11-23-2017 08:15 PM
375 ... 12131415
tools
    Replaced my 950xl with the Verizon Elite x3 today. Nice warranty replacement, MS store gave me in store credit for the purchase price.

I put my ATT SIM card in and the Verizon variant works fine with the SIM.

Still gauging the reception, so far better than the 950xl. Still want to go back to Verizon because of reception issues.

Restored from my 950xl backup perfectly, including texts. Very happy.

Funny, MS Store did not know what they had, and did not know it was in stock. No phones on display other than the MS Samsung. They verified their entire last shipment was the Verizon version, no dual sim GSM only. Very nice staff at the Portland store.
    nate0, fin11 and libra89 like this.
    11-04-2017 10:49 PM
    Congrats on the deal.
    11-04-2017 11:10 PM
    So, the only issue I'm having with my x3 right now is that MMS does not seem to work at all. I cannot send pictures, and my friend's group messages just show up as "Download" buttons that never succeed. Anyone else have their x3 activated on Verizon notice this?
    11-05-2017 01:42 AM
    Hey everyone. Side note question. Is there a text messaging app in the Windows Store that has Gif support or a link to a Gif datatbase baked into it. As far as I'm aware it's not on the regular messenger app. Just curious. Any and all help with this would be truly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
    11-06-2017 03:59 AM
    So, the only issue I'm having with my x3 right now is that MMS does not seem to work at all. I cannot send pictures, and my friend's group messages just show up as "Download" buttons that never succeed. Anyone else have their x3 activated on Verizon notice this?
    you might have to enter the settings for MMS manually... just call or look online for the MMS settings and it should start working. OR you might have to call your cell provider and register the IMEI number of your phone and then it will/should work...
    aximtreo likes this.
    11-06-2017 07:19 AM
    This happens to me just about every single time I switch phones on Verizon. The easiest way to fix this is to have two sim cards then when you want to switch to another phone register it with the second sim card. I have never had MMS work when trying to switch phones using the same SIM card and Verizon chat help was not able to make it work that way either.
    nate0 likes this.
    11-06-2017 07:48 AM
    I agree with ocdtrekkie with the mms issue. But it could also be due to that you are coming from an older windows phone. Or sometimes a different phone entirely can mess it up. The RCS (Rich Communication Services) feature set may have been stuck on an old version for the phone especially if it was one upgraded from WP8. Which can confuse VZW servers on their end when you swap sims. You could try activating the phone online from your account to see if that helps too. If you have an iPhone, you need to turn iMessage off before switching the sim or you will really jack things up...especially if you are not moving to another iPhone.

I had this happen the other day actually where I would get the download button but no mms message would appear. I finally after toggling Messaging mms settings and re-registering ims under apn settings got it to work again. This was on my ICON.
    11-06-2017 07:59 AM
    This happens to me just about every single time I switch phones on Verizon.
    I switch phones on Verizon a lot, and I've never had this problem. I've probably used 6 or 8 different phones over the last 4 years or so, all factory unlocked Androids and iPhones. I don't edit any settings, contact Verizon, go online and switch devices, or anything. I simply insert my current Verizon SIM card and go.

The only trouble I've ever had with MMS not working out-of-the-box is with MVNOs on AT&T.

My guess is that this issue is related to W10M and provisioning. Verizon probably doesn't know how to handle it. This is the first native W10M device on Verizon.
    11-06-2017 08:07 AM
    I switch phones on Verizon a lot, and I've never had this problem. I've probably used 6 or 8 different phones over the last 4 years or so, all factory unlocked Androids and iPhones. I don't edit any settings, contact Verizon, go online and switch devices, or anything. I simply insert my current Verizon SIM card and go.

The only trouble I've ever had with MMS not working out-of-the-box is with MVNOs on AT&T.

My guess is that this issue is related to W10M and provisioning. Verizon probably doesn't know how to handle it.
    Ever switched it with another Windows phone? Or from an iPhone to Windows phone?
    11-06-2017 08:09 AM
    Ever switched it with another Windows phone? Or from an iPhone to Windows phone?
    No, I've never used a Windows phone on Verizon. Only iPhone and Android. But I've never had issues going back and forth between those two.

Verizon never had a W10M device before, only upgrades from WP8.1. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the issue.

Daniel Rubino posted on Reddit some months ago that Microsoft, through overzealous layoffs, didn't have proper CDMA engineers, which is why until now we haven't seen W10M devices on Verizon (or Sprint or US Cellular).
    aximtreo likes this.
    11-06-2017 08:21 AM
    No, I've never used a Windows phone on Verizon. Only iPhone and Android. But I've never had issues going back and forth between those two.

Verizon never had a W10M device before, only upgrades from WP8.1. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the issue.

Daniel Rubino posted on Reddit some months ago that Microsoft, through overzealous layoffs, didn't have proper CDMA engineers, which is why until now we haven't seen W10M devices on Verizon (or Sprint or US Cellular).
    It is possible it is related to the OS side on W10M and/or provisioning from either side (VZ or the phone). @ocdtrekkie did you get it worked out?
    11-06-2017 08:24 AM
    It is possible it is related to the OS side on W10M and/or provisioning from either side (VZ or the phone).
    That's my guess, but of course I have no idea. I'm basing that assumption off of two things:

1. No issues when SIM swapping between factory unlocked iPhones and Androids
    2. Microsoft's evident lack of CDMA engineering capabilities

But who knows? I'm curious whether this can be fixed with manually editing the APN, or if Verizon can provision it.
    11-06-2017 08:28 AM
    That's my guess, but of course I have no idea. I'm basing that assumption off of two things:

1. No issues when SIM swapping between factory unlocked iPhones and Androids
    2. Microsoft's evident lack of CDMA engineering capabilities

But who knows? I'm curious whether this can be fixed with manually editing the APN, or if Verizon can provision it.
    I have never seen anybody have issues switching using an Android phone... I have only had this issue with Windows Phone cause that's all I use anymore. I have had this issue going from the Icon to the 735 and from the 735 to the X3. It never has an issue as long as I change the SIM card everytime, which is why I always keep two, so I can swap phones. Verizon when looking at it could not figure it out either and recommended trying the other SIM card as well.. so there may be another answer but they didn't know either.
    BeachBomb likes this.
    11-06-2017 09:16 AM
    I'm talking to Verizon support over Twitter right now. But I think I found the issue, vzwims or whatever is set as the "Internet APN", but there is no APN configured under "MMS APN". So clearly I need to add one.
    11-06-2017 10:20 AM
    I'm talking to Verizon support over Twitter right now. But I think I found the issue, vzwims or whatever is set as the "Internet APN", but there is no APN configured under "MMS APN". So clearly I need to add one.
    If this is helpful, here is my entire APN:

apn_verizon.jpg

Here is a link to imgur that will be easier to read: https://imgur.com/a/dqw7O
    Attached Thumbnails apn_verizon.jpg  
    aximtreo likes this.
    11-06-2017 10:32 AM
    Interestingly enough, your APN settings don't include the important one for MMS: The MMSC url. I found it online, and am trying to get it to work. Hilariously, Verizon says you can't edit the APN, while I'm editing the APN. Guess they're used to crippled mobile devices that don't let their owners control them.
    11-06-2017 10:35 AM
    With ZERO help from the Verizon rep, I did get it working: The APN name needs to be all caps "VZWINTERNET" even though my first website I looked at had it lower case, the authentication type needs to be set to "none", and the MMSC URL for Verizon is http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms

If anyone else is having MMS issues with their Verizon Elite x3, point them at this.
    aximtreo likes this.
    11-06-2017 11:16 AM
    Interestingly enough, your APN settings don't include the important one for MMS: The MMSC url.
    I saw that. I wonder why my phone doesn't need it but yours does. I've never edited the APN on any device on Verizon.

Guess they're used to crippled mobile devices that don't let their owners control them.
    This is an interesting way to view the situation! Crippled seems a bit presumptuous considering yours doesn't work out-of-the-box but any Android or iPhone does. The rep probably didn't know what to tell you because they never have to deal with it.

I can most certainly add any APN I wish. I don't have to though because it works fine without!
    11-06-2017 12:12 PM
    My guess is there's some carrier-proprietary crud in your Android that says "if Verizon use this MMSC". Without knowing which Android you have, I don't recall ever being able to tamper with my APN settings on my old Verizon Android devices, so it might be one of those things where locked phones sold through Verizon generally have it disabled (or used to, back when I had those phones), I don't know.
    11-06-2017 12:40 PM
    (Sorry for the repost, but I think my question got lost in the last SMS convo. Here it is again:)

Out of curiosity, is there a text messaging app in the Windows Store that has GIF support baked in or links to a GIF datatbase? As far as I'm aware it's not on the regular messenger app. Any and all help with this would be truly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
    11-06-2017 01:03 PM
    Activated the elite x3 on vz this morning. I'm able to send pics fine. My voicemail was messed up a bit though. Seems even basic visual voicemail is not supported on the x3 with vz currently.
    11-06-2017 02:01 PM
    Activated the elite x3 on vz this morning. I'm able to send pics fine. My voicemail was messed up a bit though. Seems even basic visual voicemail is not supported on the x3 with vz currently.
    Yeah, Visual Voicemail never worked on my Icon. Verizon had a weird issue with their app which included the preceding 1 in my area code, and then cut off the last digit of my phone number, and hence just failed to work.
    11-06-2017 02:16 PM
    Yep I remember that problem. I actually got that fixed one time. Can't remember how but I had to work with a tier two or three tech to do so.
    11-06-2017 02:19 PM
    Yep I remember that problem. I actually got that fixed one time. Can't remember how but I had to work with a tier two or three tech to do so.
    Oh nice. I gave up. Thankfully I don't get too many voicemails these days.
    11-06-2017 02:36 PM
    Originally posted by PuckCowboy
    (Sorry for the repost, but I think my question got lost in the last SMS convo. Here it is again:)

Out of curiosity, is there a text messaging app in the Windows Store that has GIF support baked in or links to a GIF datatbase? As far as I'm aware it's not on the regular messenger app. Any and all help with this would be truly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
    I am able to attach GIF in the SMS app on my Icon. I usually download the GIF to my device or to my Onedrive and then attach it. Not all GIF's will attach though. Not sure of why that is.
    11-06-2017 02:44 PM
375 ... 12131415