A New Verizon version of the HP Elite X3 is coming in Mid-October

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
WOW! Crazy. So interesting how many of us have stuck it out all this time with almost 4 year old phones now. Its the longest Ive probably kept any piece of technology, haha!

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Well, a lot of people still even interested in the platform fall in that boat due to lack of options at this point. Everyone else has jumped ship.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
That is why I like Window 10 Mobile and Windows Phones in general. I can buy a 4 yr old phone at almost nothing and it runs the latest software with updates. On top of that they are quite configurable via the Registry access we have to them and other tools that can help you make it a better device for you. If iOS was like this I would move to them if W10M and the X3 do not work out. But the only path left would be Android.

Edit: Example--When I get an X3 I enable the LED notifications, disable the Camera shutter sound, and enable living images. They are simple missing features that the phone is capable of and make it that much more enjoyable.

I plan to build a tutorial/guide on how to enable the LED notifications soon so that others who want can use it.

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I would easily go iOS before any Android device. From a security and privacy standpoint, there's just no competition. I do loathe iOS though.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
These phones outpace Android and no phone crashes like Ive seen with my pixel

I hear ya. I have used the Pixel XL and the more I try to familiarize myself back with Android the more I get turned away. Hardware is there, and responsiveness is top notch, but it lacks a fluid UI in my opinion, and lacks the ability to adapt to me. I read lots of emails and text messages. The simplicity of W10M helps me to do that efficiently and effectively. I suppose on Android I could get use to it being different, but why do that if W10M is still breathing. If Windows on phones/mobile ever disappears I realize now I might find myself using iOS/iPhones.

Fluffyrock8

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
Just created an account so I could join the conversation- I've been following this thread closely, thanks to everyone for all the useful info!

I'm on Verizon and I've been using the HTC One M8 for Windows as sold by Verizon for the last two years. It hasn't had a security/system update since March 2016 lol. So I am definitely on the edge of my seat, waiting for the Verizon version of the Elite x3.

Really excited that it's definitely happening! :D

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm very curious now as to what is going on. Yesterday (October 10, 2017) I checked the status of the Verizon X3 on our distributor that had an ETA of 10/10/2017. Here is what the live stock status looked like then:

X3 2017-10-10.jpg

Today, I checked the status of the same device. It looks like this:

X3 2017-10-11.jpg

Huh? Besides no stock status, the distributor price now says Not Available. It could be that since it was not available on the ETA date that the system cleared it, but that wouldn't explain the disappearance of the 10/24/2017 date for the other warehouse.

It was also interesting to note that they anticipated a quantity of 1 for each warehouse.

All this said, I don't put a lot of stock into the statuses here, especially for a new product anticipated. We'll wait and see!

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Huh? Besides no stock status, the distributor price now says Not Available. It could be that since it was not available on the ETA date that the system cleared it, but that wouldn't explain the disappearance of the 10/24/2017 date for the other warehouse.

It was also interesting to note that they anticipated a quantity of 1 for each warehouse.

All this said, I don't put a lot of stock into the statuses here, especially for a new product anticipated. We'll wait and see!

Hmmm, weird and interesting. Could be a few different things, although there seems to have been more news of late from MS (specifically Joe Belifore) signaling it's time to move forward with a different OS. (At least to the consumer community.) Combine that with all the new news about MS putting more effort into their Android / iOS apps and I wonder if HP has done an about face?

My initial thought is, I kind of doubt it seeing as HP probably spent a good chunk of time and money getting all the CDMA, WiFI, and Bluetooth certifications for the new Verizon variant. And the fact they were already "mid-production" on the Verizon X3 (per the sales reps terminology anyway). Maybe they are changing model numbers? Or maybe they are prepping for new database entries?

It's still showing on Verizon's open dev page and is available for purchase on a bunch of sites now (though that doesn't mean much either) The HP rep Kevin said mid-October around the 15th, so I won't reach out to him until next week for an update.

In the meantime, I got a REALLY good deal on a new Pixel XL 128GB I'm going to play with while I wait for the Elite X3. This way I can try out Androd and try to Microsoftize it and I also have a backup in case things go south with the Verizon launch.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
You kind of wonder if MS slide a little cash under the table to HP (to help cover the cost of the CDMA process). MS doesn't care of it **** on the consumer but they have to keep at least one OEM happy.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You kind of wonder if MS slide a little cash under the table to HP (to help cover the cost of the CDMA process).

I suspect that this happened before HP even agreed to produce the X3 in the first place. I would wager that HP was guaranteed not to lose on the deal.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You kind of wonder if MS slide a little cash under the table to HP (to help cover the cost of the CDMA process).

I suspect that this happened before HP even agreed to produce the original X3. HP was probably guaranteed not to lose on the deal.

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Note the language the HP rep used about the additional model of the x3: "On hold". My guess is HP is still very much interested in the phone market, and that the Elite x3 is a win for them entering it either way. The discussion of an Android-powered x3 has come up before, and I'd expect HP to inevitably introduce one for companies which are intended to use that platform. Going the way the HTC One 8whatever did and having a single hardware platform for both OSes would be a big win for HP down the line.

I suspect whatever's next is "on hold" because Microsoft's timeline for CShell/Core OS/Andromeda/whatevertheycallitnext got pushed back. Microsoft surely waited this long to "kill Windows Phone" because they were hoping for a smoother transition, but the timeline didn't work out.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Note the language the HP rep used about the additional model of the x3: "On hold".

Actually we don't have a clue what's going on, and I bet the HP reps don't either. I've worked with them enough to know that they're often guessing or making stuff up, or stating "facts" based on rumors. They must tell the customer something.

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Actually we don't have a clue what's going on, and I bet the HP reps don't either. I've worked with them enough to know that they're often guessing or making stuff up, or stating "facts" based on rumors. They must tell the customer something.

For what it's worth, my comment prefaced my thoughts multiple times with "my guess" and "I suspect". ;)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth, my comment prefaced my thoughts multiple times with "my guess" and "I suspect". ;)

Yes I know! I use similar disclaimers. My comment was basically deduced from all the posts where each one of us say what's happening, and we all have different ideas. But based on my experience, I wouldn't put much stock in what HP or Verizon or Microsoft reps say either. They're sometimes are basing their replies off of the same information we get.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6