Bootlooping -- phone won't get past the HP logo on startup

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm beginning to wonder if my x3 has been belatedly caught up in the bad Insider release experiences of June 1. This morning (June 3) I found it in the charging stand bootlooping every couple of minutes and never able to get past the stylized hp logo -- the blue windows logo never shows. Yesterday evening it was working fine. Since MS took down the bad OS releases on 6/1 almost as soon as it became clear that something was wrong, I don't see how I could have received a pushed release on 6/2 that tried to auto-install overnight.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is HP pushing a firmware update that I don't know about?

My x3 is registered in the Insider Program, but I keep it on Release Preview. I have a 950XL that I use to test Fast Ring releases.

If this doesn't resolve itself within the next few hours I will try WDRT, which is always a pain.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Once it's in that spiral, I don't think I've heard of a phone getting out of it. I'd WDRT it sooner than later and use the time to get a headstart on setting it up.

aj173

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, Microsoft tried to get it down as fast as possible, but it was still up for several hours. Dona's Twitter implicitly confirms that some people were still being offered the update as of 10am the next day, so there are going to be some residual ripples in the pond as people who thought they were in the clear bump into their update windows.

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Good news, I think. After several failed attempts to do anything with WDRT, I finally managed to trigger a firmware reinstallation that opened the phone to the bone-stock setup screen -- language, country, etc. I am now in the process of restoring the files, apps, etc. from yesterday morning's backup. This will probably take hours, but I seem to be on the way.

WDRT could not tell what Windows software the phone had, nor could it automatically recognize the phone. Once I told it that I had connected an HP x3, it offered me the firmware installation, but no Microsoft system software. I'm sure that I will be in for a long march to the Creators Update once I get all my files back.

Anyway, I think I can issue a provisional sigh of relief: huff!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos