A New Verizon version of the HP Elite X3 is coming in Mid-October

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I posted this news within the other "Verizon Hates Us" thread, but just to make it known to all not following that thread I wanted to give it it's own thread.

Per the link: https://opendevelopment.verizonwireless.com/device-showcase/device/4916

Verizon is showing the Elite X3 as a device that will be allowed on their network.

I reached out to the HP Rep listed on the Verizon page to inquire about whether there was a new version coming or if the existing X3 could be added to Verizon, and he emailed me back with these exact words:

"The Verizon version of the Elite x3 is not currently available. It should be listed on HP.com in mid-September."

There you have it! Fingers crossed it is up on HP in about 3 weeks!

Last edited:

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: A New Verizon version of the HP Elite X3 is coming in Mid-September

I posted this news within the other "Verizon Hates Us" thread, but just to make it known to all not following that thread I wanted to give it it's own thread.

Per the link: https://opendevelopment.verizonwireless.com/device-showcase/device/4916

Verizon is showing the Elite X3 as a device that will be allowed on their network.

I reached out to the HP Rep listed on the Verizon page to inquire about whether there was a new version coming or if the existing X3 could be added to Verizon, and he emailed me back with these exact words:

"The Verizon version of the Elite x3 is not currently available. It should be listed on HP.com in mid-September."

Thanks for posting this separately as it really is tremendous news !!!

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Great news! Is it still going to be running W10M or Android?

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site

At the time the 950 came out and it wasn't on Verizon I thought so what (even though I was on Verizon). Now, being a little older and wiser, I think MS not spending the money to get the 950 certified was just another nail in W10m coffin. The x3 getting on Verizon will not save W10m but, if a few major corps make the switch to the Elite who knows . . .

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site

At the time the 950 came out and it wasn't on Verizon I thought so what (even though I was on Verizon). Now, being a little older and wiser, I think MS not spending the money to get the 950 certified was just another nail in W10m coffin. The x3 getting on Verizon will not save W10m but, if a few major corps make the switch to the Elite who knows . . .

From the podcast here at WC a few weeks back, I think it was Daniel that revealed when MS did their layoffs they let go all of their programmers that could write drivers for CDMA. The lack of a Verizon 950 was not due to lack of certification supposedly.

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site

Is it just me, but considering that we "Windows Phone on Verizon" users have been waiting for for a year for the HP Elite x3 "coming to Verizon" ... that there are ZERO PRESS articles or reporting?

We had to do all of the digging but, it's like, NOT WORTHY NEWS ANYMORE ???

Isn't this BIG NEWS? Not perhaps a "previous gen hardware" ... but, that HP is actually doing what Microsoft could NOT make happen!

HP's sales and marketing for the Elite x3 is AWESOME! Yes, It's for "BUSINESS PEOPLE" and BYOD and I can hardly wait for "mid-September"!

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

Where did they specify that? Everything I have been reading is that HP is readying an Android version of the X3

Keith, did you click the link at the very top of this thread? You're proof is right there. Here it is again just in case:

https://opendevelopment.verizonwireless.com/device-showcase/device/4916

Further confirmation it is a Windows 10 phone is right here in the Bluetooth certification documents. Note the Verizon version and it says Windows 10 Mobile:

https://www.bluetooth.org/tpg/QLI_viewQDL.cfm?qid=31314

In addition, I spoke with an Elite X3 Premiere Support representative whom is actually helping to work with Verizon to get the phone working on their network. He literally said one of the things they are waiting on is for Verizon to complete their Windows 10 mobile server on their backend. He also went on to say HP is going to be releasing a new Windows Phone model later this year or early next year with the possibility of an Android handset as well.

Hope that helps!

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Keith, did you click the link at the very top of this thread? You're proof is right there. Here it is again just in case:

https://opendevelopment.verizonwireless.com/device-showcase/device/4916

Further confirmation it is a Windows 10 phone is right here in the Bluetooth certification documents. Note the Verizon version and it says Windows 10 Mobile:

https://www.bluetooth.org/tpg/QLI_viewQDL.cfm?qid=31314

In addition, I spoke with an Elite X3 Premiere Support representative whom is actually helping to work with Verizon to get the phone working on their network. He literally said one of the things they are waiting on is for Verizon to complete their Windows 10 mobile server on their backend. He also went on to say HP is going to be releasing a new Windows Phone model later this year or early next year with the possibility of an Android handset as well.

Hope that helps!

Excellent! Thank you :)

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

UPDATE (9/8/17): To my surprise, the Verizon Wireless Tech Support rep I spoke to two weeks ago actually gave me a call back to follow-up on my inquiry about the HP Elite X3 posted on their Open Development site and compatibility on the Verizon Wireless network.

To summarize, she first updated me that the HP Elite X3 was officially added to their internal open development list of phones that are compatible with the Verizon Wireless network. She also confirmed that the X3 is indeed in their billing system as a compatible device on their network (which she had told me 2 weeks ago).

After doing more research on her end, she said the X3 is not a phone that would be sold by Verizon directly, but rather directly through HP. She said from what others had told her at Verizon, HP was waiting on the FCC to officially certify the CDMA radios, so they could activate them for use on the network. When I mentioned the mid-September date for release given to me by the HP rep from Verizon's oen dev page, she said that may be what HP is waiting on. I know HP submitted the X3 for certification, but I'm unaware if the phone has technically received official certification yet.

For what it's worth, the rep also stated there were several other people via their forums and via phone inquiring abut the device. She said there seemed to be quite a bit of excitement from people about being able to use the phone on the network, especially enterprise.

So there you have it. My fingers are still crossed we hear something next week, or early the following week.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

As far as I've learned in my research, the current model currently can NOT be added to the Verizon network.

Again, the HP Sales rep on the Verizon page said there is a Verizon "version" being released on HP.com very soon. Hopefully within the next week or so. I will reach out to him again on Monday next week.

JM_Thomas

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

Hot dog!! I was hoping for this since it was first released. Hopefully it will be the updated X3 unit they had on display earlier this year that I think was at MWC2017. Maybe a bump to 6Gb RAM/128Gb Storage? A person can wish.

I made the jump to an LG V20 last fall due to my ATIV SE not being able to get more Win10 updates. Never have liked Android on phones after getting my ATIV SE. Android is a battery hog and too twitchy.

If this is a done deal, will be saving my end of year bonus to pick up an X3 in January. I miss Win10 Mobile, and no, the so called "app gap" means nothing to me. I am adult who needs my phone for work first, personal second.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

Hot dog!! I was hoping for this since it was first released. Hopefully it will be the updated X3 unit they had on display earlier this year that I think was at MWC2017. Maybe a bump to 6Gb RAM/128Gb Storage? A person can wish.

I made the jump to an LG V20 last fall due to my ATIV SE not being able to get more Win10 updates. Never have liked Android on phones after getting my ATIV SE. Android is a battery hog and too twitchy.

If this is a done deal, will be saving my end of year bonus to pick up an X3 in January. I miss Win10 Mobile, and no, the so called "app gap" means nothing to me. I am adult who needs my phone for work first, personal second.

You and me both JM_Thomas. For me there is no App Gap. I use Win10 mobile for productivity and seamless connectivity with MS services, especially email, Cortana, and the Bluetooth interruption of texts, etc. I too have an ATIV SE Im still using and have tried to temporarily jump ship to an LG G6 and Nexis 6P. Both were nice, but I just couldn't stand Android and never made the move officially. I've debated moving to AT&T for an X3 or 950 XL, but I'm on a family plan where I pay in virtually nothing for my line. Not to mention the service is much better where I'm at.

As far as I know, it's a done deal, just waiting on HP to release the "Verizon version" soon. I will update once I learn any more.

Last edited:

brian_m85

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site

I have been checking just about everyday for any news on the HP Elite since maybe late June.

I hope we hear something soon.

I am running the Lumia 735 which is working decently for me. I recently got a lighter used Band 2 to compliment it and loving the combination.

Now I want something with more performance and the Creators update. Not to mention the lap dock would be perfect for work.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE FROM HP - 9/18/17:

I reached back out to the HP Rep listed on the Verizon page today to get an update on his original release date estimate of mid-September for the Verizon Elite X3. His exact email response was:

"I’m hearing there’s a delay and availability will be middle of October. Microsoft Stores and HP.com will probably be the soonest. Apologies for the miscommunication on timing."

Not the news I wanted to hear, but not the worst. Seeing it's Verizon, I'm also not surprised. Looks like it's another 3 weeks out. Wonder if they are still waiting on CDMA certification? Again, since this is going to be a Verizon specific version, I'm hoping maybe an internal spec or two gets bumped up.

(Also, before anyone asks, I made sure to reference in my follow-up this was indeed a Win 10 Mobile device as is listed on the Verizon OpenDev page.)

Last edited:

JM_Thomas

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE FROM HP - 9/18/17:

I reached back out to the HP Rep listed on the Verizon page today to get an update on his original release date estimate of mid-September for the Verizon Elite X3. His exact email response was:

"I’m hearing there’s a delay and availability will be middle of October. Microsoft Stores and HP.com will probably be the soonest. Apologies for the miscommunication on timing."

Not the news I wanted to hear, but not the worst. Seeing it's Verizon, I'm also not surprised. Looks like it's another 3 weeks out. Wonder if they are still waiting on CDMA certification? Again, since this is going to be a Verizon specific version, I'm hoping maybe an internal spec or two got bumped.

(Also, before anyone asked, I made sure to reference in my follow-up this was indeed a Win 10 Mobile device as is listed on the Verizon OpenDev page.)

Well, another 3 weeks isn't the end of the world, especially since we haven't had a higher end Windows phone since the ATIV SE 3+ years ago. I have considered the Lumia 735 as a stop-gap second phone just to get back into the Windows 10 ecosystem, but am really reluctent to drop the even the $125 for basically a low-spec phone, even if I do like it's looks. Just have to wonder how it handles Win10M.

I even took the time to reset my ATIV SE back to 8.1 to try and follow your upgrade thread PuckCowboy. I have tried it 5 times and can make it to the final 8.1 build. It just won't pick up the Win10 Insider Build, even after waiting 2 days for the MS upgrade system to cycle itself through.

Guess it is done on that route. Will either go to the X3 or maybe fall back to the 735.

Winfan9292

Aug 30, 2017
Visit site
I am really looking forward to this, but I have to admit I remain highly skeptical as the X3 is now becoming out of date and it continues to be insisted that it isn't coming by everyone I talk to. Hopefully your source is more in the know.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I am really looking forward to this, but I have to admit I remain highly skeptical as the X3 is now becoming out of date and it continues to be insisted that it isn't coming by everyone I talk to. Hopefully your source is more in the know.

The hardware is a little of of date, the software is the latest. A follow photographer told me once (when we were discussing getting the latest Nikon camera) "if my camera is taking great pictures today it'll still be taking great pictures tomorrow".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99