A New Verizon version of the HP Elite X3 is coming in Mid-October

sanchezursua

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Its true! The Verizon version Elite x3 should be available in mid- October (around the 15th but no date in stone yet). Our Primary distribution partner will be Microsoft and you should be able to purchase via the store at Microsoft.com or in Microsoft store. Any other questions, Let me know.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Its true! The Verizon version Elite x3 should be available in mid- October (around the 15th but no date in stone yet). Our Primary distribution partner will be Microsoft and you should be able to purchase via the store at Microsoft.com or in Microsoft store. Any other questions, Let me know.

This Verizon version will carry a FW that differs from the GSM Elite X3 correct? Meaning that FW opens the CDMA radios and enables (or disables) the appropriate LTE bands for that model.

Or, is the radio being different done at the factory before put out in production? I am asking this becuase users who have a current X3 and might have left VZ to own one, could potentially want to move back to VZ (I had owned an X3 and did leave VZ). To do so they need to purchase a new Verizon version model?

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Nate, an above response from Kevin at HP seems to indicate the radio is, at bare minimum, configured differently, if not altogether a different chip or antenna configuration. I do not think there is any chance of a GSM Elite x3 being supported on Verizon, and it's likely Verizon would not activate it, because it won't be the same model number (-F606) as the Verizon model (-F606V).

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

Hey Sanchezursua! Welcome to the thread and thank you for the confirmation on the HP Elite X3 for Verizon in Mid-October. The HP rep I spoke with on Verizon's Elite X3 OpenDev webpage, said that outside of the CDMA radios, Verizon bands, and VOLTE, the Verizon "version" of the X3 will be "similar" to it's GSM brother.

I was curious if you could go into more detail on "similar". Are there any other internal tweaks, like more storage or camera upgrade, that you might be able to share with us? Or will both models be exactly the same physically and internally minus the radios?

Thank you in advance!

brian_m85

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
Re: A New Verizon version of the HP Elite X3 is coming in Mid-September

After putting a valid Verizon sim it looks like the GSM version still doesn't work.

I hope this comes to Verizon. It's a sweet device.

joanzen

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
It's interesting that the phone will apparently not be available on hp.com. I asked about that because I'd like to use my employee discount. Kevin said it would not be available there and said I should check Microsoft.com. In any event, I can't wait to get one of these. The battery of my Icon is on life support...

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
It would be interesting to know the difference between the GMA models and the Verizon. seems there would have to be hardware differences or you could use a recovery image to flash the firmware ether way. Don't sound like that will be possible. Thanks for the thread. very interesting.

Auburnkid2597

Aug 24, 2017
Visit site
I've got a GSM version at home collecting dust since I switch to Verizon. I plan on buying the CDMA version anyway, so I'll happily use my GSM as a guinea pig and see if it can be flashed with the new firmware. what's the worst thing I can do? brick it? </sarcasm>

ramtwins25

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Spent some time today with HP Support, Tier 3. I had a quick but informative conversation with the agent who stated he was on the HP Elite x3 team supporting Verizon (it was Verizon who xfered me there). He stated that there are some devices out there that already work on Verizon: "Sheree at 1:24:07 PM
We have the HP Elite x3 (2CF75UT) online that is compatible with Verizon already." He said existing ones would not work not because of hardware "stated also that existing models had all of the radios needed to work on CDMA" but because Verizon later decided only to allow specific IMEI (newly built devices) and higher to work on their network. Stated the only way an existing one would work was to get verizon to add the imei to an accepted list.

To go a step further, I logged in to my HP distro account and found this in the system as already available:
elite x3.jpg

Also, in the training documents, this version has a boot screen specific to Verizon, so you don't get the HP logo on boot up. Lastly, It appears this one is single sim, not dual sim like before.

Attachments

• X3.bmp
    847.4 KB · Views: 20

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Spent some time today with HP Support, Tier 3. I had a quick but informative conversation with the agent who stated he was on the HP Elite x3 team supporting Verizon (it was Verizon who xfered me there). He stated that there are some devices out there that already work on Verizon: "Sheree at 1:24:07 PM
We have the HP Elite x3 (2CF75UT) online that is compatible with Verizon already." He said existing ones would not work not because of hardware "stated also that existing models had all of the radios needed to work on CDMA" but because Verizon later decided only to allow specific IMEI (newly built devices) and higher to work on their network. Stated the only way an existing one would work was to get verizon to add the imei to an accepted list.

To go a step further, I logged in to my HP distro account and found this in the system as already available:
View attachment 137595

Also, in the training documents, this version has a boot screen specific to Verizon, so you don't get the HP logo on boot up. Lastly, It appears this one is single sim, not dual sim like before.

Great info RamTwins25! Very jealous you already have access to the phone in your account! I'm chomping at the bit to order one of these, so mid-October can't come soon enough! I think someone else on this board converted the single sim to a dula sim with a Micro SD card somehow (physically).

Anyway, do keep us all posted if you hear any more!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

View attachment 137595

I pretty much figured it would be the single sim. It is also a custom FFU with Verizon baked in fw for their towers and network. Also it makes perfect sense from a sales perspective if the devices are newer models with imei's from them and newer to get accepted on their network.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
@ramtwins25 You must use one of the distributors I use. I recognized the website format. Here's mine (exactly the same):

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 8.27.13 PM.png

And this one, from another distributor, shows availability on October 10, 2017. However, I know from experience that the ETA dates are often an educated guess.

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 8.29.24 PM.png

ramtwins25

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
@ramtwins25 You must use one of the distributors I use. I recognized the website format. Here's mine (exactly the same):

View attachment 137596

And this one, from another distributor, shows availability on October 10, 2017. However, I know from experience that the ETA dates are often an educated guess.

View attachment 137597

Yep, I probably am. Lol. I'll see if anything ships out next week and hopefully have a working model in my hands. I'm also told there will be a few pre-installed apps from Verizon on the device for business customers so still digging in to what those might be.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
It's interesting that the phone will apparently not be available on hp.com. I asked about that because I'd like to use my employee discount. Kevin said it would not be available there and said I should check Microsoft.com. In any event, I can't wait to get one of these. The battery of my Icon is on life support...

Interesting Kevin told you that because he initially told me that it would be available on HP.com, although it may be available first with the Microsoft Store online.

I also Googled "Verizon HP Elite X3" and a few new news stories popped up talking about some of the latest rumors that the phone will be available mid-Octobers as well. However, the interesting tidbit they all listed was that Verizon would be selling it online. I've heard that from no one, and even the Verizon technical rep I spoke to said this would not be sold by Verizon, but rather by HP directly.

In any event, I'm just happy it's coming soon!

Thanks again for sharing all the great info everyone! Please do keep it coming as soon as you learn more.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss