Voice commands not working when paired to car

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
When you say not working do you mean Cortana has trouble hearing and making out what you're asking? I have similar issues in my work van and it's basically caused due to the fact when I'm connected to the Bluetooth system, Cortana is using the vehicle microphone and not the phone itself and it's picking up background noise etc or poor quality microphone

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
When you say not working do you mean Cortana has trouble hearing and making out what you're asking? I have similar issues in my work van and it's basically caused due to the fact when I'm connected to the Bluetooth system, Cortana is using the vehicle microphone and not the phone itself and it's picking up background noise etc or poor quality microphone

Yes, this is a problem that Microsoft has to address. If you turn down the volume on the stereo to avoid crosstalk you're also killing the mic. My simple solution was to use my Band 2 for Cortana commands but I realize not many have this option. Headsets maybe?

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Hmm maybe he's got a point, cause my 950xl I can just say "Hey Cortana" and then engages the car audio system to await my command.

I've done it in my 2013 buick and also rental cars

AV8

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
The car, 2014 Taurus, is very quiet. Pushing the "talk" button on the steering wheel mutes the radio. My 950XL worked perfectly. I haven't tried this device in a different vehicle, but I will as soon as I get a chance. Although Cortana is working fairly well on the device, saying "Hey Cortana" does not wake up my device when it is asleep. In other words, if my display is dark, "Hey Cortana" will not wake up the device.

Q: When I push the talk button on my steering wheel, am I talking to my car, or my X3?

My 950XL worked fine.

Thank you for the responses!

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
In my case, on my 2013 Buick, pushing the talk button means I'm talking to the car and not Cortana, so I try to get Cortana to initiate the car system.

I can't remember well, but I think I had some rental car with more simple audio systems where pressing talk did engage Cortana. I know the behavior is not consistent from car to car

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
I have a 2014 c-max energi with sync and a Lumia 650. I hit button on steering wheel and sync says say a command. I say call wife mobile, picture of wife shows up on screen and call starts.

One thing I find interesting is If text comes in, car says text from person and reads it. Then asks for reply or done, I can do either. But I cannot initiate a text from the car. Also wifes android phone will not do any voice commands for text to sync.

seventeenapg

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
The car, 2014 Taurus, is very quiet. Pushing the "talk" button on the steering wheel mutes the radio. My 950XL worked perfectly. I haven't tried this device in a different vehicle, but I will as soon as I get a chance. Although Cortana is working fairly well on the device, saying "Hey Cortana" does not wake up my device when it is asleep. In other words, if my display is dark, "Hey Cortana" will not wake up the device.

Q: When I push the talk button on my steering wheel, am I talking to my car, or my X3?

My 950XL worked fine.

Thank you for the responses!
Cortana simply does not work well on mobile. I am insider on build 15035 and still it will not respond to hey Cortana even when the phone is alive. Also, it will Radley respond when, ad you say, the phone is locked; by that I mean the display is either running glance screen or black. I have a Samsung car charger windscreen mount for my 950 and, through a Nokia CK100 car kit, I would love it if it would play an artist or album but it will not. MS need to sort out Cortana to make it reliable either directly or via Bluetooth.

Sent from mTalk

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have a 2014 c-max energi with sync and a Lumia 650. I hit button on steering wheel and sync says say a command. I say call wife mobile, picture of wife shows up on screen and call starts.

That one is because when you paired your phone to your car, you downloaded your address book and pictures to it right? So it's the car you're talking to and then the car passes the request to Cortana

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12