Frustrating.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think it's easy to get caught up in this unless you look at things realistically. You should never purchase a piece of technology unless it meets your current needs. Don't expect it to be more than that. Technology changes too quickly.
Enjoy your x3 for what it is, an excellent device.

Sent from mTalk
The only exception to this would be for those who purchased the HP Touchpad or Veer within the first 49 days of their existence. Those who bought during the firesale (Me, myself and I) knew the risks.

EuroKnuter

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The only exception to this would be for those who purchased the HP Touchpad or Veer within the first 49 days of their existence. Those who bought during the firesale (Me, myself and I) knew the risks.

I agree that it is harder on those that spent more money. But, as is the case with most things and as everyone pretty much knows: You buy now to have it now, you wait for later to save some money. Both options were available and should be well known to OP (especially for a self-proclaimed IT Manager for a FINANCIAL organization, one would think they are near expert level on both Tech and Money Management!).

Personally, I recently took both paths with different devices: Bought now and also waited for a sale. I bought the Surface Book with Performance Base as soon as I could, trading a few hundred dollars for 3-6 weeks of usage (and I needed it ASAP as a replacement). I did NOT complain when there was a sale over black Friday / into the holidays for the Surface Book. That was almost a foregone conclusion. On the other hand, I bought the HP during a sale to replace a perfectly good L950, and I am very happy with both decisions.

As for the Elite x3, I would say that for the right person I have no problem recommending the phone and would even explain a realistic set of use cases for continuum and/or other hardware to augment the phone. But then speed and performance, memory, and current Win10 Mobile features were what I was looking for in my phone. I can't imagine having bought the SB and saying "well hey, this should TOTALLY have a glance screen soon!" *roll eyes*

So far the discussion about x86 running on ARM (but just not my existing ARM-based chip in my phone), misses a fundamental point: The thought of x86 running on a phone is WAAAAAAAY over romanticized by OP. The phone purchased was for a dream, and based on his description, the dream of running x86 apps on his PHONE to close the app gap will likely never even come close to being realized. In fact, you would have a use case very close to that of continuum (IMHO) which trades extreme portability for performance and/or features. You will likely need to be hooked up to a screen to get any benefit from running x86 apps, and that is just un-phone-like. Best case is a wireless DP/HDMI accessory that can broadcast to a monitor, but you still lack a keyboard and mouse. The hardware needed in addition to a phone grows rapidly as you use more and more of the x86 apps. In short: If continuum isn't for you, x86 on a phone is likely not for you as well.

I would be interested to hear back in 18 to 24 months if OP is able to buy a phone running x86 apps and they are not extremely disappointed and still blame the hardware / software for what amounts to poor foresight and imagination.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree that it is harder on those that spent more money. But, as is the case with most things and as everyone pretty much knows: You buy now to have it now, you wait for later to save some money. Both options were available and should be well known to OP (especially for a self-proclaimed IT Manager for a FINANCIAL organization, one would think they are near expert level on both Tech and Money Management!).

Personally, I recently took both paths with different devices: Bought now and also waited for a sale. I bought the Surface Book with Performance Base as soon as I could, trading a few hundred dollars for 3-6 weeks of usage (and I needed it ASAP as a replacement). I did NOT complain when there was a sale over black Friday / into the holidays for the Surface Book. That was almost a foregone conclusion. On the other hand, I bought the HP during a sale to replace a perfectly good L950, and I am very happy with both decisions.

As for the Elite x3, I would say that for the right person I have no problem recommending the phone and would even explain a realistic set of use cases for continuum and/or other hardware to augment the phone. But then speed and performance, memory, and current Win10 Mobile features were what I was looking for in my phone. I can't imagine having bought the SB and saying "well hey, this should TOTALLY have a glance screen soon!" *roll eyes*

So far the discussion about x86 running on ARM (but just not my existing ARM-based chip in my phone), misses a fundamental point: The thought of x86 running on a phone is WAAAAAAAY over romanticized by OP. The phone purchased was for a dream, and based on his description, the dream of running x86 apps on his PHONE to close the app gap will likely never even come close to being realized. In fact, you would have a use case very close to that of continuum (IMHO) which trades extreme portability for performance and/or features. You will likely need to be hooked up to a screen to get any benefit from running x86 apps, and that is just un-phone-like. Best case is a wireless DP/HDMI accessory that can broadcast to a monitor, but you still lack a keyboard and mouse. The hardware needed in addition to a phone grows rapidly as you use more and more of the x86 apps. In short: If continuum isn't for you, x86 on a phone is likely not for you as well.

I would be interested to hear back in 18 to 24 months if OP is able to buy a phone running x86 apps and they are not extremely disappointed and still blame the hardware / software for what amounts to poor foresight and imagination.
You win. I couldn't possibly explain it any better than you just did. I'll add something to this. If anybody wants to see what x86 looks like on a phone-sized screen, all they have to do is look up a Samsung Q1 on eBay or Amazon and buy one. I guarantee the notion of using Windows desktop apps on that size display will dissipate quickly. Optimize Continuum and the rest will take care of itself.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

loudog3114

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
First off, I know nothing about Finance, hence I am the IT Manager and not somebody up stairs making real money. And secondly, x86 on ARM is the ONLY hope windows 10 phone users have to close the app gap. Is it ideal? Absolutely not, but I would totally run Chrome and the hangouts client happily on my phone with no alternative. Microsoft put Astoria in their builds, which was heaven sent, then pulled it. Then they claimed their ios to uwp tool (I forget the project name) would close the app gap. So far we have gotten facebook, instagram, and facebook messenger out of that, and with continuing declining market share I don't expect to see more. Then, they announce that they're doing x86 on ARM, which is fantastic; a dream come true really, for Windows users. But, the current generation of devices will not got it. Which means the current generation of devices is effectively dead. Yes, they still work and do all the same things they did when we bought them, but knowing there is something better coming that we won't get with the flagship device we just spent quite a bit of dough on makes it feel worthless to me. It's like buying an iPhone 7 now and then Apple saying the device will never get upgraded past iOS 10. Being a tech person, I don't use dead technologies. And have no doubt, Windows 10 Mobile is dead.

MOBBAK

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
First off, I know nothing about Finance, hence I am the IT Manager and not somebody up stairs making real money. And secondly, x86 on ARM is the ONLY hope windows 10 phone users have to close the app gap. Is it ideal? Absolutely not, but I would totally run Chrome and the hangouts client happily on my phone with no alternative. Microsoft put Astoria in their builds, which was heaven sent, then pulled it. Then they claimed their ios to uwp tool (I forget the project name) would close the app gap. So far we have gotten facebook, instagram, and facebook messenger out of that, and with continuing declining market share I don't expect to see more. Then, they announce that they're doing x86 on ARM, which is fantastic; a dream come true really, for Windows users. But, the current generation of devices will not got it. Which means the current generation of devices is effectively dead. Yes, they still work and do all the same things they did when we bought them, but knowing there is something better coming that we won't get with the flagship device we just spent quite a bit of dough on makes it feel worthless to me. It's like buying an iPhone 7 now and then Apple saying the device will never get upgraded past iOS 10. Being a tech person, I don't use dead technologies. And have no doubt, Windows 10 Mobile is dead.

Any source?

EuroKnuter

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Any source?

Doubtful, it's a generalization. :)

As an example, my Xbox One is effectively dead (no matter how much my children and I use it today), because they've announced Project Scorpio, which has features I can't get on my XBox. The next release of Intel chips makes all of my devices effectively dead because none of them can take advantage of those advances.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to tech.
Exactly.
Even cars. You go out and buy a new car and then they announce next years model which is bigger and better. It's called marketing and it's designed for you to spend all your money without thinking.
OP. Enjoy your 950 for what it is, an excellent device. Sit back, have a beer, and observe what happens over the next year or so. Live in the moment not some imaginary future. It's fun to think about this stuff but I'm not going to be fooled into stressing about it.

Sent from mTalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Exactly.
Even cars. You go out and buy a new car and then they announce next years model which is bigger and better. It's called marketing and it's designed for you to spend all your money without thinking.
OP. Enjoy your 950 for what it is, an excellent device. Sit back, have a beer, and observe what happens over the next year or so. Live in the moment not some imaginary future. It's fun to think about this stuff but I'm not going to be fooled into stressing about it.

Sent from mTalk
Even the same model can get a mid-year improvement. Not just cars, the Lumia 1520 got a 32GB model after release.

earthman007

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm guessing that few here think MS is really giving us phone customers what we'd expect from them , which is probably more accurately to be viewed as what we really want from them. We're now getting Windows 10, with regular updates - and that's about all that MS is offering us at present.

There will probably be some new handsets coming from somebody, somewhere - but we don't really know and shouldn't bank on it. The only safe assumption when we're now buying W10m handsets is that they'll work during out warranty period and possibly gain some OS updates, depending upon how long we keep the handset.

Many of us love the platform - I certainly do. Will I buy another handset in future? I probably will, unless I learn of any alterations to MS plans. But having fallen into the trap of believing that I would be endowed with somewhat vague future blessings from MS and handset manufacturers in the past, I think the only wise position is to buy for the longer term and be prepared to be reasonably content if you only maintain the functionality as purchased, rather than gain any more at any point. And this stacks up whether it's a top or lower end device - it's probably going to save us all from heartache and anguish, if we just accept things warts and all.

If many of us hadn't had past dreams for how this platform could have flourished differently, then we'd not be adding any present discontent on top of that older frustration and maybe anger. They've given us some baggage.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Personally I don't really care if I don't get Windows on ARM on my X3. I do care though if there are annoying bugs that complicate my life in daily use. I gave up on apps on SD, because it just did not work reliably. Sometimes I have to restart the phone to be able to connect with Skype to my contacts. I had the same problem with Wi-Fi, but that seems to improve, knock wood. SMTP does not work for one of my email accounts (it does work everywhere else including my old L1520 with W10M on it). None of it is really a deal breaker, but I would expect that a business phone is reliable about all even if it lacks features. Instead I got an expensive phone that lacks features and is unreliable. That's what _I_ find frustrating.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
There's going to be someone out there who will be able to put Windows 10 for ARM on the Elite x3 once a device running Windows 10 on ARM comes out.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Microsoft put Astoria in their builds, which was heaven sent, then pulled it. Then they claimed their ios to uwp tool (I forget the project name) would close the app gap. .
Island wood, IIRC.

I did have Astoria running on my 1520 but that was killed by political issues.

Sent from mTalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Weak excuse. An iPhone gets updates for years to come and any android phone is almost always guaranteed to at least get one version upgrade. This phone is totally DIW. The creators update brings nothing to mobile.
Any Android? Maybe a higher end model from Samsung, LG or HTC.

NinjaWayne

Jan 5, 2017
Visit site
From what I have seen and although the statements have been that a SD835 chip will be required, the fact is all the demo videos have had Windows 10 running on a SD820... the same chip in an X3.

I wouldn't count it out just yet :)

- Hopeful Windows Fan

MOBBAK

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
From what I have seen and although the statements have been that a SD835 chip will be required, the fact is all the demo videos have had Windows 10 running on a SD820... the same chip in an X3.

I wouldn't count it out just yet :)

- Hopeful Windows Fan

What would you think the reason of showing HP Elite X3 at the end?

https://youtu.be/ULQ9McFn_nU?t=54m52s

I think Cristiano R. Amon gave us a hint of the future of this device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte