Mobile Hotspot on T-Mobile US

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I know that there are a few of us running a dual SIM setup with AT&T and T-Mobile SIM cards. I pay for unlimited hotspot with T-Mobile and AT&T only offers a max of 10GB without going to a data share plan, so I would like to use the T-Mobile hotspot but am receiving and error when going to use it.

Everything is working fine on AT&T, and pretty much every feature I can think of on T-Mobile is working as well, other than mobile hotspot.

The error is rather vague, stating that "The app from your mobile operator didn't respond in time."

A little online searching didn't yield any real info, so looking for some help so I can get to using what I'm paying for. Thanks!

Attachments

• wp_ss_20170408_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20170408_0001.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 11

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Bug! I had my hotspot working on earlier builds, maybe pre-AU?

I get same. I have TMO in slot one and AT&T in slot two.

6U4iROD.jpg

You can see I had it all setup, but when I turn on, I get that message.

7OJrd7K.jpg

I posted to feedback - https://aka.ms/Thvv9f

Sent from mTalk

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I upvoted and attached my screenshot in the Feedback Hub. Kind of an annoying bug here.

Are you still on Anniversary Update? I have a Lumia 950XL with Creators preview on it, so I will pop the SIM in later and check it out.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Cool, thanks for posting over on MS community. I'm not over there much.

Here's my troubleshooting so far. Put T-Mobile SIM in 950XL dual SIM, tray 1. Wifi hotspot works fine on Creators Update 10.0.15063.2.

So I'm going to say that this is all down to software.

Now I guess it's a question of if I just wait for Creators Update to be released and see if it fixes it on the X3 or switch over to Insider Release Preview on the X3 and see what happens. Only questions is, once the current release preview becomes current branch, will my device fall back in line for future firmware updates? That's my biggest concern... don't want to be doing another hard reset in a few weeks if there's a FW update.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I'm going onto the slow ring to get Creators Update to try this out. Since since almost released hopefully it's pretty stable.

Once 10.0.15063.2 is the current release I should automatically get firmware updates again, right? That's kind of how I'm reading it. Or am I faulty in my thinking...

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Creators Update didn't help. Still hotspot error on T-Mobile. Since I use the hotspot several times per week for work I will be using the 950XL or another member of the fleet for a while. Using WDRT to take the x3 back to stock and will fiddle with it again in the future to see if WiFi hotspot gets working again. In the meantime I will keep my AT&T SIM in it and take the device with me when I might need mobile hotspot in a more rural area where TMobile coverage lacks. So for now it will be a high priced mobile hotspot that I use for Continuum.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I can confirm that this issue is still present on the latest non Insider release, 14393.1066. Not a huge pain in the butt since I can always switch to the AT&T SIM but I don't get unlimited hotspot on that line.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Tmobile hot spot works just fine on my x3

Interesting. What APN settings are you using? Only device on any OS that gives me problems is the X3.

Not that it should make a difference but are you using a dual SIM setup? TMO SIM as primary or secondary?

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Just a little update for anyone else experiencing the same issue as me with the T-Mobile mobile hotspot feature. You would think that a device that has been available for 8 months or so now would have the kinks worked out, but apparently that's not the case.

Anyhow, I had some time to tinker this evening and installed Interop Tools and made a few registry tweaks as Lumia 950/XL users did last year to get mobile hotspot working with AT&T Go Phone SIMs. You can find the process on these forums and on numerous others. Anyhow, since the tweak everything appears to be working just fine. Pulling my customary 12 mbps down and 4 mbps, which is about where T-Mobile caps the hotspot on their end.

All in all, a pretty easy solution if you keep developer mode turned on. I didn't think going to back to "Windows Store Only" for app installations would cause any issues, but after I switched back and did a subsequent power cycle the hotspot ceased to work again -- the registry had flipped back to default settings. I'm also thinking it's possible that using the 2nd SIM briefly may have forced the settings back. Not sure, but will watch it more closely going forward and report back.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Two days in and everything is working OK still, although flipping from SIM 1 to SIM 2 seems to alter the registry entry to cause issues on the T-Mobile SIM until it's altered again.

Posting this on hotspot right now!

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. What APN settings are you using? Only device on any OS that gives me problems is the X3.

Not that it should make a difference but are you using a dual SIM setup? TMO SIM as primary or secondary?

I pooped my sim in and it works. Weird thing it shows up as 950 XL, wondering if this is due to restoring from backup

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Kind of weird. The consensus among us x3 users here and on the Microsoft forums has been that T-Mobile is troublesome. Maybe restoring from backup also permanently restored a registry entry like I am having to manually edit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)