A New Verizon version of the HP Elite X3 is coming in Mid-October

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I am really looking forward to this, but I have to admit I remain highly skeptical as the X3 is now becoming out of date and it continues to be insisted that it isn't coming by everyone I talk to. Hopefully your source is more in the know.

I hope he is too. Although to be fair, I would say that he's not just my source, but a source that anyone has access to by clicking the link to Verizon's X3 Elite webpage on their Open Development site here:

https://opendevelopment.verizonwirel...se/device/4916

Interestingly enough, I just happened to check the contact info again, and it looks like the HP Sales Rep has changed on the page above to someone new. I've gone ahead and sent him an email right now too in the hopes that maybe he can either confirm, or provide more detailed information on a release date.

As for hardware, I'd argue that (minus the camera), the X3's specs still stand toe to toe with many of the top end phones on the market with regards to features and build quality. Not to mention year old hardware wouldn't phase me seeing as I've been using my ATIV SE for 4 years now, haha! Again, if there is truly a Verizon "version" coming, it's possible this new variant might have some bumped up specs. The fact the Verizon X3 Open Source page doesn't list any details on cpu, memory, storage space or camera could be a hint this is NOT just the current X3 internals with the CDMA radios turned on. Only time will tell...

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
My suspicion on the release date is HP is trying to stay out of the yearly Apple vs. Samsung fight. But that's just my personal take on it.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Possibly. I think you are half right. The X3 for Verizon will not be marketed at consumers, it is for business enterprise and only going to be offered directly through HP.com (and apparently the Microsoft Store.)

That said, if Verizon is concentrating it's roll out efforts (front and back end) on the new Pixel 2 rollout which will be early October (which was also a carrier exclusive for them last year), then HP may be waiting on Verizon to get all of their other "priorities" taken care of in addition to the recent release and announcements of the Note 8 & iPhone 8. Of course this is all speculation.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE FROM HP - 9/20/17:

I reached out to the "new" HP Rep listed on the Verizon Elite X3 openDev page today (Kevin McCutchan) to get an update on the original release date for the Verizon Elite X3. I just recieved an email from him and this was his exact email response, word-for-word:

"Thanks for reaching out. The Verizon version Elite x3 received non-stock approval from Verizon a few weeks ago. We are beginning factory production now, and expect it will be available in Mid- October. The Elite x3 that has been in market for the last several months is a GSM based product so it is not compatible with the Verizon network. Any other questions you may have, please let me know.

Kevin McCutchan."

There you have it. The new Verizon "version" of the X3 is in production and they are shooting for a mid-October release. So this is going to be a different version of the phone being specifically manufactured for use on Verizon. I sent a reply to Kevin asking him if he had info on whether any of the CPU, memory, storage, or camera specs would be changed or upgraded with Verizon's "version" of the Elite X3. I will post here with an update if and when he gets back to me. Hopefully he is able to share that info either way.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
UPDATE FROM HP - 9/20/17:

I reached out to the "new" HP Rep listed on the Verizon Elite X3 openDev page today (Kevin McCutchan) to get an update on the original release date for the Verizon Elite X3. I just recieved an email from him and this was his exact email response, word-for-word:

"Thanks for reaching out. The Verizon version Elite x3 received non-stock approval from Verizon a few weeks ago. We are beginning factory production now, and expect it will be available in Mid- October. The Elite x3 that has been in market for the last several months is a GSM based product so it is not compatible with the Verizon network. Any other questions you may have, please let me know.

Kevin McCutchan."

There you have it. The new Verizon "version" of the X3 is in production and they are shooting for a mid-October release. So this is going to be a completely new phone being manufactured for use on Verizon. I sent a reply to Kevin asking him if he had any info on whether any of the CPU, memory, storage, or camera specs would be changed or upgraded with Verizon's "version" of the Elite X3. I will post here with an update if and when he gets back to me. Hopefully he is able to share that info either way.

Bring it!

ramtwins25

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: A New Verizon version of the HP Elite X3 is coming in Mid-September

As far as I've learned in my research, the current model currently can NOT be added to the Verizon network.

Again, the HP Sales rep on the Verizon page said there is a Verizon "version" being released on HP.com very soon. Hopefully within the next week or so. I will reach out to him again on Monday next week.

I just spoke with an HP rep on their enterprise sales side. He told me that there is NO "NEW" phone, but rather the same existing phone (US Version only) that has been updated to work on Verizon's network. He advised me that any existing X3's with the update should connect to the Verizon network and that all I would need to do is take the phone into a Verizon store, and advise that I wanted to connect the device. Now, at the time of this post I do not have an X3 to test this, but I did about a month ago and it did not work (I didn't actually go in to a store either). So sounds like same device just updated software. Seems to be two different stories being told; New Device and Existing Device with software update.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

I just spoke with an HP rep on their enterprise sales side. He told me that there is NO "NEW" phone, but rather the same existing phone (US Version only) that has been updated to work on Verizon's network. He advised me that any existing X3's with the update should connect to the Verizon network and that all I would need to do is take the phone into a Verizon store, and advise that I wanted to connect the device. Now, at the time of this post I do not have an X3 to test this, but I did about a month ago and it did not work (I didn't actually go in to a store either). So sounds like same device just updated software. Seems to be two different stories being told; New Device and Existing Device with software update.

Very interesting. Thanks for the update @ramtwins25. I spoke with a couple HP Enterprise sales reps a few weeks back who mentioned the same thing.

However, as I mentioned from my last update, the HP representative who reached out to me on Wednesday is the one who is actually listed as the contact on Verizon's HP Elite X3 web page. His exact words were:

Kevin McCutchan."

This is the second rep (who was listed on that specific page mentioned and linked to above) who has told me there is a Verizon specific "version" being released and this latest rep further went into detail saying they are "beginning factory production" of it. Furthermore, he even goes on to say the current model is a "GSM based product so it is not compatible with the Verizon network." Seems odd he would emphasize those two things. For those reasons alone I won't buy anything until this Verizon "device" is released. His verbiage seems pretty specific and he is the rep listed on the device page.

The other thing which has been linked to on this thread and others, is that HP submitted for WiFi and Bluetooth certifications on an X3 device with a new model number (F606v) different from the original (F606). Seems strange to create a whole new model number if the plan is just to release firmware to open up the CDMA radios. It's not like Verizon is selling this directly anyways. I'm not saying the ultimate goal won't be to allow old X3's on to the Verizon network, but maybe there is/was an issue going this route, at least for now?

As more of a speculative note, I emailed the rep back since he said I could ask him anything. I asked if there was anything different with the new Verizon "version" hardware wise or if it was the same phone. No answer for two days now. He was pretty quick on my first email. I asked the first Elite X3 rep who told me of the new "version" the same thing in my follow-up email and he never answered me at all (after he got back to me in one day the first time) and it's been over two weeks now.

If I were a betting man, silence points towards "possible" internal tweaks other than CDMA radios that they aren't allowed to speak about yet. Many of the major specs are also missing from Verizon's X3 page. Again, just speculation, but there seems to be more going on than meets the eye.

brian_m85

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site

While waiting for the Verizon HP Elite x3, my partner decided it would save us money to leave Verizon. We haven't switched yet but I have a phone on its way.

My partner is weary of me going to a Verizon store to try to get it to work since we are just going to leave in a few days... just in case they mess something up.

I will install updates and let you guys know if the Verizon sim works.

Last edited:

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE from HP (9/25/2017):

The HP Sales Rep on Verizon's HP Elite X3 page, Kevin McCutchan, just sent me an email responding to my question on whether Verizon's Elite X3 would have any other changes outside of the new radios. His exact word-for-word response:

"They are very similar, same memory config, same processor, the only real difference is CDMA radio and support for Verizon bands, and VOLTE.

Kevin McCutchan."

So it looks like no major specification upgrades (although his use of the words "very similar" rather than saying "exactly the same" has me thinking a bit.) Maybe just reading into it too much? Any way, we shall hopefully see in a few weeks!

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE (#2) from HP 9/25/17:

The HP rep on Verizon's HP Elite X3 page, Kevin, emailed me back again and said he is going to notify me the day the new Elite X3 for Verizon is available. He said to "Watch for a note in the next couple of weeks."

I will post here once he contacts me, unless someone notices it before then (or hears any different news.)

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the updates. Like said before it's only a matter of time. I hope many Windows mobile users currently on VZ are able to grab a deal somehow on this model once available. Are you pretty much asking your source also how you might be the first to purchase this model? I'm curious if it will be offered off their site only at first or exclusively.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the updates. Like said before it's only a matter of time. I hope many Windows mobile users currently on VZ are able to grab a deal somehow on this model once available. Are you pretty much asking your source also how you might be the first to purchase this model? I'm curious if it will be offered off their site only at first or exclusively.

No problem! Great question on the exclusivity thing. As per the response of the original rep, he said it would be hitting HP.com and Microsoft Store first. My guess is it would definitely hit HP.com first.

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Just found this thread. Logged into the forums solely to get subscribed to this thread. Tempted to email Kevin just to tell him he is a hero of the people.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Just found this thread. Logged into the forums solely to get subscribed to this thread. Tempted to email Kevin just to tell him he is a hero of the people.

Nice, welcome aboard!

Ha, ha! I don't think there is anything wrong with a complimentary email to Kevin. If anything, it will probably make him happy to know there is indeed demand for this phone on Verizon even outside of the enterprise realm. He seems like a nice guy via email :)

(P.S. Love your handle!)

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Nice, welcome aboard!

Ha, ha! I don't think there is anything wrong with a complimentary email to Kevin. If anything, it will probably make him happy to know there is indeed demand for this phone on Verizon even outside of the enterprise realm. He seems like a nice guy via email :)

(P.S. Love your handle!)

Thanks! I did in fact communicate with Kevin, and he confirmed everything you said, which is nice. It feels *so official* for something the actual Windows Central blog hasn't talked about in months.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I did in fact communicate with Kevin, and he confirmed everything you said, which is nice. It feels *so official* for something the actual Windows Central blog hasn't talked about in months.

No problem! I'm happy to hear Kevin is also confirming it with others as well (Helps confirm I'm not going crazy, haha.)

I too find it strange Windows Central has been so silent about this. They seem to puke out stories about the best iPhones and Android phones to switch to on a daily basis, but when the largest provider in the US is about to release another newer Windows Phone, nothing but silence!

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I think Windows Central has accepted defeat on the topic. Even Jason "I will single-handedly convince everyone Windows Mobile is still a thing" Ward says he'd buy a Galaxy Note 8 if he could afford one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb