Elite X3 as replacement for 950XL

RealtorTechGuy

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Would really appreciate some feedback. Wife's 950XL front facing camera has bit the dust. Having a hard time having MS locate a replacement. Looking at replacing with an Elite X3. The large screen and camera are very important. My option is to source a 950XL online or refund and purchase the X3 at the MS Store.

Can anyone offer input on their opinion of which to go with? Elite X3 or 950 XL? Again camera is important

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd go with whatever is cheaper. The way Windows 10 Mobile is going I would keep investment to a minimum while getting hardware that meets your needs.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
@RealtorTechGuy, for what it is worth, not 30 days ago, it was confirmed that my 950XL had a camera issue that was caused by a hardware issue. I took it by the Microsoft Sore to see if I could get a replacement. The manager, who was from my old neighborhood, said not problem. I told him that I had read that some stores were allowing the substitution of a X3, in lieu of the 950XL; he said he would do that for me. So I looked at the X3, and it was nice - but I too care more about the camera, so elected to go back to the 950XL (in a plain brown box even), instead of the X3. Now this is what "I" did (but, I am still glad I did), the manager did say that most people did the same thing...choosing the 950XL with the superior camera, over another option.

BTW: after setting up the new 950XL, and updating to insider Fast Ringer...it runs like a rocket!

RealtorTechGuy

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Ok that is really helpful info from you both. Coat is not an issue as it should be a net wash between the two.

Is the camera difference like going from Ferrari to Porsche or like Ferrari to Audi? 950XL being the Ferrari.

I get the XL might be better but is that much better?

Wife just saw the HP and says she rather switch but that is playing in the store and not being able to fully test a camera.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
As much as I'm enjoying the better performance and superior battery life on my x3, if the camera is a deal breaker then it's a no-brainer. Get the 950.

Sent from my Elite x3 on mTalk

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I love my Elite x3. It's the best phone I've ever had. And it's a handy little tablet too.

But if having a camera in your pants pocket is important to you, get a 950 or 950 XL. I know @libra89 is selling a Lumia 950 in the Windows Central marketplace.

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
So,
After months of dealing with HP Support I am finally getting my Elite X3 refunded.
the 950XL has a much better camera and less issues from my stand-point.
I am currently using an old iPhone, but working on going back to my 950XL probably in the next couple weeks.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
With the exception of the camera, I find the X3 superior in all other areas. I love the fingerprint sensor which is amazingly responsive and the battery life is nothing short of amazing. I can actually go a full day without plugging in! If you can deal with the camera not being as good as the 950 XL, you will love this phone.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
With the exception of the camera, I find the X3 superior in all other areas. I love the fingerprint sensor which is amazingly responsive and the battery life is nothing short of amazing. I can actually go a full day without plugging in! If you can deal with the camera not being as good as the 950 XL, you will love this phone.

My experience as well.

I really really enjoy this device. I haven't experienced any issues.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I had been using my 950xl for a few days. I like it but have switched back to the X3. The size is great and the screen tremendous.

Love the fingerprint scanner also.

Not that the 950xl is bad. Dual sim plus sd card, NFC and brilliant camera all make for a great combination.

Sent from mTalk on my HP Elite X3

plarusa85

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
The 950xl is better in some significant area. It has the audio equalizer while the x3 does not. The 950xl double tap to wake works better. My x3 exhibits an annoying issue where the auto screen brightness fails to work until the phone is rebooted. The 950xl battery does not last as long as the x3, but it is user swappable. One can also charge spare batteries externally. As mentioned here, the 950xl camera is way better.

I love the hp lapdock, and discovered that it works with the 950xl. You will need the x3 to upgrade the firmware.

I primarily use the x3 but have not retired the 950xl.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Also. The 950xl has 2 sim cards vs 1 for the x3.

The X3 is dual sim too. Do you know which variant of the X3 has a single sim? Because it does exsist much like the single sim 950 XL exists (RM-1085)

Now the one thing the 950 XL can do though is house all three...2 sim cards and an SD card all at the same time. The Elite X3 has a hybrid sim holder that can hold 2 sim cards or 1 sim and an sd card.

Last edited:

plarusa85

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
You are right about the x3 supporting 2 sims, looking at the manual. The second tray slot is shaped like an SD card, so i did not realise it can host a second sim.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3