A New Verizon version of the HP Elite X3 is coming in Mid-October

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So I think I will be safe with an Elite X3 for as long as it hangs tough on W10M.

Yeah I know what you mean. If I were wavering (I'm not anymore), I would have to think about where W10M is going to be in two years. It appears that more and more apps and services will be leaving, if the recent trends continue anyway. Even if a W10M device is fine now, what will it be like in 2019? There's a 99.9% chance it won't improve, and about that high of a chance it will be less capable than it is today.

That is what would concern me, much more than its current state.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Yeah I know what you mean. If I were wavering (I'm not anymore), I would have to think about where W10M is going to be in two years. It appears that more and more apps and services will be leaving, if the recent trends continue anyway. Even if a W10M device is fine now, what will it be like in 2019? There's a 99.9% chance it won't improve, and about that high of a chance it will be less capable than it is today.

That is what would concern me, much more than its current state.

That is what happened to WebOS. Even though i am not an app guy, even the most basic apps stopped working forcing me to switch. It will be awhile still before that happens to W10m but you can at least bet nothing new will be coming along.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
That is what happened to WebOS. Even though i am not an app guy, even the most basic apps stopped working forcing me to switch. It will be awhile still before that happens to W10m but you can at least bet nothing new will be coming along.

I would hazard to guess that UWP apps will survive on mobile as long as Windows S is a thing since it's totally dependent on them. If I'm right, W10M might be kicking for a few more years as long as the hardware holds up.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I would point out to those wavering that there is no amount of Microsoft software support that can cover up that Android is about as secure as Windows XP, and comes with malware preinstalled.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I would point out to those wavering that there is no amount of Microsoft software support that can cover up that Android is about as secure as Windows XP, and comes with malware preinstalled.

Yeah, i started listening to Android Central podcast and the first one i listened too they talked for a long while about the security problems with Android and the long wait for security patching. (along with updates)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey, you sound like u/puppy2016 over on r/windowsphone!

joanzen

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
We all sound like folks who are just desperately hanging on for dear life! I truly don't want to switch to Android/iOS either. If I could pop out the battery in my Icon (which now has a battery-life measured in minutes - maybe an exaggeration, but not much of one) and put in a new one, I'd be fine keeping it. I've really liked this phone. The app gap hasn't been a problem for me, but if Uber were to drop theirs, I'd have to go elsewhere. In any event, I'm going to pick up the Elite x3 on Verizon and see what happens... I wish they'd sell just the phone and not bundled with the dock, like on shopping.hp.com; I don't really care about the dock one bit.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips everybody. I checked with Elite support about the phone part numbers (1PK92AA#ABA and 1PK93AA#ABA) They said the difference they saw in the two was that 1PK93AA#ABA came with earbuds/headset of some sort. They also verified that the HP Product code above is the model compatible with VZW.

I personally just went ahead and placed an order for this one. If it pops up cheaper within the next 3 weeks or so, which might happen, I can always return it and go with the cheaper one.

bjones0821

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I may be wrong, but I was just looking at the Microsoft store page and noticed that the Elite X3 title has been updated to:

HP Elite x3 Bundle - GSM Unlocked

I don't believe it included the "GSM Unlocked" in the title before, only the bullet point in the details. This seems to be in preparation for having 2 different models on the store, one being GSM, the other obviously CDMA. The price still shows 599.00 U.S. for the bundle.

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I expect the Verizon model to list at $699. It's not uncommon for the Verizon model of a phone to cost more to begin with, and $699 is the MSRP according to the other distributor sites.

@Nate, let us know what happens, ordering from Provantage is my backup plan.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I may be wrong, but I was just looking at the Microsoft store page and noticed that the Elite X3 title has been updated to:

HP Elite x3 Bundle - GSM Unlocked

I don't believe it included the "GSM Unlocked" in the title before, only the bullet point in the details. This seems to be in preparation for having 2 different models on the store, one being GSM, the other obviously CDMA. The price still shows 599.00 U.S. for the bundle.

Good eye! I actually noticed that too last night! I also noticed the Incipio case is back in stock for it.

Seems like an day now.

My only hesitation is $700+ after tax (closer to $800 after some accessories) is going to be a big pill to swallow for a 1-year old model phone whose OS has a concrete end-of-life is 2019. Yes there will be maintenance updates from MS and firmware updates from HP to keep things stable and smooth, but no new features. I also don't use many apps at all, but I just hope the main ones I'm using don't get pulled or start going wonky because they probably won't be getting many updates at this point either, if any at all. Ultimately I'd still like to buy one, but a $500 (or less) price point would be easier to justify given the known state and future of W10m at this exact moment.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Sure. I will keep this thread posted on how this goes. It should only be the phone and the power adapter from what I know and I was reluctant for what I am getting to buy it at that price. Will see how it goes. I am in the same boat with this ICON, being on its last leg. I will say though that this thing has taken more beatings then any of my phones, and it only has frame dents and scratches to show for that. No cracks and no hardware damage. Good built Nokia.

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I got my Icon used for $99 on Groupon, I think. Came with scratches. :/ But has held up insanely well, better than any of my bought-new Android devices.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Same here. Used off swappa for like 40.
I take that back...30 bucks but with no charger or anything. Just the phone. Has worked fine since I got it.

Edit: Got it on the latest W10M build too.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I got my Icon used for $99 on Groupon, I think. Came with scratches. :/ But has held up insanely well, better than any of my bought-new Android devices.

I'm still on my ATIV SE using W10m via a hacked registry. It got stuck on the 15063.251 OS build back in May however. It's plugging along, but it's on it's last legs as I've been having some very annoying reboot issues of late, bluetooth issues as well, in addition to my GPS literally not working for most of this year.

I'm ready to move on. If for some reason the Elite X3 doesn't work out for me, I'm going to bite the bullet and get a Pixel :(

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Wow, you have your ATIV on a newer version than I have my Icon. I didn't want to screw with it or go Insider (Security being my priority, I'd rather have a current-patch 14393 than a hacky 15063.)

The ATIV is actually the phone I bought new, but ended up back on Android for a while after a poor attempt to force it onto 8.1 before they supported it. (Which worked, but left it with an awfully buggy touchscreen.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb