A New Verizon version of the HP Elite X3 is coming in Mid-October

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Interestingly enough, your APN settings don't include the important one for MMS: The MMSC url. I found it online, and am trying to get it to work. Hilariously, Verizon says you can't edit the APN, while I'm editing the APN. Guess they're used to crippled mobile devices that don't let their owners control them.

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
With ZERO help from the Verizon rep, I did get it working: The APN name needs to be all caps "VZWINTERNET" even though my first website I looked at had it lower case, the authentication type needs to be set to "none", and the MMSC URL for Verizon is http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms

If anyone else is having MMS issues with their Verizon Elite x3, point them at this.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly enough, your APN settings don't include the important one for MMS: The MMSC url.

I saw that. I wonder why my phone doesn't need it but yours does. I've never edited the APN on any device on Verizon.

Guess they're used to crippled mobile devices that don't let their owners control them.

This is an interesting way to view the situation! Crippled seems a bit presumptuous considering yours doesn't work out-of-the-box but any Android or iPhone does. The rep probably didn't know what to tell you because they never have to deal with it.

I can most certainly add any APN I wish. I don't have to though because it works fine without!

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
My guess is there's some carrier-proprietary crud in your Android that says "if Verizon use this MMSC". Without knowing which Android you have, I don't recall ever being able to tamper with my APN settings on my old Verizon Android devices, so it might be one of those things where locked phones sold through Verizon generally have it disabled (or used to, back when I had those phones), I don't know.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
(Sorry for the repost, but I think my question got lost in the last SMS convo. Here it is again:)

Out of curiosity, is there a text messaging app in the Windows Store that has GIF support baked in or links to a GIF datatbase? As far as I'm aware it's not on the regular messenger app. Any and all help with this would be truly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Activated the elite x3 on vz this morning. I'm able to send pics fine. My voicemail was messed up a bit though. Seems even basic visual voicemail is not supported on the x3 with vz currently.

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Activated the elite x3 on vz this morning. I'm able to send pics fine. My voicemail was messed up a bit though. Seems even basic visual voicemail is not supported on the x3 with vz currently.

Yeah, Visual Voicemail never worked on my Icon. Verizon had a weird issue with their app which included the preceding 1 in my area code, and then cut off the last digit of my phone number, and hence just failed to work.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Yep I remember that problem. I actually got that fixed one time. Can't remember how but I had to work with a tier two or three tech to do so.

cwhans2000

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
Originally posted by PuckCowboy
(Sorry for the repost, but I think my question got lost in the last SMS convo. Here it is again:)

Out of curiosity, is there a text messaging app in the Windows Store that has GIF support baked in or links to a GIF datatbase? As far as I'm aware it's not on the regular messenger app. Any and all help with this would be truly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

I am able to attach GIF in the SMS app on my Icon. I usually download the GIF to my device or to my Onedrive and then attach it. Not all GIF's will attach though. Not sure of why that is.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My guess is there's some carrier-proprietary crud in your Android that says "if Verizon use this MMSC". Without knowing which Android you have, I don't recall ever being able to tamper with my APN settings on my old Verizon Android devices, so it might be one of those things where locked phones sold through Verizon generally have it disabled (or used to, back when I had those phones), I don't know.

Hey I'm trying to be helpful here! :excited: I realize you don't like Android, but pretty much everything you say about Android isn't true. I know this from personal experience.

LIke I said earlier, Rubino indicated the Microsoft over-fired their engineering staff, which is why they didn't have a W10M device with CDMA. Then you get one, it doesn't fully work, and you blame Android? How do you figure?

I've never had an Android device (that I know of) where I couldn't edit or create new APNs. I also have never needed to do it unless using MVNOs, or data only SIM cards.

As to what devices I've used on Verizon, besides my first Verizon Galaxy Nexus, I've used Nexus 6, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, factory unlocked Galaxy S7 Edge, factory unlocked iPhone SE, and factory unlocked Galaxy S8+. Besides the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus, all of these were factory unlocked, with no Verizon branding or software anywhere. I've never had to edit an APN on Verizon. If they had "crud" making it work, then that's fine; I don't care. You shouldn't have to do what you did to make it work properly.

SUCKITUPBUTTERCUP

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Hey I'm trying to be helpful here! :excited: I realize you don't like Android, but pretty much everything you say about Android isn't true. I know this from personal experience.

LIke I said earlier, Rubino indicated the Microsoft over-fired their engineering staff, which is why they didn't have a W10M device with CDMA. Then you get one, it doesn't fully work, and you blame Android? How do you figure?

I've never had an Android device (that I know of) where I couldn't edit or create new APNs. I also have never needed to do it unless using MVNOs, or data only SIM cards.

As to what devices I've used on Verizon, besides my first Verizon Galaxy Nexus, I've used Nexus 6, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, factory unlocked Galaxy S7 Edge, factory unlocked iPhone SE, and factory unlocked Galaxy S8+. Besides the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus, all of these were factory unlocked, with no Verizon branding or software anywhere. I've never had to edit an APN on Verizon. If they had "crud" making it work, then that's fine; I don't care. You shouldn't have to do what you did to make it work properly.

I guess you must be one of those who are perfectly aligned and live trouble free. It never happened to me so...LIAR! ...LOL I own a Galaxy 7s and want to chuck it out the window (company phone). I have had, (4)920, (2)925, (2)1020, (3) 640xl, (1)1520, and now a (4)950. ..

SUCKITUPBUTTERCUP

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Cont'd: All have had their software issues at times..(such is I.T.) All devices are still functioning and actively being used on AT&T. Large family (a lot of kids, my parents wife's parents... hand me downs from yours truly their dad/son). So, W10m perfect nope! Is it a different Mobile OS from Android, iOS...You Bet!! If you understand how to use the family features, set up Microsoft accounts correctly through adult accounts(admin accounts)😉 set up family 365 Microsoft office suite....Android and iOs look like the Dinosaurs they are. They do not compare to W10M ....I might add...just wait For WCOS being released in 2018 (subject to change lol). I'll take Microsoft any day over social media entertainment devices any day

Last edited:

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site

I'm also speaking from six years of personal experience with Android. And the Verizon rep also said it wasn't info you could change, though he seemed to lack all his facts there.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Cont'd: All have had their software issues at times..(such is I.T.) All devices are still functioning and actively being used on AT&T. Large family (a lot of kids, my parents wife's parents... hand me downs from yours truly their dad/son). So, W10m perfect nope! Is it a different Mobile OS from Android, iOS...You Bet!! If you understand how to use the family features, set up Microsoft accounts correctly through adult accounts(admin accounts)?????? set up family 365 Microsoft office suite....Android and iOs look like the Dinosaurs they are. They do not compare to W10M ....I might add...just wait For WCOS being released in 2018 (subject to change lol). I'll take Microsoft any day over social media entertainment devices any day

I can relate. I have an IDOL 4s that my 5 year old safely uses everyday due to the Family management features. I also interop unlocked it to disable other items for personal reasons. But even if I had not wanted to make additional changes on my own, the security policy that globally runs the device when it is set to a child account is unmatched in my opinion.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm also speaking from six years of personal experience with Android. And the Verizon rep also said it wasn't info you could change, though he seemed to lack all his facts there.

Gotcha! Those reps though have no idea what they're talking about. Every rep may give you a different answer to any given question. They read from a script, but I've found their interpretation of questions to be a crapshoot. Plus, they probably have little to no experience with WM.

It's generally not necessary to edit APNs on Verizon. In fact, I've never heard of it being necessary until reading about your situation. Have you ever heard of it before? Have you ever had to do it before?

Verizon was known to lack CDMA expertise in W10M development. Well, here is the evidence.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I am able to attach GIF in the SMS app on my Icon. I usually download the GIF to my device or to my Onedrive and then attach it. Not all GIF's will attach though. Not sure of why that is.

Thanks @cwhans2000. I knew I could save GIFs from online to the phone or Onedrive then addthem, however I was jut wondering if there was an app that provided immediate access to a selection of GIFs from within the app (ex: android text messaging apps, facebook messenger, etc.)

As far as not all GIFs attaching, it is because there is limit on size within the app itself.

Thanks again for the info!

dalascby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
With ZERO help from the Verizon rep, I did get it working: The APN name needs to be all caps "VZWINTERNET" even though my first website I looked at had it lower case, the authentication type needs to be set to "none", and the MMSC URL for Verizon is http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms

If anyone else is having MMS issues with their Verizon Elite x3, point them at this.

How did you determine that it needed to be in all caps? Even Verizon's pages show the APN settings in all lower case.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720