Bought the X3 this week, replacing 950XL, and I love it!

6029KingStephen

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I’ve had the Elite X3 for a week now, replacing my 950XL, and I’m really really pleased I made the jump.
I’ve previously had Lumia’s – the 1020, 930, 1520 and the 950XL. Before that a few iPhones. The HP is easily the best of the lot in terms of the overall package. Photos can be slightly underwhelming, but in every other respect it’s the best phone I’ve had.
What I like:
- The screen is amazing, clear, bright and very easy on the eye
- The fingerprint reader is great, instant wake up and sign on whenever I touch it
- At last, a decent battery life! No low battery anxiety at all yet, despite pretty heavy use it has always been 30-50% left at the end of the day
- It works far better than the 950XL. For example, I hated the Windows Central app on the 950 – it was slow to load, crashed a lot, froze up frequently. On the HP, it loads instantaneously and runs great. I have no idea why there’s such a dramatic difference! Having given the app 1 star on the Store I may have to revise my opinion.
- Same with Edge – frequent freezes and slowdowns on the 950, fast loading and rendering and no problems at all on the HP
- The dock is really nice, just to use as a charging stand so far, it’s easier than fiddling with the loose cable
- The supplied headphones are pretty nice
- It’s currently priced at £478 on the HP UK store, including the dock, which is an excellent price for a phone this good – and only £450 if you don’t want the dock
I hesitated quite a bit before buying, but I’m glad I did. I was getting a bit fed up with Windows Phone, but the X3 has refreshed my enthusiasm for it.
What’s not to like?
- The camera, as mentioned, is not up to the standard of the Lumias, but it produces OK photos and video, and I used ProShot which enables more control over the photos and videos you take, for somewhat better results. There are a few examples below.
- It’s a pity it doesn’t have the glance screen

Anyway, overall I'd recommend this phone for anyone who likes large handsets and Windows Phone, and for about half the price of Samsung or Apple equivalents it is amazing value too.

If anyone has questions, I'll be happy to answer :smile:

WP_20170923_08_06_57_Pro.jpg

WP_20170923_13_29_19_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20170923_16_09_20_Pro.jpg

WP_20170923_10_48_17_Pro.jpg

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the X3 elite club for echelons LOL. BTW I agree with everything in your post EXCEPT the camera... Those pics that you posted above look fantastic to me and I find the color and lighting and clarity look great in those pics... But maybe I can't tell because I'm not a picture guy... My eyes are good and I'd like to think I would be able to tell the difference between poor pic standards and very good pic standards... Also I don't know why, but the X3 runs amazingly on edge and it is actually easier to upload pics to WC site than my laptop AND desktop! I don't get it! LOL what did HP do to the X3 that it surfs better than everything else? LOL 😁

Anyways go visit my thread of wallpapers dedicated to the X3 and windows10 and perhaps you'll find a nice wallpaper to your liking?

https://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-wallpapers/464919-3.htm#post3705800

TunedM52

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
Hey same here! I was tired of carrying around 2-3 spare batteries with me every day with my Lumia 950XL. Loved it in every other way though, so this was a tough change for me. I originally switched to windows phone because of the amazing camera's, and I agree with you that the x3 is many steps below the 950XL. At least it's a little better than the Idol 4S! That and how I cannot use tap to pay for transactions. Why microsoft, the app and hardware is there, just add the functionality! Oh, and the glance screen. I miss that so much. Otherwise, this is the ultimate windows phone. I'm loving it so far. Especially the battery life!

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Enjoy it. I'd still be using it as my primary if I hadn't dropped it and relegated it to the desktop. Using an Iphone and my 950xl as personal and work respectively. The x3 screen was brilliant. Enjoy.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Hey same here! I was tired of carrying around 2-3 spare batteries with me every day with my Lumia 950XL. Loved it in every other way though, so this was a tough change for me. I originally switched to windows phone because of the amazing camera's, and I agree with you that the x3 is many steps below the 950XL. At least it's a little better than the Idol 4S! That and how I cannot use tap to pay for transactions. Why microsoft, the app and hardware is there, just add the functionality! Oh, and the glance screen. I miss that so much. Otherwise, this is the ultimate windows phone. I'm loving it so far. Especially the battery life!

no way the X3 is "many" steps BELOW the L950! only thing that is below the L950 on the X3 is the camera... that's it

Jason Angle

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
So the battery and dual sim situation is my key point, although someone just posted they hacked the carrier and got a sim and SD card working. Anyway, battery, what kind of use are you doing and still ending the day with 50%? Those are my selling points, I have an extra battery for the 950XL that I keep just in case to swap on heavy use days.

6029KingStephen

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
So the battery and dual sim situation is my key point, although someone just posted they hacked the carrier and got a sim and SD card working. Anyway, battery, what kind of use are you doing and still ending the day with 50%? Those are my selling points, I have an extra battery for the 950XL that I keep just in case to swap on heavy use days.

I'm not sure what you are asking about the Sim and SD card. I'm not a dual-Sim user. I just dropped in the Sim and SD card from my 950XL and both work fine. As for usage, I suppose I'd class myself as one of those people who's "always" fiddling with their phone, most of the time either browsing, using the Facebook app, checking email or taking photos and videos. Plus texting and calling a few times a day. The kind of usage that meant I would not often survive past dinner time on a single 950XL charge. If I was going to be out past about 6 in the evening I would take the spare battery, as it would always be needed. Worst case so far in the first week with the X3 is getting down to 30% by bedtime. I hope that answers your question :smile:.

Jason Angle

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
Sorry for the confusion, another thread, a guy modded the second SIM/SD card slot and used both, which I need (two different SIM, and SD Card). Know exactly what you are talking about with the dead by dinner on the 950XL. I have a charger in my work vehicle, personal vehicle, and a extra battery in my Surface Pro satchel (Saddleback Leather BTW is amazing if you haven't looked at them before). Yes I think you answered my question, might seriously consider the change if this modification is accurate, just need more than 64Gigs, use that 128 microSD card to about 75% capacity at any given time.

Jason Angle

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
Two SIMS and a MicroSD all working together. As HP lists the Elite as 2 SIMs or SIM and SD card. That post he linked they guy did all three.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Oh that's cool. I used to have two sims but got away from that when I was forced to enroll any device I use with InTune. I didn't want my personal cell enrolled.

Here's a pic from the forum with the sd card glued to the SIM

oaik1aP.jpg

Sent from mTalk on my 950xl

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3