New x3 Owner, a few questions

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I'm an on-and-off Windows Phone user over the years. I purchased a Lumia 950XL at launch, used it for about a year, and then switched off to a BlackBerry DTEK60, as I also have many, many years of BB ownership and wanted to give an Android BB device a try. It has been enjoyable, and I'll still keep it around for those tasks when Android is necessary because of the app gap.

Anyhow, I'm in the process of getting everything setup on the x3 and had a few quick questions for those of you who have been using the device for a while, since I have found some conflicting information online.

1. When two SIMs are inserted, does the non-active data SIM have access to voice and text over 3G? I know the Lumia 950XL only supported 2G in this case. Since AT&T has shut down their 2G network in the last few months, the 2nd SIM would be less useful for me since there are times where I use T-Mobile SIM exclusively for mobile hotspot (unlimited versus not on AT&T)
  2. For those of you on T-Mobile primarily, I'm guessing that Band 12 is not usable as the device will not use VoLTE? Or has anyone confirmed Band 12 to be working?
  3. Does visual voicemail work on both SIMs? I know in the early 950XL days this was an issue, even with only one SIM.
  4. Any recommendations for a belt-style holster? This is one reason I keep going back to BlackBerry. On the 950XL there were a few cheap holster options-- not ideal but they did the job.

I plan to check out these details in the future but won't have time until later in the week to truly dig into the device a bit more.

Thanks everyone!

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
  1. The second SIM on the x3 supports 3G networks.
  2. Not on T-Mobile.
  3. Was able to setup voicemail on the first SIM, but oddly haven't had the need to set it up on the second yet.
  4. No help on belt holsters either. Started pocket carrying my Windows Phones years ago and haven't looked back.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, about everything is as expected.

Has anyone actually connected to/used T-Mobile Band 12, even if it is for only data? I could see this as a use case in my scenario, as I travel to some Band 12 areas and could use T-Mobile for hotspot alone and AT&T for voice.

Thanks!

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Also, looks like belt holster is a thing of the past for most phones now. May just look for a leather pouch or something that can be belt carried horizontally. Some options on Amazon.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
One other quick question for everyone. I've read some folks with issues having AT&T LTE out of the box, especially if the SIM being used didn't come fresh out of an AT&T certified device? I won't be popping the SIM in mine until over the weekend, but just curious.

I've never had any issues like that before, though. My SIM has been through a rotation of unlocked devices without any problems, but just curious since right now my SIM is in a factory unlocked Samsung S7, non-branded.

Thanks!

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
One other quick question for everyone. I've read some folks with issues having AT&T LTE out of the box, especially if the SIM being used didn't come fresh out of an AT&T certified device? I won't be popping the SIM in mine until over the weekend, but just curious.

My SIM has made the journey from an AT&T 950 to an unbranded 950XL and now to the x3. No issues and I've been swapping the SIM between the 950XL and x3 for a week now as I talk myself into keeping the HP.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I wasn't expecting any issues, but it seems like some people have an inordinate number of issues with SIM swapping. I never have in the past.

Funny, I'm kind of in the same boat trying to justify keeping the HP as well, still surprised to see that Outlook has a bug that is not showing the "Send Email As" name on outgoing email, just the outgoing email address. Hopefully it's fixed soon --it's been a gripe of mine since I noticed it last September or so.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
Funny, I'm kind of in the same boat trying to justify keeping the HP as well, still surprised to see that Outlook has a bug that is not showing the "Send Email As" name on outgoing email, just the outgoing email address. Hopefully it's fixed soon --it's been a gripe of mine since I noticed it last September or so.

Right now I'm leaning towards returning the x3. I miss the Glance screen and camera of the 950 XL. I really like the build quality of the x3 and the slightly larger screen, but can't help but think the phone needs a tad more polishing before it can be a hands-down winner.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I'm thinking of returning it and going to one of the new Android flagships that will launch in the next month or so. I rode out BlackBerry OS 10 until the last new device was launched and I'm starting to feel like I may be in a similar boat here.

Still torn though. The Test I'm doing is to go home and use nothing but Windows Phone to see if I can make it work for almost everything. Banking apps are the biggest loss, but really its mobile deposit that is the biggest loss.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
I'm thinking of returning it and going to one of the new Android flagships that will launch in the next month or so.

Eh... I'm sticking with Windows Phones until the end.

It's the damn build quality of the Elite x3 that keeps pulling me back. HP really did a good job on that end.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Originally posted by George Ponder
Originally Posted by mryan55
I'm thinking of returning it and going to one of the new Android flagships that will launch in the next month or so.

Eh... I'm sticking with Windows Phones until the end.

It's the damn build quality of the Elite x3 that keeps pulling me back. HP really did a good job on that end.

The build quality is great. I usually like to have a big hefty case on my devices but this feels very rugged without.

What carrier are you using the x3 with? Debating whether to pop my AT&T or T-Mobile SIM in this to give it a whirl as my daily driver for a while.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Originally posted by George Ponder
Originally Posted by mryan55
What carrier are you using the x3 with? Debating whether to pop my AT&T or T-Mobile SIM in this to give it a whirl as my daily driver for a while.

AT&T. Took a few minutes for the visual voice mail to pop-up but otherwise no carrier issues.

Nice. Very similar to my experience with the 950XL after VVM was enabled early 2016.

I was lucky enough to have 2 local Microsoft Stores that stock the x3, so I can return in person if I do decide to return it -- but jury is still out for me.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
Hi. Is the X3 still worth purchasing at this time? I'm thinking about it.

Jed... by all means it is worth the purchase. I'm just having second thoughts because I really like the 950 XL. If the 950 XL had the build quality of the Elite x3 or the Elite x3 had the camera of the 950 XL, the choice would be really easy.

Both devices really shine in certain areas and neither are a bad choice. I'm just struggling with which choice is the best for me.

Jed Cutler

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Jed... by all means it is worth the purchase. I'm just having second thoughts because I really like the 950 XL. If the 950 XL had the build quality of the Elite x3 or the Elite x3 had the camera of the 950 XL, the choice would be really easy.

Both devices really shine in certain areas and neither are a bad choice. I'm just struggling with which choice is the best for me.

Thanks. My fear is the random reboots. Experienced this with my 950XL before using a 128GB Sandisk card. And I still read about it now

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
Thanks. My fear is the random reboots. Experienced this with my 950XL before using a 128GB Sandisk card. And I still read about it now

If it makes you feel any better, I've had the Elite x3 just shy of two weeks and only experienced one spontaneous reboot.

It was during a from download from the Store the other day when Microsoft's online services went wonky. Could have been the device, could have been something related to the online issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers