Just bought it!

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
My 1020 is dying so I needed a new phone. I really wanted the 950/XL but couldn't find a new one with a warranty. After much wavering, I finally bought the Elite x3. It is still in the huge box because I don't have a case for it. I went to the at&t and Verizon stores, Best Buy, and the Microsoft Store and nobody had a case. The closest thing was the silicone sleeve at the Microsoft Store. I found a nice case on Amazon but it won't ship until September. I can't wait that long, so I broke down and bought a cheap folio case that will come next week to tide me over. I even paid extra to have it shipped Monday, and that was difficult because I'm a devout cheapskate. But I need my phone as soon as possible. Anyway, thanks for reading. I just wanted to share my feelings with folks that cared. Jason Ward ain't got nothin' on me!

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Welcome. You can run without a case for awhile. The phone is solid. Just don't throw it across the sidewalk.

Do run all firmware updates. The device is great.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Congrats on your new Elite X3! Please share your impressions with us when you get it tomorrow. I hope that you enjoy it!

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Ugg. Wrote a Jason Ward-sized post with the x3 and the Windows 10 app kept crashing. To summarize what I wrote, I really like the hardware. It is beautiful and premium. I love the massive screen. I'm currently using the screen naked and having the phone in a cheapo leather folio. The phone in the folio has to be very carefully positioned on my wireless charger in order for it to charge while in the folio case. I was disappointed with the battery life, today, because I drained it to 50% after 8 hours of normal use. I heard that this has legendary battery life. Hopefully the battery with get trained. The double tap to wake is unreliable. I haven't tried the Windows Hello features, yet. I'm a bit concerned that the iris scanner is harmful to the eyes but I haven't researched this. I like how fluid and fast the UI is but it is not as elegant as Metro and it feels too much like a hodgepodge of iOS and Android. The camera is predictably just ok. It is a shame that Windows 10 Mobile failed. It is Nutella's fault.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Ugg. Wrote a Jason Ward-sized post with the x3 and the Windows 10 app kept crashing. To summarize what I wrote, I really like the hardware. It is beautiful and premium. I love the massive screen. I'm currently using the screen naked and having the phone in a cheapo leather folio. The phone in the folio has to be very carefully positioned on my wireless charger in order for it to charge while in the folio case. I was disappointed with the battery life, today, because I drained it to 50% after 8 hours of normal use. I heard that this has legendary battery life. Hopefully the battery with get trained. The double tap to wake is unreliable. I haven't tried the Windows Hello features, yet. I'm a bit concerned that the iris scanner is harmful to the eyes but I haven't researched this. I like how fluid and fast the UI is but it is not as elegant as Metro and it feels too much like a hodgepodge of iOS and Android. The camera is predictably just ok. It is a shame that Windows 10 Mobile failed. It is Nutella's fault.

For the battery...Give it a few full drain and charge cycles. They are like that right off the shelf...mine was the same way, but I tend to pound on them at times.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I hate this app. I keep writing Jason Ward posts that the app fails to post. I even have this trouble with the desktop app.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Ya. I stopped using the WC apps on W10M. I only use the Mtalk app now. I can access all the content and the ones I really want to read I click to access the browser with.

EDIT: There are actually two WC apps. One is from the WP8 days and the other is the newer UWP app that WC realeased.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I think if I use the "quote" function, the UWP desktop app fails.

Anyway, I will try again.

I miss glance screen. The fingerprint reader is awesome. I'm still afraid of the iris scanner. I am confused with the Windows 10 Mobile version of OfficeLens. The Windows Phone 8.x version saved the picture as a .pdf and OneNote file and both of these were autosaved to OneDrive, in the documents/OfficeLens folder. In Windows 10 Mobile, there is an option to select the destination. If .pdf or OneNote are selected, the file is autosaved to OneDrive, in the documents/OfficeLens folder. If OneDrive is the only option selected, I'm not sure where the file goes and what format is used

I will try to fight OLED burn in as much as possible. I am using only dynamic tiles. All of the static tiles are unpinned, now, including frequently used ones like settings and Steam. I'm rearranging the tiles periodically. I'm using a black background for the tiles, and the daily Bing image for the lockscreen. I am trying to only use apps that utilize dark theme. I have learned from experience that using high contrast mode paradoxically promotes burn in because of the bright white lines, so I'm avoiding high contrast mode. I'm swiping away the bottom bar as fast as I can.

Thanks for listening. I really like the monster phone. I cannot return to a smaller phone.

chenryhen

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Congrats on the purchase! I'm the opposite re: monster phones. I envy your specs, but the 950 is about as big a phone as I can tolerate.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I have a bummer to share then a question. I was upset about something and when I left the house and tried to lock the door while holding the phone, the phone fell to the ground and the bottom left corner suffered a scratch. Oh well. I'm just bummed because it is a new phone. I'm surprised that the phone was damaged because it was in the folio case. At least the screen is ok.

The phone charges on the wireless charger much better if I take the phone out of the folio case. That takes away a bit of convenience, however. I was wondering if I should forget about the folio case and just use the phone without a case, but like someone else mentioned, the phone is so slippery that I am afraid to use it that way. I'll just keep it in the case when I'm not charging it.

My question is regarding the bit locker encryption. I went to the settings and saw the option to encrypt the device, and out of curiosity enabled the encryption. Then I read in the comments in an old article that enabling encryption might lead to problems when you upgrade the phone to a new firmware or OS version. There was one reader that could not access the device after enabling then disabling encryption then upgrading the OS. So I immediately disabled the encryption. Does anyone know if enabling then disabling the encryption interferes with the accessibility after updates?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Enabling and disabling encryption, if it would interfere with being able to access your device (login), correct?

I've seen bit locker lock out folks before and I myself have been locked out but never on Windows 10 mobile yet. I'd say unless you know what it does in the long run just leave it default, but to be locked out at that level after taking a firmware update seems like a bug, and hopefully you are on the latest released fw. Even though I'm not any bitlocker expert I'd say If you put it back to where it was you should be fine, but maybe ask that question over in the Windows 10 Hub too.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
You running it naked or case?

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

Sorry just saw this - naked. The x3 cases both died as they have this weak area. My x3 is now full time docked and on continuum mode.

2dd060a92e4aaedb65bfba290a253c7a.jpg

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Are you doing this just to play around and test it?

Not at all. I did use it part time in continuum at work on an extra cubicle but I.needed that spice so kicked myself out. The phone has some glitches after I accidentally threw it about ten feet. Also, I've been using the 950xl more for work and an Iphone 7+ for personal. I just need a place to sit, check email and the internet using a larger screen so setup an extra area in our home office. Almost all my files are either in my personal OneDrive or work OneDrive for Business cloud so I can access easily.

Some issues are that it is hard to print and there's no ability to scan to the device. I can only have the one app open at any given time.

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Great! Thanks for buying a new Windows 10 mobile phone. I only think the platform will stay as long as many of us stay. Not many are left now though.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Not at all. I did use it part time in continuum at work on an extra cubicle but I.needed that spice so kicked myself out. The phone has some glitches after I accidentally threw it about ten feet. Also, I've been using the 950xl more for work and an Iphone 7+ for personal. I just need a place to sit, check email and the internet using a larger screen so setup an extra area in our home office. Almost all my files are either in my personal OneDrive or work OneDrive for Business cloud so I can access easily.

Some issues are that it is hard to print and there's no ability to scan to the device. I can only have the one app open at any given time.
What are your difficulties? I have a Brother laser MFC at home and a HP in my truck (Continuum mobile office) and they both scan perfectly. For printing the Brother app works ok but only if you're printing from the app while the HP shows up on Edge and other apps when you select "print".

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss