Any UK users on here?

LGM01

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Hi all, 1st post so hello everyone.............looking more for info from UK users really but any info is great, also this is a personal phone not a work one.

Now CPW has the phone and I'm well over due for an upgrade (thank you Note 7 balls up), thinking maybe time to go back to the Windows (was a huge SPV fan back in the day), Have been using android for a few years now, so Gmail is a must, Chrome as well tho can probably live with out that, have the UK phones run into as many problems as the US one? Is HP UK good on support if I run into problems (tho I guess I would have to go via CPW, which means longer with out a phone if I have to send it back), Also the Deck Dock worth the extra money?

Any help/info be great.

Cheers all.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The dock no question as it's made to be a mobile workstation when combined with HP's Cloud Virtualisation to run Win32 apps.

You can of course use other docks or adapters but HP's dock is recommended for the ease of use as it's tailor made for the phone.

In regards to HP's support, I feel that as an enterprise device the support should be top notch however if you do run into issues there various avenues one can proceed with to get assistance -

https://www.hpe.com/uk/en/contact-hpe.html

Call any number and ask for device warranty :).

I cannot personally say from experience if they are good or bad, can only speak objectively on the matter taking into account the amount they have poured into the device and the push to get it into the enterprise sector.

I would say try the phone out at carphone warehouse and see how it feels for you.

I'm looking to head over to a store this weekend or next and checking one out myself.

If I was to get the phone I'd get it with the dock however that's just me others may disagree so to each their own :).

Last edited:

GuarDeanne

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
I am prospective UK user of x3 Elite.been eyeing it now for a while..Probably going to snag one in the next two weeks, as I am going on holiday soon...

Chippy757

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
I think HP themselves would be ok for support, but CPW support and especially warranty and repair department would not (from personal experience). I thought CPW only do this phone sim free or on their own network? Otherwise would be better to get it from HP direct I would think.

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
UK user ~ my recommendation, don't buy it.

Ignoring the issues on release, overall the phone is constantly hit and miss. One day I can play music (streamed over Spotify) all day long and still have loads of battery, the next day do the same (or even less!) and have very little.

Battery life is questionable despite what some people claim, as I'm adamant my 1520 lasted longer and I used to watch videos on my 1520 a lot... I avoid it on this HP because 1 hour = instant 14% minimum gone

Lack of features like sunlight readability the good old Nokia's had really makes the HP a pain to use in.. you know. day light which I'd assume is a standard use requirement.

My enjoyments thus far since the last two updates: having whatsapp constantly crashing, Spotify saying audio couldn't be started (reboot required) or camera popping up with an error (reboot required also).

Hello beta disabled (iris and finger scan) due to possible link of instability with basic tasks like typing with on screen keyboard.

Hey cortana is enabled but she seems to be shy of responding to me. That microphone at the back + folio case + folded over = People complaining they cant hear me.

Folio case can also turn screen off in landscape due to magnet still reacting with sensor and no option to disable it or have it work like Nokias did with just proximity sensor and no stupid magnet in the case required...

No glance, and from what I can tell, incoming notifications dont ping the screen on like previous windows phones would...

Often find notifications come in at 15 min intervals and all together (multiple apps) and at least with mine, notifications not even vibrating or playing a tune like they should.

I also pinned "apps corner" to my start and it randomly appears and disappears whenever it pleases.

Samsung edge is pushing twice screen on time for things like video playback using the same hardware....

Chippy757

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
^ Well summed up, thanks. This to me makes perfect sense to keep the 950 until something better comes to market, as I would not be able to put up with it with the above issues.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
UK user ~ my recommendation, don't buy it.

Ignoring the issues on release, overall the phone is constantly hit and miss. One day I can play music (streamed over Spotify) all day long and still have loads of battery, the next day do the same (or even less!) and have very little.

Battery life is questionable despite what some people claim, as I'm adamant my 1520 lasted longer and I used to watch videos on my 1520 a lot... I avoid it on this HP because 1 hour = instant 14% minimum gone

Lack of features like sunlight readability the good old Nokia's had really makes the HP a pain to use in.. you know. day light which I'd assume is a standard use requirement.

My enjoyments thus far since the last two updates: having whatsapp constantly crashing, Spotify saying audio couldn't be started (reboot required) or camera popping up with an error (reboot required also).

Hello beta disabled (iris and finger scan) due to possible link of instability with basic tasks like typing with on screen keyboard.

Hey cortana is enabled but she seems to be shy of responding to me. That microphone at the back + folio case + folded over = People complaining they cant hear me.

Folio case can also turn screen off in landscape due to magnet still reacting with sensor and no option to disable it or have it work like Nokias did with just proximity sensor and no stupid magnet in the case required...

No glance, and from what I can tell, incoming notifications dont ping the screen on like previous windows phones would...

Often find notifications come in at 15 min intervals and all together (multiple apps) and at least with mine, notifications not even vibrating or playing a tune like they should.

I also pinned "apps corner" to my start and it randomly appears and disappears whenever it pleases.

Samsung edge is pushing twice screen on time for things like video playback using the same hardware....

Thanks for sharing, a few questions :).

1) Are you on a insider preview release?

2) Have you done any hard resets since you had the phone or any after updates?

3) Which charger are you using?

4) Did you purchase the dock with the phone?

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
1. No. On my 1520 I used to be, and on my first HP elite I was; hoping it would get rid of the issues that were present on release (pre-AU) and then the phone bricked to an never ending HP logo boot up that overheated massively...

For the record, this is my 3rd handset. First one the battery drained completely on standby in only 8 hours and then bricked as per above..

Second one the display kept freezing on one half then going all pixelated until i cycled screen on or off (again, pre-anniversary update) and for a new handset, wasn't going to let a potential hardware fault develop worse down the line no doubt outside of warranty for what should run perfectly.

Now this 3rd one was post AU and brought a lot of improvements.

As i speak, a new update just got pushed out on the phone so maybe my camera and co will work normally again....

2. A few. none of recent. Thinking of doing one soon via recovery tool because of all the problems and would actually you know, like to use hello beta and stuff without it screwing up my phone

3. Dock when im at my desk (it has fast charge 3 by all accounts) but otherwise it's a very expensive charger /stand for the phone for me.... When I'm away the supplied HP wall charger or a power bank.

Continuum is really nice though, and for what I do on my PC which is mostly internet surfing etc, i really should hook up my dock to my screen and use that to be fair, but i also dislike the heat generated especially when the phone starts lagging behind actions which isnt helped by continuous charging in a dock... which has to be powered to enable display out....

4. yes, as thats the only option that was available to start, and the dock isnt all that. I have a wireless windows HDMI adaptor for continuum, also a cheap USB-C to Hdmi adaptor when im travelling. I bought the latter because continuum via wireless got very hot and someone mentioned it may be to do with phone switching between 5 and 2.4Ghz bands (wifi and adaptor).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss