Leaning towards the Elite X3 but unsure???

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
So how big is the phone?
Just kidding. Glad your enjoying it. As with all new purchases it takes time to adjust. Hope it fits your needs.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Your computer thinks it is a "Lumia 950" because that is the device name from the backup you installed. Just go into the settings and change the device name. That will also allow you to keep your 950 backup and x3 backup files separate.

As for a car dock app, look at Car Dash. it was made to mimmick the old Driving Mode from Nokia. Might work for your needs.

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Great first impressions writeup! :D
My only area of concern is restoring apps from backup, as someone suggested the safest way is to apply the OS updates, freshly install the apps and then update the apps. I believe you are staying on regular, productivity builds?

Yup, I had some issues with my Icon with the Insider builds, but at the time that was the only option as Verizon was giving us the finger. So now I just go with the regular builds.

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
All but 2 issues seem to have resolved on their own.

After I checked my messages the old fashioned way, up popped a message asking me for my visual voice mail password.

It took about 20 hours but Outlook Calendar added my accounts right about the time I was getting ready to add them manually.

I still need to call AT&T to turn H+ to LTE.

That just leaves the one problem that was actually bothering me. Text messages still displaying "SIM 1" instead of the day. I'm wondering if this because of the dual SIM, a difference between the Lumia line and HP or being on the latest build. But I can't imagine this would be by design, I can't be the only person that goes back to look at a text to reference when something was said or done, the last time I spoke to someone etc.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Call AT&T. Give your account info then tell them you need to update your new imei for the sim card in your new phone.

As far as the sim1 and sim2 goes that is how windows 10 mobile handles it. Maybe you can rename sim 1 to something you'd like better to see, settings->network & wireless->cellular & sim->sim settings, rename sim 1 to whatever. Other than that it is what it is.

Read more in your post here, and you mean the time/date are not shown right? When you send or receive a text or mms? I think there a couple more functions and settings for dual sim phones you can check on that might shed more light...

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Read more in your post here, and you mean the time/date are not shown right? When you send or receive a text or mms? I think there a couple more functions and settings for dual sim phones you can check on that might shed more light...

No it's not that the time/date are displaying incorrectly it is that the date is no longer displayed at all, where the date used to be has been replaced with "SIM 1"

On my 950 every text displayed the day and time at the bottom of the text. So it said would say:

"Monday, 5:00pm"

If the text was more then a week old it would then say

"3/3/2017, 5:00pm"

Now it says "5:00pm, Sim 1"

I honestly don't care how SIM 1 is named, I'd just prefer to see the date of the text instead of SIM 1. It sounds as if it is going to be one of those is it what is and as this is the only gripe I have with the phone it could be worse.

On a more positive note, HP support rocks! For some reason when I connect the doc to my PC I am unable to open my phone on the PC and browse files. It works if I connect USB directly to the phone but not via the doc. We called HP and after a few minutes of trouble shooting they are sending new dock out to me. No credit card needed and no need to send out the defective one.Pretty cool as the dock is pricey at $170.00 on Amazon and I can still use the second to charge in the bedroom!

MOBBAK

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
No it's not that the time/date are displaying incorrectly it is that the date is no longer displayed at all, where the date used to be has been replaced with "SIM 1"

On my 950 every text displayed the day and time at the bottom of the text. So it said would say:

I honestly don't care how SIM 1 is named, I'd just prefer to see the date of the text instead of SIM 1. It sounds as if it is going to be one of those is it what is and as this is the only gripe I have with the phone it could be worse.

On a more positive note, HP support rocks! For some reason when I connect the doc to my PC I am unable to open my phone on the PC and browse files. It works if I connect USB directly to the phone but not via the doc. We called HP and after a few minutes of trouble shooting they are sending new dock out to me. No credit card needed and no need to send out the defective one.Pretty cool as the dock is pricey at $170.00 on Amazon and I can still use the second to charge in the bedroom!

I don't know exactly why you have this issue, but on my HP Elite X3, it show to me like "3/9, 5:00p, SIM 1 Text". So, I can still get the date, time and which SIM with no issues. Maybe because the Lumia 950 backup made some changes on your phone.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

If on the latest Production OS release build and latest FW and have not done a Hard Reset yet, try that.

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't know exactly why you have this issue, but on my HP Elite X3, it show to me like "3/9, 5:00p, SIM 1 Text". So, I can still get the date, time and which SIM with no issues. Maybe because the Lumia 950 backup made some changes on your phone.

I don't know what happened but when AT&T reset the imei we rebooted and the dates were all back! Not sure why they didn't show up with earlier reboots.

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Call AT&T. Give your account info then tell them you need to update your new imei for the sim card in your new phone.

Well that didn't go as planned. They did the update to the imei had me reboot and still on H. They escalated me someone else who told me that the SIM is not compatible with my phone and I would need to go to AT&T to pick up a compatible SIM. I would imagine if the SIM is not compatible, I would not be able to use the phone and text. So I guess at this point I am heading to AT&T to see if someone there can fix it.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Well that didn't go as planned. They did the update to the imei had me reboot and still on H. They escalated me someone else who told me that the SIM is not compatible with my phone and I would need to go to AT&T to pick up a compatible SIM. I would imagine if the SIM is not compatible, I would not be able to use the phone and text. So I guess at this point I am heading to AT&T to see if someone there can fix it.

If it's a pretty old sim passed down from phone to phone they might be right.

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
If it's a pretty old sim passed down from phone to phone they might be right.

I'm not sure what would be considered old in the world of SIM cards, but I can't imagine it is old. Got it from AT&T when I got the 950 from them last year, 2/28/16 to be exact.

The phone call was pretty negative from the start. It was mostly a bunch of windows bashing with a bit of amazement that we found a place that actually still sell such things.

Part of me believes it is their goal to shame windows phone users into using Android or Apple due to the bad experience they manufacture!

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
SIM cards are the same as they have been for years. The only difference is size and form factor. I recently put a cut down micro sim from my wife's flip phone into her Lumia 640

Sent from mTalk

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
That is not entirely true for AT&T, and you can reference this document. I am not saying that is the problem with the Elite x3 in this thread but it is possible being an AT&T sim card that it might be. Then again all older sim cards incompatible could have been micro but it does not hurt to check...

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
That is not entirely true for AT&T, and you can reference this document. I am not saying that is the problem with the Elite x3 in this thread but it is possible being an AT&T sim card that it might be. Then again all older sim cards incompatible could have been micro but it does not hurt to check...

I'll be making the trip to town on Friday unless I can make time sooner. Guess we will see what AT&T says when I get there!

On a side note if anyone knows why my Hotspot is showing up as 'Uninstalled app' in data usage and how I can get it to display as 'Hotspot' please share!

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Well AT&T was not much help. When we got close enough to the tower in town my phone switched from H+ to LTE. So the lady that helped us couldn't really see the problem. She went through all of my settings. The second SIM card was turned on in the settings and she turned it off. It was also set to not roam so she set the phone to roam. She didn't feel it needed a new SIM card but put one in there any way. She had hoped that turning off the second SIM would help, and also thought that the H+ could be showing because the phone wanted to roam. But of course because it wasn't showing H+ there she did not know. I also can't imagine why the phone would be trying to roam when I can see the tower from my house!

As soon as we got into range of the tower by my house it switched back to H+ and now that I am home I am at just H no +. She also kept saying that it might be showing H+ plus on our local tower because "the phone is probably not compatible with AT&T". This of course makes zero sense that the phone is compatible with AT&T when in town but not at home. The one thing I do know is my 950 always showed 4g at home and LTE in town.

She also thinks that the Hotspot is showing as 'Uninstalled App' in my Usage because I deleted an app needed for Hotspot. Obviously not the case because Hotspot is working and I wiped it last night and deleted nothing!

This is very frustrating!

The SilentMajority

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi jenny 311. Let me start off by thanking you, and all who have contributed, for a wonderfully detailed thread. Thanks to it, and my wife driving off with her 950xl on top of her car, we went out and purchased two new X3's.

My phone bounces between 4g, LTE, LTE+ on the regular depending on where I am. Although I'm no expert, I can tell you that it is not your phone but the quality of service in your area.

AT&T Service for me hovers around 50Mbps download to 3Mbps-20Mbps upload. The 950's never got close to that performance. Our X3's on home Wi-Fi runs circles around previous performance as well.

The SilentMajority

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I also had to change my mobile plan to add hotspot service to our lines ( although it worked out of the box with the 950xl). It did not work until the accounts updated, but works just as it did before with our previous phones. (shows 0/8 connected until connection is made).

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi jenny 311. Let me start off by thanking you, and all who have contributed, for a wonderfully detailed thread. Thanks to it, and my wife driving off with her 950xl on top of her car, we went out and purchased two new X3's.

Well I certainly hope you both enjoy your new phones.

So far aside from my two issues, I am certainly enjoying mine.

My hotspot is actually working just as expected. But for some reason the fact that it says 'Uninstalled App' where it should say 'Hotspot' is messing with my OCD. But to it's credit it looks like it is displaying how much data the "Uninstalled App" has used accurately so that is what really matters.

I am absolutely jealous of your speeds. Even if I solve this H+ problem I will never get close to those speeds!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Well I certainly hope you both enjoy your new phones.

So far aside from my two issues, I am certainly enjoying mine.

My hotspot is actually working just as expected. But for some reason the fact that it says 'Uninstalled App' where it should say 'Hotspot' is messing with my OCD. But to it's credit it looks like it is displaying how much data the "Uninstalled App" has used accurately so that is what really matters.

I am absolutely jealous of your speeds. Even if I solve this H+ problem I will never get close to those speeds!
Are you still restoring from the 950 backup? Wonder if it showed that after the first restore you did and maybe that is part of it (Hotspot not looking right)? And yes moving from LTE to H+ is bummer. Maybe try putting roaming on? I am still trying to understand how AT&T's interoperability with Tmobile's LTE band 12 works exactly. If the phone has band 12 but an ATT sim it would seem logical that roaming be on to be able to know to jump to a band other than what is suppose to run on...anyway maybe worth a try I guess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo