the time of the Anniversary Update. Microsoft made it clear there would be little to no new updates before the Creators Update other than an odd patch here and there. The x3 is not the only model that's been silent since November. My Idol 4S is still on 14393.576 since around Thanksgiving. How exactly is it antiquated if it has the newest build available to the public? Windows on ARM may or may not even come to phones until well into 2018.

loudog3114

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
It does very little now and it did very little when I bought it. I guess my hope was that something big would come relatively soon to THIS device, but that won't be happening. Nothing will come to this device. It was worth the purchase with the future unknown, but now that's it's known, and grim, it's no longer worth using.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm a little confused. What exactly does the phone NOT do today that it did the day you bought it?
I believe what the OP is trying to say is, that the X3 was implied to be the state-of-the-art WM Phone, giving the "elusion" that it was "somewhat" future proof, and the OP is now finding that it no more future proof than ours are:(

The 950, and 950XL, will also suffer the same fate, (as well as any other current phone) BTW...if/when ARM is introduced.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I believe what the OP is trying to say is, that the X3 was implied to be the state-of-the-art WM Phone, giving the "elusion" that it was "somewhat" future proof, and the OP is now finding that it no more future proof than ours are:(

The 950, and 950XL, will also suffer the same fate, (as well as any other current phone) BTW...if/when ARM is introduced.
No, he stated the phone does little now and did little when he bought it. He conjured an image of a promise that only he thought would be fulfilled. I'm sorry if it sounds rough but anyone who buys something based on what could be deserves everything they get. I've never seen any tech company talking about future developments claiming they'll work with present hardware. Windows on ARM is no exception.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I think it's easy to get caught up in this unless you look at things realistically. You should never purchase a piece of technology unless it meets your current needs. Don't expect it to be more than that. Technology changes too quickly.
Enjoy your x3 for what it is, an excellent device.

Sent from mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05