Leaning towards the Elite X3 but unsure???

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Brief history, I picked up my first windows phone, the Icon, shortly after buying my Surface Pro 2 in 2014. The surface Pro 2 was upgraded to a 3 and now a Surface Book. As for the Icon, which I loved, when AT&T was offering free data it was time to jump ship from Verizon and I ended up with a 950 from AT&T. The 950 was OK, but never worked as well as the Icon (maybe I got a dud).

I’ve been fighting battery drain and extreme heat with the 950 from very early on. Usually a restore solves the problem for a month or two, but not this time, now it is actually sitting on the charger not being used and draining as well as heating my office. So it is time!

I really don't want to switch to iOS and Android is even less appealing. With the exception of an iPad mini purchased to Snap Chat with my daughter in college I'm all windows here, laptop, tablet, PC and Xbox and like the way sync.

A Surface Phone is a long way off, if ever, so the only two options seem to be the Elite X3 or the Idol S4. Neither sold locally so I do not have the option to see them for myself.

I was heavily leaning towards the Idol 4S but I’m concerned about an all glass phone. I’m not overly hard on phones but both my Icon and 950 have taken some hard falls that I can’t imagine an all glass phone would survive. And both phones have spent their lives naked and are in pristine condition.

My husband is really pushing me to go with the X3 and I don’t disagree that 2560 x 1440 display would be nice and the desk dock will be more useful than the VR goggles with the Idol. I can only imagine it is more rugged then then the Idol. The QI charging and water resistance on the X3 are also a plus but necessary. I also imagine the X3 will get more updates and improvements from HP then the Idol.

While I want a camera that will take a good enough picture for texting to a friend to show them something, using on my start screen or maybe to occasionally print and put in a frame, camera is not a huge thing for me as I own a Nikon D80 and D7000 with lenses ranging from 50mm to 500mm and I always have the Icon for backup if I need something that fits in a pocket. And I do not use NFC.

What is holding me back from the X3 are many of the reviews. I expect Windows Phones to get some bad reviews on Amazon and other sites from people who are trolling or disappointed they can’t use chrome or complaining about the apps, but was surprised to so many here in the "[Real Users] My HP Elite X3 Review" thread. Things like the LTE not working on AT&T, DOA phones and the replacements DOA as well. I’m not seeing this in the reviews here for the Idol. But then of course there are other reviews stating it is the best windows phone ever owned, but of course same with the Idol.

Have these negative issues worked themselves out with updates. Is the phone as unreliable as some reviewers have made it out to be or is it as stable as others have stated. Are my assumptions that it will be more rugged and get more attention from HP wrong? Does the 2560 x 1440 display make as much of a difference as I think it will?

(sorry for the long post, but I know that usage, needs and expectations help when asking these questions)

zmancb7

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi!

So first off: camera will be underwhelming no matter what. While I am not a photophile and rarely take pics, it does do ok in good lighting, see below

WP_20170228_13_47_29_Pro.jpg

The speed of the shutter is what gets me and the fact you can't turn off the noise.

As for the screen, I'm not sure it's much of a difference from the Idol I saw at the store but it's a noticeable upgrade from my 1520. Much richer colors and videos look great.

I think it really is as rugged as you're led to believe. I haven't had the pleasure of dropping it or water testing it but I carry it with no issue. I'm also much more careful with my phones though so others who have dropped it may have more input here.

But about the actual phone itself, and it's day to day use:

Unfortunately it could be hit or miss. My first x3 just never worked. After updating and hard resets daily, I gave up and sent it back. I watched the Microsoft store employee open a brand new box and replace my x3. Two days later I was facing the same issues. Absolutely ridiculous. I don't know who their quality assurance person was but he/she failed. I went another week with my 2nd x3 before almost giving up and returning it but I worked diligently with a wonderful HP support technician and found that MY issue, was that I never registered my device with AT&T.

Note that I said MY issue. Apparently others continue to experience random freezes/reboot loops and it's been confirmed by HP that the SIM/SD card tray can be an issue.

All in all, I've had it for almost 3 months now trouble free and it is an awesome device. Doesn't heat up like my 1520, battery life is beyond exceptional. Could easily go 2.5-3 days without a charge although I don't. I get this OCD with battery life. On a normal day, I'll have it charged to 100% at 10 pm. it may lose 2-3% idling overnight until I wake up at 5:30am. Then, 40min of Bluetooth audio streaming, texting, phone calls, emails, occasional browsing, another 40min of audio on the way home, more texting, hour long phone calls, and I'll have 55-60% battery by 7-8pm. It charges really quick too.

Continuum is a whole other story I could get in to but basically, if you think you'll use, it's great for what it is. If you think it's kind of gimmicky, it'll be a waste and unnecessary expense for you. I used the lapdock for at least 2-3 hours a day when I was testing things out. Now use it for about 2 hours a day while browsing the internet and posting (like right now!) but I mainly use it when I travel, train and plane. So convenient to have and not miss a beat on my work.

For more info on the 4S I suggesting finding another sub-forum for the Idol specifically or asking on reddit- r/windowsphone

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I started getting a little worried when the first reply was from someone who went through two non working devices, but cheered up when you said it was just a matter of registering the phone. I'll be glad to have the over heating behind me. Not sure if I will use Continuum or not. I'd like to check it out, but there is rarely a time that I don't have a laptop or desk top close by so I don't know what need I would have other then the novelty, but who knows maybe I will find one. The photo you posted looks fine for my needs on a phone and if a better picture is needed at least I know my Nikons aren't collecting dust! Guess I'll hang out a bit and see if anyone has anything further to add.

On a side note, what accessories are using with yours?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Between the X3 and the IDOL4s it is strictly preference and taste in my opinion. I bet the X3 will outlive the IDOL 4s by a long shot do to its construction. We were on Verizon for years, and the Ativ SE and ICON were our first taste of Windows Phones. I had owned Windows Mobile devices in the past like the ipaq series but only as a hobby and not a "life device". I have owned all three the 950, x3, and now currently the IDOL 4s.

For me the IDOL 4s even though it is not keeping features I wish it had that the Lumia 950 has, it fits me better than the x3. The Elite is an excellent phone, and HP is supporting it like crazy. But it can only get so much better than where it first started. I mean only so much code or revisions can go into it to keep it getting better...at some point they will be satisfied with how it is doing and idle those back... Firmware support is right up there though with HP and this device and that is good that they are on top of it. HP support will be better too than the Alcatel support you will receive for the IDOL 4s, something to take into account.

The LTE on AT&T is going to be about the same on both. To me I seemed to get a better signal on the IDOL 4s than the x3. But the x3 is pretty much a GSM world phone. It has all the major LTE bands. The IDOL 4s has most glass and the signals are better and that is probably why.

Not trying to turn you either way, but these are things to think on too.

If you decide to get the IDOL 4s and use it on AT&T I would order the factory unlocked model for sure. I am using it fine on AT&T. The T-Mobile unlocked model will work but is provisioned for T-Mobile specifically and as we have discovered takes more tweaking to get smooth texting and mms data to send and receive.

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Between the X3 and the IDOL4s it is strictly preference and taste in my opinion. I bet the X3 will outlive the IDOL 4s by a long shot do to its construction. We were on Verizon for years, and the Ativ SE and ICON were our first taste of Windows Phones. I had owned Windows Mobile devices in the past like the ipaq series but only as a hobby and not a "life device". I have owned all three the 950, x3, and now currently the IDOL 4s.

For me the IDOL 4s even though it is not keeping features I wish it had that the Lumia 950 has, it fits me better than the x3. The Elite is an excellent phone, and HP is supporting it like crazy. But it can only get so much better than where it first started. I mean only so much code or revisions can go into it to keep it getting better...at some point they will be satisfied with how it is doing and idle those back... Firmware support is right up there though with HP and this device and that is good that they are on top of it. HP support will be better too than the Alcatel support you will receive for the IDOL 4s, something to take into account.

The LTE on AT&T is going to be about the same on both. To me I seemed to get a better signal on the IDOL 4s than the x3. But the x3 is pretty much a GSM world phone. It has all the major LTE bands. The IDOL 4s has most glass and the signals are better and that is probably why.

Not trying to turn you either way, but these are things to think on too.

If you decide to get the IDOL 4s and use it on AT&T I would order the factory unlocked model for sure. I am using it fine on AT&T. The T-Mobile unlocked model will work but is provisioned for T-Mobile specifically and as we have discovered takes more tweaking to get smooth texting and mms data to send and receive.

Hi Nate, I'm glad you replied I've been all over the forum for 2 days now and seeing as you have owned both your brain is the best to pick.

How do the speakers compare on the two phones. My husband was a little surprised when I told him that was more important to me than camera. When I listen to music I mostly do so through my Bluetooth B&O's. But really sound IMHO is one of the most used things on a phone, it alerts us to calls, messages, alarms, videos etc. When browsing Flixter to find movie times if I want to watch a preview I do not run to get my headphones! The 950 is probably the loudest phone I've ever owned but if I am in the car and stumble across a video (as a passenger of course) with the extra noise in the car and the speaker on the back I need to hold the back of the phone to my ear to listen to the video and basically skip watching it!

I know the sound on the Idol is supposed to be superior, but how does the X3 compare to the 950 and is it close to the Idols wonderful sound?

Are you not a little bit worried about walking around with an all glass phone? Is there any sense of ruggedness to it at all. One of the things I've truly loved about the Icon and 950 is how rugged they are. My daughter has been through 2 iPhones (cracked screens) since I purchased the 950 and my husband had to replace his s7 Edge early on. My sons is on his second edge but I am making him live with the big crack down the screen for a while longer because I can. Meanwhile my Icon and 950 are pristine!

I wish I could walk into a store and handle both but there are none any where near!

From all your posts it is pretty clear you prefer your Idol but oddly enough your reply here has pushed me just a little bit closer to the X3. When you talk about the firmware support, updates and HP's commitment it is comforting considering providers all but refuse to support WP. I'm sure you remember how Verizon abandoned us all and discontinued the Icon right after it's release.

Have the firmware updates and windows updates been steadily improving the glitches in the X3? I don't mind them idling back is the phone functions well and glitches have been taken care of!

I have to order one or the other this evening as my 950 is either going to blow up from heat or the battery is going to die before the night is over and I don't think I will get it back again! But the Idol is beautiful making this a very hard choice! Very odd in such a sparse field of phones my biggest problem now is not being able to choose!

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
If you decide to get the IDOL 4s and use it on AT&T I would order the factory unlocked model for sure.

Yup, I have both the unlocked Idol 4s and the Elite X3 in my Amazon cart. And as soon one or the other arrives we will be heading to AT&T to turn it on and switch our plan to the hot spot plan :smile:

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I haven't owned either phone but I've held the Elite X3 at a Microsoft store and I tested the idol 4s for a couple days at work. If I were choosing, Id go for the elite x3 even though I prefer the smaller size of the idol. Someone at work did actually drop the idol 4s and the back of it cracked so you'll definitely want a case with it. I'm someone that never uses cases but I've also never owned a phone that had glass on the back. I think the HP will be much more durable as it's designed that way and it's water resistant. You'll get better support from HP should something go wrong. The HP has two sim slots which is nice for me as I can put in a work or international sim in addition to mine. The speaker on the idol was definitly loud but I know HP put some effort into making sure their device had high quality audio for video calls so I'd bet the HP has better quality audio. Camera's are probably equal but HP has put more effort into improving theirs with firmware updates. Other than that, the idol seemed like a fine device but the HP seemed like it was definitely a high end premium device. Again, I haven't owned either but these are my observations.

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Someone at work did actually drop the idol 4s and the back of it cracked so you'll definitely want a case with it.

That is what I thought and I'm not a case person. I don't know if I dropped my phones so many times because they are so rugged OR or if I am that clumsy!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
True I have owned both. The HP is more rugged. You won't feel as concerned with that one. Just the way it is made. The X3 has only front firing speakers, so I could never hear it when carrying it one me. I really liked the 950 in that it had one really loud rear facing speaker. So if in my pocket I could hear it no matter what. The IDOL 4s fires from top and bottom front and back and it is just as loud, but richer stereo sound. Sounds better than the X3 in my opinion. But the x3 is business focused and made more for voice quality it seems...

The IDOL 4s is not made to be rugged, but it has no plastic anywhere. Glass and metal all around, but a case would make it just as rugged as the 950. I am fine with the phone the way it is, but that is just how I treat all my phones...

I cannot speak for the X3 and where it is now as far as updates/fw fixes/etc. It had some issues early on that affected patches of users, but seems most of that is gone...you would need to poke around the X3 forum threads to see the latest.

The IDOL 4s is the newest released W10M phone. So for me I feel it is still undetermined how Alcatel will treat this hardware going forward as far as updates/firmware fixes and such. It is a ton cheaper, but screen size and overall size is smaller (which I prefer). I have not even touched the VR headset yet, but I have no need for it anyway.

For me it was all about the size of the screen/phone. Honestly that is all it really was. I love W10M of just what it is. A mobile phone does not take much to please me, granted some have really cool features others do not, but ultimately if W10M is on it I am already interested in it. The IDOL 4s is so far the only newest 5.5" Windows 10 Mobile OS phone that I can afford and use on AT&T.

I am fortunate enough to be able to use both the x3 and 4s, and many other Windows, Apple, and Android phones too (and my wife continually tolerates it...). Through that I now know the bigger the mobile device I have to carry around, the more awkward it is for me. Unfortunately I had to kill a lot of money on the x3 to know that. Shame too, because I liked it for what it was, but since I use my phone enough just being comfortable using it with one hand is a must.

I guess if I had to do it over, and was undecided, I would find a way to try the one I was most inclined to buy first as long as there was a way to return it and move the other...

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Well I pulled the trigger on the X3.

I've been spoiled by the fact that the Icon and 950 are so rugged, both have taken some pretty hard falls. Being somewhat rough on my phones I just know I would have cracked the Idol sooner then later! I'm not a fan of cases and I'm definitely going to try the liquid glass on the X3 screen! I've kind of been wanting to try a bigger phone for a while now anyway and having a purse makes it a little easier for us ladies! Not to mention there are several QI charges through out the house!

I'm both excited and a little disappointed at the same time as there is no doubt that the Idol is beautiful. But I have feeling I was going to be no matter which way I went.

The husband will be thrilled as I usually do the opposite of whatever it is he suggests!

In the end I have been compromising and patiently waiting for some time now as the Surface Phone was already rumored before I picked up the 950 last year! And I am figuring the X3 won't be a bad way to wait for the Surface Phone if it ever does arrive!

Thanks everyone for all the input!

zmancb7

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site

I've been spoiled by the fact that the Icon and 950 are so rugged, both have taken some pretty hard falls. Being somewhat rough on my phones I just know I would have cracked the Idol sooner then later! I'm not a fan of cases and I'm definitely going to try the liquid glass on the X3 screen! I've kind of been wanting to try a bigger phone for a while now anyway and having a purse makes it a little easier for us ladies! Not to mention there are several QI charges through out the house!

I'm both excited and a little disappointed at the same time as there is no doubt that the Idol is beautiful. But I have feeling I was going to be no matter which way I went.

The husband will be thrilled as I usually do the opposite of whatever it is he suggests!

In the end I have been compromising and patiently waiting for some time now as the Surface Phone was already rumored before I picked up the 950 last year! And I am figuring the X3 won't be a bad way to wait for the Surface Phone if it ever does arrive!

Thanks everyone for all the input!

To go over some other points you mentioned:

The speakers, are very nice and have clarity like no other phone I've had, even at max volume. But they aren't "loud" compared to my 1520. Side by side, I can hear the 1520s music over the x3 but at max volume or calls, there's no comparison. The B&O on the x3 are great and the microphone as well. Having it on speaker-phone and being away from it while still getting heard.

As far as LTE/data, I get LTE everywhere I go but on calls, I normally get H+ fluctuating. My gf complains she can't hear me sometimes but she's also in bum-**** Florida somewhere and I'm on Long Island so there may be issues on both sides.

For accessories, I got the holiday bundle so the desk dock, lap dock, and the silicon case. The desk dock is cool, but I don't use it. I don't have the cables or set-up right now. The lapdock is my most used as I mentioned before but really not worth its price alone.

You can see a more detailed post here: 33
http://forums.windowscentral.com/hp-elite-x3/437075-3.htm#post3623210

The silicon case is nice, but hides that gorgeous phone and makes it look a little bulkier. I've heard of other people having issues with the leather folio case too. Now I would have the phone naked but it is honestly pretty slippery and I fear I'll drop it. The silicon also isn't the highest quality and the bottom corners are already starting to tear.

I would recommend definitely getting the screen protector. Doesn't leave smudges and keeps the phone looking sexy smooth.

Size wise, I like the phablets- had two 1520s. I don't have big hands but can still 1 hand either phone pretty decently. Swiping the keyboard helps a lot and the ability to re-size the keyboard helps but I normally don't need to.

Great choice and I pray you don't experience the issues the rest of us may have had!

GuarDeanne

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site

Good move... make sure you give us your opinion after first full week of using it and have fun. :) ... I am probably ordering it next week or so... I am aware there are some issues and challenges, but quite encouraged how quickly HP pushes firmware updates... I spend time mostly in the browser, don't use Snapchat, only Whatsapp for work, and long battery and waterproofing are great additions to what this phone is...

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
The speakers, are very nice and have clarity like no other phone I've had, even at max volume. But they aren't "loud" compared to my 1520. Side by side, I can hear the 1520s music over the x3 but at max volume or calls, there's no comparison. The B&O on the x3 are great and the microphone as well. Having it on speaker-phone and being away from it while still getting heard.

That sounds about right for B&O. When I retired my beats headphones for B&O the first thing I noticed is they weren't very loud not just compared to the Beats but to my husbands Bose. But they are loud enough, comfortable, the highest quality material and build and the sound is awesome!

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
On the case front... I have the rugged case from HP and its awesome! Great protection, looks great and isn't too thick.
You'll be happy with the x3. I have been having some issues but have been working with HP. I have not held the idol4 so I can't say to much about it but the x3 is better than my 950xl (except for camera aspect). Eventhough I have pulled out my 950xl a few times and attempted to move back I never actually do.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Congrats on your new phone Jenny. Let us know how it goes.
I too went back and forth between these 2 phones, finally decided on the Idol4s. Mainly because of size. Either one is a great choice though!

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

GuarDeanne

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Of course... Who doesn't love to read first impressions??? :) but, to do all the updates_ OS and firmware, then install all the apps, set them up, then use them, with.different connectivity options combined (Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, LTE), and so on, does take a good few days to put any device through its paces... I am highly curious how the device will perform with latest productivity build installed (the normal, regular updates) and with the newest firmware update ending in 18 that apparently fixes many issues with camera and performance..
..oh, oh..I hear Monument browser eats Edge for breakfast, being so good and all.. Really wonder how well can x3 handle, sayyy, 20 tabs open in a browser..just normal websites, not video streaming ones...:)))

Soooo jealous you get to play with it soon!! :))) have fun!!

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I moved to the X3 from a 950 XL. I'm fairly happy with the phone with the exception of the SD card randomly disconnects requiring a reboot. This is a known bug with larger SD cards. I also miss Tap To Pay and really dont understand why Microsoft hasn't approved the phone for this yet. Battery life has been amazing! I actually get a full day out of a single charge!

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Of course... Who doesn't love to read first impressions??? :) but, to do all the updates_ OS and firmware, then install all the apps, set them up, then use them, with.different connectivity options combined (Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, LTE), and so on, does take a good few days to put any device through its paces... I am highly curious how the device will perform with latest productivity build installed (the normal, regular updates) and with the newest firmware update ending in 18 that apparently fixes many issues with camera and performance..
..oh, oh..I hear Monument browser eats Edge for breakfast, being so good and all.. Really wonder how well can x3 handle, sayyy, 20 tabs open in a browser..just normal websites, not video streaming ones...:)))

Soooo jealous you get to play with it soon!! :))) have fun!!

Yeah all that might take me longer as we literally live in the middle of nowhere Montana. The best home Internet we can get through CenturyLink (which is our only choice) is about 1.5mb which is rare, the average is usually 1mb. When we take the 45 minute drive to town we get about 20mb on our phones through AT&T but here out home we only get about 2.5mb :( so setup will be slow!

We do have unlimited data so I am wondering if there is a way to force the phone to use data instead of WiFi for downloading the updates. Right now it forces me to use Wifi for the updates and the download never gets past 1% and then fails because our Internet is bad.

Might have to go sit outside the bar in town and steal their Internet as they are right next to the highway and close enough for fiber. Won't be the first time and I shouldn't say steal because they know we do it and laugh at us. We've sat in there parking lot many a time with an xbox and monitor in the car!

I really hate Edge and installed UC Browser on my 950. I'll have to give Monument a try!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234