A New Verizon version of the HP Elite X3 is coming in Mid-October

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
The only way I'd even consider an Android again is if Microsoft's apps worked without Google Play Services. The fact that right now you need to have malware installed on your phone to use it is pretty much a dealbreaker.

Ya, I am playing around with trying not to use a google account at all...I used it initially to set up the phone then removed it from syncing afterwards. The play store is a mess. Chrome has popups all the time. The "there is an app for that" to me is not a good solution to run your OS. Why do I need to install app to backup sync my text messages or to be able to keep pop ups and adware from occurring. It almost makes me want to just move to an iPhone, if it came to it....sure Android might be a developers dream, but that comes at a price.

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I had hoped just installing apps and then disabling Play Services would work back in the day, but both Outlook and Skype are nonfunctional on Android without Google Location Services. Same with other random apps like Adobe Reader.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I suspect unless the device has a standalone GPS that the app can use an API for, then yes, it might be dead end in that regard.

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I suspect unless the device has a standalone GPS that the app can use an API for, then yes, it might be dead end in that regard.

Non-Google GPS APIs exist on every Android device, but Google has basically pushed all of the developers into using Google Location Services instead. Essentially, Android is open source in name, but completely proprietary in reality. Unless you allow Google to track you, most apps won't even load.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Non-Google GPS APIs exist on every Android device, but Google has basically pushed all of the developers into using Google Location Services instead. Essentially, Android is open source in name, but completely proprietary in reality. Unless you allow Google to track you, most apps won't even load.

Ok, I was not aware of that limitation. Thanks. I was aware though of the legitimacy of how the Google OS uses services and deems them open source.

JethroB

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
@Allen Whitehead
You mind stating the firmware revision number of your vzw elite x3? I'm curious about something...

I called HP Sales last week and was assured the Verizon version was available.
After directing me to promotional material that showed Verizon support I purchased it and sure enough it was the GSM version and I had to send it back for a refund. Kevin later told me SKU# 1PK92AA#ABA is the model that must be ordered.

evilkingteapot

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the delay, I checked this morning and our friends at Microsoft are supposed to add it to the store tomorrow.
Kevin

Waiting for this phone is like Waiting for Godot.

I want to apologize at the beginning for the whinefest that's about to commence. Before you guys roast me I want everyone to know that I appreciate and can relate to all of the excitement over Windows Phones, but I don't think I'm there anymore.

I've lurked on these forums for ages - waiting on the 950 for Verizon, the Surface Phone, the Cerulean phone, now waiting on the x3. To say I was an enthusiast would be an understatement. I've owned an Icon, an 8x, a Touch Pro 2, a Q, and even an iPaq back before WinMo supported phone hardware.

I thought maybe we'd see something exciting since the new Nov 1 release date coincided with the Microsoft Future Decoded event. But I think I'm done drinking the Kool-Aid.

As a consumer I can't deal with the fact that two companies as large as Microsoft/HP can't come up with even a little blurb that says "We're on Verizon as of XX/XX." It's an indication to me that no one really cares if they sell this product. When you have a ravenous, albeit small fanbase that continues to dig up information via FCC certifications, HP Sales back-channels, and conversations with former product developers you should do some sort of press release. Not having means one of two things - Either the platform is dead, or something new and awesome is on the horizon. And I've heard enough "something new and awesome is on the horizon" for the past few years about the non-existent Surface Phone. If I continue to believe that, I should be committed.

As a business owner, Microsoft just plain sucks. When you release things like Remote Desktop clients for Android before Windows Phone, don't ask why no one uses the platform. This wasn't when Windows Phone was on life support, this was when the platform was new. When you refuse to include things like SMB support when it was native in 6.5 you alienate your users. Not including a VPN from the start was a bad move too. You just can't keep saying no trust me this version is better, just wait a few years until we have all the functionality of the last version. There was a time I would laugh at iPhone users because they couldn't cut-and-paste. Then Windows Phone 7 came out and iPhone users were lauging at me.

As a developer, I'm not sure why anyone would want to support Windows Phone. You learn WM5/WM6 and at least those APIs were backwards compatible. Then you move to WP7 and have to learn new sandboxed APIs. Windows 8 comes along and now we have native API support but now we're simultaneously pushing UWP which is totally different from 7. At least 10 was like 8 with the UWP support but at this point everyone had already started pulling their WP apps, so it didn't matter anymore. I've seen people try to argue that Apple/Google do the same thing but it's not even close. Microsoft's treatment of mobile developers has been their equivalent of "you're holding it wrong."

Zac was being a bit disingenuous about their coverage of vaporware - I've read through article upon article about Surface phones, Cerulean, Andromeda, and CShell but nothing has come from them.
Microsoft can Andromeda you until you're blue in the face - the only reason they're building it is to replace Windows Embedded that's going to be EOLed soon. They are really not looking to build consumer oriented devices. I'm inclined to believe that the only reason the Surface anything exists is as an early PR ploy to show that the new start menu didn't suck "that bad."

Even the comments about not having a Windows Phone 10 CDMA stack I've heard thrown around were BS. Or maybe my Icon was running CDMA on Windows Phone 10 using unicorns and candy canes.

Not mad at you guys - you've done some super sleuthing. And I'm not mad at Zac - you can't consistently be expected to report on non-news or you become a supermarket tabloid. Microsoft is the only one to blame for bungling what I feel was until recently a consistently better product.

Munkyby

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
Waiting for this phone is like Waiting for Godot.

I want to apologize at the beginning for the whinefest that's about to commence. Before you guys roast me I want everyone to know that I appreciate and can relate to all of the excitement over Windows Phones, but I don't think I'm there anymore.

I've lurked on these forums for ages - waiting on the 950 for Verizon, the Surface Phone, the Cerulean phone, now waiting on the x3. To say I was an enthusiast would be an understatement. I've owned an Icon, an 8x, a Touch Pro 2, a Q, and even an iPaq back before WinMo supported phone hardware.

I thought maybe we'd see something exciting since the new Nov 1 release date coincided with the Microsoft Future Decoded event. But I think I'm done drinking the Kool-Aid.

As a consumer I can't deal with the fact that two companies as large as Microsoft/HP can't come up with even a little blurb that says "We're on Verizon as of XX/XX." It's an indication to me that no one really cares if they sell this product. When you have a ravenous, albeit small fanbase that continues to dig up information via FCC certifications, HP Sales back-channels, and conversations with former product developers you should do some sort of press release. Not having means one of two things - Either the platform is dead, or something new and awesome is on the horizon. And I've heard enough "something new and awesome is on the horizon" for the past few years about the non-existent Surface Phone. If I continue to believe that, I should be committed.

As a business owner, Microsoft just plain sucks. When you release things like Remote Desktop clients for Android before Windows Phone, don't ask why no one uses the platform. This wasn't when Windows Phone was on life support, this was when the platform was new. When you refuse to include things like SMB support when it was native in 6.5 you alienate your users. Not including a VPN from the start was a bad move too. You just can't keep saying no trust me this version is better, just wait a few years until we have all the functionality of the last version. There was a time I would laugh at iPhone users because they couldn't cut-and-paste. Then Windows Phone 7 came out and iPhone users were lauging at me.

As a developer, I'm not sure why anyone would want to support Windows Phone. You learn WM5/WM6 and at least those APIs were backwards compatible. Then you move to WP7 and have to learn new sandboxed APIs. Windows 8 comes along and now we have native API support but now we're simultaneously pushing UWP which is totally different from 7. At least 10 was like 8 with the UWP support but at this point everyone had already started pulling their WP apps, so it didn't matter anymore. I've seen people try to argue that Apple/Google do the same thing but it's not even close. Microsoft's treatment of mobile developers has been their equivalent of "you're holding it wrong."

Zac was being a bit disingenuous about their coverage of vaporware - I've read through article upon article about Surface phones, Cerulean, Andromeda, and CShell but nothing has come from them.
Microsoft can Andromeda you until you're blue in the face - the only reason they're building it is to replace Windows Embedded that's going to be EOLed soon. They are really not looking to build consumer oriented devices. I'm inclined to believe that the only reason the Surface anything exists is as an early PR ploy to show that the new start menu didn't suck "that bad."

Even the comments about not having a Windows Phone 10 CDMA stack I've heard thrown around were BS. Or maybe my Icon was running CDMA on Windows Phone 10 using unicorns and candy canes.

Not mad at you guys - you've done some super sleuthing. And I'm not mad at Zac - you can't consistently be expected to report on non-news or you become a supermarket tabloid. Microsoft is the only one to blame for bungling what I feel was until recently a consistently better product.

Couldn't have said it better. Aaaamen

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Yup. And what's stunning is how Microsoft's antitrust kerfuffle pails in comparison to the blatant criminal conduct Google is engaged in. According to the Wall Street Journal yesterday, apparently they got Trump's first FTC Commissioner pushed out of the running because he was planning on reopening the investigation the Obama administration had silently shut down. When Google's monopoly is so all-encompassing they control the antimonopoly regulators, you know we're up a freaking creek.

One of the reasons I don't use any Google services at all for personal use. If forced to leave W10M, I'd probably go Android and disable all services except the bare minimum because Android seems to be better suited to allow most of Microsoft's services as default. I just can't bring myself to go Apple either for countless other reasons, unless someone convinced me it's a better MS service experience under iOS.

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
One of the reasons I don't use any Google services at all for personal use. If forced to leave W10M, I'd probably go Android and disable all services except the bare minimum because Android seems to be better suited to allow most of Microsoft's services as default. I just can't bring myself to go Apple either for countless other reasons, unless someone convinced me it's a better MS service experience under iOS.

Apple may not be a better Microsoft service experience, but at least your phone would have basic security protections. Using an Android puts all of your data and accounts at risk.

Physman369

May 12, 2017
Visit site
Apple may not be a better Microsoft service experience, but at least your phone would have basic security protections. Using an Android puts all of your data and accounts at risk.

How is that? From what I have seen the same access restrictions on the iPhone, and WP10 are available on Android phones, and all apps have to ask permission for access to components like location, camera, mic etc...

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
How is that? From what I have seen the same access restrictions on the iPhone, and WP10 are available on Android phones, and all apps have to ask permission for access to components like location, camera, mic etc...

Let me give you an example: KRACK, the recent Wi-Fi vulnerability.

Google had months of advance notice of disclosure. Everyone else patched ahead of time. Our Windows Mobile devices were patched before it was disclosed (nearly a month ago now). Even a couple third party ROM authors already fixed theirs. But Google hasn't gotten around to it, and should fix it later this month. And that's just for the few Android phones that will actually get the update right away, as opposed to months from now, or in most cases, never. Google is the only major platform vendor that didn't have a patch ready on disclosure day.

The problem is that Google has an incompetent and unacceptable approach to security updates, and they have no intention of fixing it.

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
"As for Android devices, Google says that anything running the November 6 2017 security patch level will be protected."

From: Major vulnerability discovered in WPA2 Wi-Fi security protocol, affects Android and pretty much everything else

So, I am thinking the whole "no intention of fixing it" may be a little bit of an exaggeration....

No intention of fixing their overarching failed security handling, is what I said.

Not having KRACK fixed until November is an embarrassment. Everyone else had their patches out in early October. It's hard to even explain the extent of the monumental failure on Google's part that a November 6th fix represents.

And remember: That's only for the few Android devices that ever get the November patch level. Most won't. Let me remind you that 0.2% of Android devices run the current version of Android. And let me also remind you that every Windows 10 Mobile device and every iOS device made in the past five years, was already patched a month ago.

JethroB

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
I doubt Bill and Joe use their Galaxy Phones for anything more than phone calls. I'm sure not a single byte of personal data is accessed on them. They probably sign in with an alias and just play with Microsoft apps just to see how they work.
They probably use Andromeda devices for transferring secure data.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss