A New Verizon version of the HP Elite X3 is coming in Mid-October

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I was never into webOS. Sorta before my time/movment to handhelds I guess...

Was the scenario really similar? Seems HP took a shot at it in the end with WebOS but we all know they are not a software company. Microsoft as we see is choosing to deactivate W10M soon and not support it, but becuase of reasons that seem out of their reach at this point (apps, OEM hw support, first party hw support?). Yet they want it this way, and to be left out of the battle of mobile phones for good...which I think is a good choice for them. But not for us who need W10M around... I think though if they get things right with WoA, and Windows Core OS, OEMs will decide to use it and we could see some interesting innovation come from that.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: A New Verizon version of the HP Elite X3 is coming in November

UPDATE from HP 10/19/17:

Kevin, the Elite X3 rep from HP just emailed me this evening. His exact words:

"I’ve been told Microsoft will make the Elite X3 available on 11/1 via their online store."

So now it's a technically a November release, but at least there is now a hard date.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Was the scenario really similar?
Worse. When HP bought Palm they said they were "doubling down" on webOS. The Touchpad was on the market for a whopping 49 days before the Apothekalypse. Since there were no takers for webOS, HP open sourced it and Open webOS was born. Then LG came in and performed an after-birth abortion and relegated the platform to TVs.

Yeah, it was worse.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: A New Verizon version of the HP Elite X3 is coming in November

UPDATE from HP 10/19/17:

Kevin, the Elite X3 rep from HP just emailed me this evening. His exact words:

"I’ve been told Microsoft will make the Elite X3 available on 11/1 via their online store."

So now it's a technically a November release, but at least there is now a hard date.

Hold fast to dreams - Langston Hughes

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It will could go at Full retail most likely then (799.00) like Kevin mentioned as well. That is when the sale ends for the current bundle (Oct 31). Yikes...

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
It will could go at Full retail most likely then (799.00) like Kevin mentioned as well. That is when the sale ends for the current bundle (Oct 31). Yikes...

That's what I expected. (I figured even if the GSM version was on promotion the Verizon model would not be.)

Zac Bowden

Windows Central Senior Editor
Staff member
Apr 25, 2016
windowscentral.com
To be fair, WC did report quite a bit about the McLaren. Maybe you didn't per se, but "we" did.

This one still has a chance albeit a small one.

There was always more to say about McLaren. There's nothing more to say about the Elite x3 on Verizon. It's coming, we've written about it coming. There's really nothing else to write. It being certified just adds to the fact that it's coming, which we've already written about.

Looks like HP is now telling you guys November. So first it was September, then it was mid-October, and now it's November. I guess you guys would have preferred if we had written an article every time it was "supposed" to be coming? We have decided to wait on accurate information from our HP representatives instead. I hope you can understand.

I want to be clear that we are just as excited as you guys about the Elite x3 launching on Verizon. We will be covering that story when it becomes available. I promise.

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Zac, all I'm going to say is the difference between "a physical object showed up on a Bluetooth SIG site so might be coming maybe" and "Verizon certified, coming to the Microsoft Store for consumers to buy, confirmed by HP" is a massive rift of a difference, regardless of the lack of a hard date. Very few people realized this was actually still a thing that was coming when they encountered my post on Reddit recently, or stumbled into this thread from other means.

If you believe that Windows Central has sufficiently communicated that "it's coming", you are incorrect.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
The HP being available on VZ is pretty big. Those users in the US have been scraping by on 3-4 year old hardware. Granted the 735 came out and the LG Lancet but none natively ran Windows 10 Mobile. I would say the more that we know about the Verizon Windows 10 Mobile Elite X3 the better.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
While I am a Windows/Lumia fan on Verizon, I am no longer looking forward to this. My hope was that the X3 would be a different model on Verizon, with an upgraded camera, and this does not appear to be the case (so far, the Icon's camera still destroys X3's). In addition, with microshaft's announcements about dropping Groove and offering minimal Windows 10 Mobile life support, it is tough to justify paying $600 for a new device.

Hate to say it but beggars cannot be chosers. From my perspective that is. I think the Elite X3 though is not as bad as the the IDOL 4s which is probably the last real consumer directed windows phone released. Its camera is a wash compared to the Elite X3 imo. We can see how quickly too that phone (IDOL 4s) depreciated unfortunately...Yet you have a point, in that Groove being trimmed back amongnst other things definitely does not really make Windows 10 Mobile any more consumer oriented. I personally am looking forward to it still, but more from a prosumer standpoint. I use email and corporate email a ton. The ease of use with one hand and Cortana are things I really find work well. I am planning to use continuum a bit more too. We left VZ a a couple years back trying to get cheaper rates and moved back recently since Unlimited data is hitting the scene everywhere. VZW is the only carrier I know of that has the best coverage for my state almost everywhere. I hope to soon be able to set the old Lumia 929 aside.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Note the language the HP rep used about the additional model of the x3: "On hold". My guess is HP is still very much interested in the phone market, and that the Elite x3 is a win for them entering it either way. The discussion of an Android-powered x3 has come up before, and I'd expect HP to inevitably introduce one for companies which are intended to use that platform. Going the way the HTC One 8whatever did and having a single hardware platform for both OSes would be a big win for HP down the line.

I suspect whatever's next is "on hold" because Microsoft's timeline for CShell/Core OS/Andromeda/whatevertheycallitnext got pushed back. Microsoft surely waited this long to "kill Windows Phone" because they were hoping for a smoother transition, but the timeline didn't work out.
I'd be very interested in an Android version of the X3. I love the look, feel, and size of that device.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Hate to say it but beggars cannot be chosers. From my perspective that is. I think the Elite X3 though is not as bad as the the IDOL 4s which is probably the last real consumer directed windows phone released. Its camera is a wash compared to the Elite X3 imo. We can see how quickly too that phone (IDOL 4s) depreciated unfortunately...Yet you have a point, in that Groove being trimmed back amongnst other things definitely does not really make Windows 10 Mobile any more consumer oriented. I personally am looking forward to it still, but more from a prosumer standpoint. I use email and corporate email a ton. The ease of use with one hand and Cortana are things I really find work well. I am planning to use continuum a bit more too. We left VZ a a couple years back trying to get cheaper rates and moved back recently since Unlimited data is hitting the scene everywhere. VZW is the only carrier I know of that has the best coverage for my state almost everywhere. I hope to soon be able to set the old Lumia 929 aside.
A halfway serviceable camera on the Idol and I would probably not have looked at the x3 or Primo. I think that seriously affected sales. Many of us read user reviews and they have been brutal towards the Idol specifically regarding the camera.

Pynchmail

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
Hate to say it but beggars cannot be chosers. From my perspective that is. I think the Elite X3 though is not as bad as the the IDOL 4s which is probably the last real consumer directed windows phone released. Its camera is a wash compared to the Elite X3 imo. We can see how quickly too that phone (IDOL 4s) depreciated unfortunately...Yet you have a point, in that Groove being trimmed back amongnst other things definitely does not really make Windows 10 Mobile any more consumer oriented. I personally am looking forward to it still, but more from a prosumer standpoint. I use email and corporate email a ton. The ease of use with one hand and Cortana are things I really find work well. I am planning to use continuum a bit more too.

Exactly right. Now that the Elite X3 is the only model available and worth upgrading to, we have to pay the asking price. In any case, the price is not unreasonable compared to new IPhone or Galaxy Note 8. In fact, I thought the Elite X3 price is attractive as long as we are comfortable with the status of Windows 10 Mobile. I know of someone who just bought two units at full retail price as he cannot get used to the office email app on Android or IPhone, and wanted to make sure he continues to be able to use Windows 10 Mobile for awhile more. Of course, he depends heavily on office email for his work and the price is no big deal for him.

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I have been on windows phone since 2002 and last round I left Verizon for AT&T so my wife and I could have 950 an 950 XL. Except for AT&T spoty coverage in some areas here It has been OK. I gave up and and got my wife an iphone 8 plus and my self a samsung 8 plus. I use continuum, now DEX and appreciate some of the things that MS did best and I am going through a little pain trying to make those things work in the Android world. Now that i have this new and exiting sometimes frustrating world there is no way I would pay big bucks for a windows phone with a camera that is not on par with our Lumias. I wrestled with this decision and had a wave of sadness when I ordered the S8. I think the X3 is a really cool device but only if I could get it at a steal on ebay. That wont happen for the Verizon version for some time. I guess I am really just over it. I am having fun figuring things out on my phone and my wives. I have and will continue to follow this thread with great interest and will not say anymore about you should jump ship. I was just sharing. God bless all my fellow windows phone folks, we have had some fun and been part of something special to me but most folks don't know about.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
If you believe that Windows Central has sufficiently communicated that "it's coming", you are incorrect.

With the current state of Windows "mobile" you can't expect Zac or anyone at WC to pump this up more. Everyone who cares/wants to know / will actually get one, already knows. Now it's just wait see it come out time.

They don't win anything by talking up Windows Mobile now.

I'm just quietly using my 950xl, fixing it's broken screen and now figuring out what's wrong with glance, double tap and the proximity sensor... Damn aftermarket parts. Debating whether to get a new X3 or another 950XL, I can't seem to decide how important the camera is to me

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
My camera value is "are serial numbers legible if I take a picture of a serial number with it".

Every phone I've tried since 2009 has qualified.

FreddyDavenport

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Official launch is November 1st. Pricing stays at $599. I work for Verizon Business Team. It will not be available through Verizon channels. Only through HP/Microsoft. I personally can't wait!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750