Leaning towards the Elite X3 but unsure???

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I moved to the X3 from a 950 XL. I'm fairly happy with the phone with the exception of the SD card randomly disconnects requiring a reboot. This is a known bug with larger SD cards. I also miss Tap To Pay and really dont understand why Microsoft hasn't approved the phone for this yet. Battery life has been amazing! I actually get a full day out of a single charge!

How many gigs does a card have to be to be considered "big" I have a 120gb card in my 950 that I am planning on moving over to the X3. I know that used to be considered big but now that I have a 200gb in my surface book and SanDisk launching a 256gb I wonder if 120 is still considered big!

Not even sure if I will use it in the X3 as I am plan to research the benefits of two sim cards and maybe I will go that way!

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Ok so one last question for now. Just got back from AT&T. We changed our plan to the new plan that offers the mobile hot spot. If you have read my above post you know how awful my home internet is so it should be no surprise that as soon as we came home we turned on our hot spots and tested them on our computers.

My husband with Galaxy s7 edge is getting a pretty steady 2.5mbps per second. I am sitting a few feet away with my 950 and I can't seem to get over 1.3mbps :unhappy:

Is this a known problem with the 950? Could it be because I can no longer charge my battery about 20 to 25% and it is draining on the charger? The important question here is will the hot spot work better with X3?

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Good choice on the X3. It did have glaring issues at launch but is rock solid now with the firmware and anniversary update.

While not a fantastic camera like the 950xl, it is decent. The updates certainly help. I suggest using the camera in 4:3 mode to get the higher resolution.

The sound is great. The only phone with better sound is my HTC One M8.

Continuum is nice to have but not a game changing application yet. I use it but could also live without it. Here's my continuum setup at a remote desk at my work. I am running Remote Desktop into my -well - desktop in my office. I took the picture with my Galaxy S6 I get from work.

DRliHJy.jpg

Sent from mTalk

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Ok so one last question for now. Just got back from AT&T. We changed our plan to the new plan that offers the mobile hot spot. If you have read my above post you know how awful my home internet is so it should be no surprise that as soon as we came home we turned on our hot spots and tested them on our computers.

My husband with Galaxy s7 edge is getting a pretty steady 2.5mbps per second. I am sitting a few feet away with my 950 and I can't seem to get over 1.3mbps :unhappy:

Is this a known problem with the 950? Could it be because I can no longer charge my battery about 20 to 25% and it is draining on the charger? The important question here is will the hot spot work better with X3?
It's the radio capabilities. The Lumia 950 LTE radio tops off at cat 6 while the S7 Edge can hit cat 9 LTE speed. Overall that could be throughput too. Two different platforms processing the same type of protocol different ways.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
We do have unlimited data so I am wondering if there is a way to force the phone to use data instead of WiFi for downloading the updates. Right now it forces me to use Wifi for the updates and the download never gets past 1% and then fails because our Internet is bad.

A workaround is to use the hotspot of another device. If you and your husband both have unlimited data with tethering, you can tether to each other's phones for updates. Android generally allows updating with mobile data after the update has been available for a certain amount of time. I'm not sure how WM handles that.

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
The sound is great. The only phone with better sound is my HTC One M8.

I think some would disagree with you and say the Idols has the best sound, but I've never heard for myself so maybe I'm wrong!

For my personal use I really do not see the point of Continuum! But that is just me, I work from my house and have a pretty awesome desktop computer on one side of my desk and my Surface Book on the other. I now use my Surface Pro 3 mainly as a tablet every where else in the house! When I leave the house for more then a day even when traveling light the Surface Book is by my side!

So for me other then curiosity I do not see the point. And I am curious. I know it is on my 950 but I've never had a dock. I will definitely try it out once the X3 with dock gets here! Who knows maybe I will find a need I've never thought of!

However I have kept an eye on Continuum as I truly believe once it is fully developed, Continuum combined with one OS for all screens will bring more developers to Microsoft and that will be the game changer for Microsoft. And all of us who hung on through these dismal times will be path setters! Or at least I hope this is the case but it has been a slow road to get there since the rumors started!

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
A workaround is to use the hotspot of another device. If you and your husband both have unlimited data with tethering, you can tether to each other's phones for updates. Android generally allows updating with mobile data after the update has been available for a certain amount of time. I'm not sure how WM handles that.

Data on the phone is unlimited, teathering is 10gb per phone at LTE and after that they throttle you at something really slow. That being said I am sure I can convince my husband to let me share some of his 10 gigs :)

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
It's the radio capabilities. The Lumia 950 LTE radio tops off at cat 6 while the S7 Edge can hit cat 9 LTE speed. Overall that could be throughput too. Two different platforms processing the same type of protocol different ways.

Urgh after searching the Internet to find the radio capabilities of the X3 I found an article here that says the X3 also uses Cat 6.

The phone also has a Cat 6 LTE modem and 2x2 AC WiFi to ensure the best connectivity around.

So it looks like it won't be any better then the 950 :(

The article was written before the phones release so maybe it was wrong. Seems odd that they would limit a hot spot on a phone aimed at corporate business so low. I would assume a hot spot is a useful tool while on the road.

On a positive note what I am getting is still better then the house which currently giving me 630 kpbs!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
On a positive note what I am getting is still better then the house which currently giving me 630 kpbs!

That sounds like what my parents used to get; advertised 1.5Mbps but about half that in real life. Then a new cell phone tower went up in a field right up the road, and now they have high speed available.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
You'd be surprised...the S7 edge has 2x2 MIMO wifi. The lumi has mimo but not 2x2 I think. Wait and see for your self when you test the tethering. Cat 6 and Cat 9 are not that far apart and if you are both seeing same LTE strength you are probably getting the same UP and DOWN of the WWAN modem. I bet it is more on the tether/wifi/router where it dropped 1mbps more. and 1mbps is not much but from where you are located I can see why you want to make every megabit count.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
How many gigs does a card have to be to be considered "big" I have a 120gb card in my 950 that I am planning on moving over to the X3. I know that used to be considered big but now that I have a 200gb in my surface book and SanDisk launching a 256gb I wonder if 120 is still considered big!

Not even sure if I will use it in the X3 as I am plan to research the benefits of two sim cards and maybe I will go that way!

Mine is a 200gb card that works fine in my 950 XL. Only the X3 has had issues and its very random.

MOBBAK

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Urgh after searching the Internet to find the radio capabilities of the X3 I found an article here that says the X3 also uses Cat 6.

So it looks like it won't be any better then the 950 :(

The article was written before the phones release so maybe it was wrong. Seems odd that they would limit a hot spot on a phone aimed at corporate business so low. I would assume a hot spot is a useful tool while on the road.

It's actually cat 4 not even cat 6

Untitled.jpg

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I can see why you want to make every megabit count.

That is an understatement!

My husband calls the guy at Century Link who is in charge of our areas hard ware and upgrades about once every two weeks for the past 2 years to bug him. Last year they finally got the equipment & go ahead to put in fiber, said it would be done last spring but it fell through! Now they are telling us it will be this spring. I'm not putting much faith in that. And considering we are still under 2 feet of snow with no thaw in sight, even if they really plan to do it, it might not happen. We are so far from the box, we will only get 6mb any ways, but I'll take it it happily if it happens. I just keep telling myself I wouldn't change our mountain views for anything, but that might not be true!

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
So updates are all done. Definitely an upgrade from my 950. Looks good, runs smoothly and feels very much like a quality flagship phone. I haven't played with too much yet, but liking it so far.

Set up was smoother and faster then any windows phone I have ever used. All my settings, apps, music and data restored quickly and with no hassles at all!

I’m listening to a playlist in Groove while I type and the B&O sound is pretty nice. Better than any cell phone I have used. It is definitely loud enough. Quality is better at mid-volume, as others have said an EQ would help for the higher volumes. I’ll likely still use my B&O headphones for serious listening, but I wouldn’t expect that kind of quality on a phone so all is good in the sound department.

I keep hitting the power button when I want to hit the volume up button, but muscle memory will eventually tell me that my Volume/Power buttons are no longer in those positions.

I also have to give a shout out to the dock. It is a heavy & solid piece of hardware. At the moment I am only using it on my desk to charge, Continuum will come soon. But it does not slip and putting the phone on the dock is effortless. No fumbling around or adjusting phone slides right on like butter and it does charge super fast.

So far I don’t miss glance and don’t think I will.

I had a little bit of a problem setting up the finger print scanner. Went through the process of it recognizing my finger, adding a second finger, then as suggested setting up a pin. It would then tell me that my "administer" only allows a hello pin and tried to take me through a setup that required I verify my MS account, more work than I wanted to do. When I exited out the finger print I set up was not there. What is important here is I am my administrator I have my own dedicated server and it does not require a Hello pin. I removed the pin tried again with the same results. Finally I tried it again without removing the pin and it works. So it looks like it likes to have the pin there prior to setting up the finger print. End result so far the scanner is working flawlessly first try every time! I can’t tell you how many times I see my husband struggling with the Edge scanner.

As far as hot spot goes Nate was right to suggest I wait until the phones arrives. I’m now getting around 4.0mbps to 5.5mbps. The highest this house has ever seen. This obviously blows away the slow speeds I was getting last night. Oddly enough my computer still thinks it is connecting to “Lumia 950” which makes very little sense especially considering the Lumis is laying here with no battery, SIM or SD!

I am having a few small issues :unhappysweat: When we went to AT&T to switch our plan yesterday they told me I did not have to come in or call to activate the phone, that I just needed to pop in the SIM card. I'm hoping that is the source of some of my problems.

1. I do not have LTE, instead I have H or H+ which I believe Nate reported in his AT&T thread for the Idol. Hoping a call or visit to AT&T will fix this.

2. I have the one SIM card and an SD card. And the phone wants me to know wherever it can tell me so that I am using SIM 1, which for some reason is very much annoying me. I don't like it!

Some tiles and apps are now displaying "SIM 1". The Phone tile has SIM 1 as well as a tiny 1 next to the phone.

My text messages use to display the day and time (Thursday, 5:15pm). Now instead it says "5:15pm, SIM 1" on each message instead and I liked having the day there. This is my biggest annoyance and I am hoping there is a fix.

Also after setup I had 2 new tiles, "No SIM" phone & message tiles with tiny 2's. If I click on them I go to phone and message screens with no data. I know I can just remove the tiles but I am curious what the purpose is and if I am missing out on some great dual SIM feature. Why would I want to have two separate phone apps using two different SIMs?

3. Visual Voice Mail is gone. Again maybe just need AT&T for this.

4. Messenger will not download it keeps failing. I'm very much over Facebook so I don't really care. It downloaded and installed all of my other apps, about 40, quickly and efficiently. The best and fastest restore of a backup I’ve experienced on WP.

5. As expected all of my emails accounts were ready to go after setup. All I had to do is open Outlook it had my 3 exchange accounts displayed and I hit go. I was very surprised to find all 3 accounts were almost done synching upon launch of Outlook. In the past I would have to initiate a first sync to get started. But I'm not having the same luck with the Calendar. No accounts there. I will need to add them manually, but not the worst thing in the world.

On a side note is Outlook the best App for running multiple exchange accounts or are there better ones.

So the phone is very big! And did I mention it is big! But I like it. I have tiny hands. I’m only 4’10” so when I say I have tiny hands I mean it. I was worried I wouldn’t be able to manage it. I wouldn’t have even thought about using it a few years back, but as phones have gotten increasingly larger I’ve gotten more used to a larger phone. When the first Samsung Note came out years back I had a Note tablet and really wanted the phone until I went into the store. The Note dwarfed whatever phone I was using at the time and sent me running. While my 950 is by no means a phablet it is not as dwarfed by the X3 as older phones were by that first Note. And there was a list of things I could not do with my 950 one handed.

I was prepared for it to be big so I ordered a phone ring with the X3 to put on the back to assist me in holding it more comfortably and securely. To my surprise it is actually working very well. I can hold the X3 in one hand with a finger through the ring and surprisingly enough I am able to use the phone with one hand and reach many things I could not reach on my 950. I do need to use the other hand here and there but not as much as the smaller 950. Should have gotten a ring for the 950. The ring will also be helpful with how slippery the phone is. The phone actually slipped right through my hands when I took it out of the box. Luckily I was sitting on the couch and it didn’t go far. No harm done.

The ring also serves as a stand. However the X3 is SO big that the stand does not work in portrait only landscape. In portrait it just topples over. I also ordered a ring for my daughters iPhone and it does not topple in portrait for her.

Does anyone know of an app that I can use kind of like a car dock app when I use the ring as a stand at night on my night stand.

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Oh yeah I should mention YES the box is BIG! I read reviews that mentioned it but wasn't really prepared. I walked into the house with the box from Amazon and my husband asked me what else I ordered. He refused to believe the phone was in that box!

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
It has also just occurred to me that I got those good hot spot speeds, at least good for my personal situation when my phone was on H+. If I understand correctly H+ is slower then 4G LTE, so maybe it will be even better when I get that worked out :smile:

Last edited:

GuarDeanne

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Great first impressions writeup! :D
My only area of concern is restoring apps from backup, as someone suggested the safest way is to apply the OS updates, freshly install the apps and then update the apps. I believe you are staying on regular, productivity builds?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers