HP is abandoning Windows Mobile

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Well, the day has come when the last serious W10M manufacturer is abandoning the platform. HP announced that they will no longer build new Elite devices and will no longer build x3 and only sell what they have built so far. Support will end in 2019.

This is it boys and girls.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...hp-windows-phone-support-ending-2019-elite-x3
I can't believe anyone is still surprised about this. It's been dead for years? Why is it taking so long for people to realize it?

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I've been in touch with two sales reps that say they are "In Production" on the Elite X3 for Verizon that should be available in about a week. Verizon also has posted it to their site as a compatible device. This story seems to go directly against all of that.

I will reach out to the rep with these stories to see what they say and post again here with more info.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
The OS itself has a life cycle end date in mind. Yes they are ending support of the X3 or any newer X device that would have been because W10M has an end in sight. That does not mean that the next iteration of mobile computing won't have a Dell/HP or whomever on board with another handheld of some sort. It just won't run W10M as we know today.

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
One guy in a different country says some crud, and everyone covers it. Also, the source of this is actually the same site which claims the Surface line will be dead by 2019 too.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE from HP TODAY (10/6/2017):

I just reached out to Kevin, the HP rep listed on Verizon's HP Elite X3 page, about the article listed above, including the source article. I asked if this would affect the Verizon variant of the roll out. Here are his exact words:

"Our plan was to launch an additional model of the X3 and decided recently to put that on hold. We are producing a Verizon version device and it should be available around 10/15. We did set a finite production quantity of it so we could secure parts based off the foretasted demand for the Verizon version device. That is not uncommon in the wireless phone business."

There you have it, a Verizon version is indeed being "produced" although it sounds like in a limited quantity. The question just remains, are you comfortable with only getting updates to this phone to about 2019. I for one am ok with it as I would hope MS gets their act together by then with their new industry defining mobile product. If not, then I will be forced to jump to Android. (I'm less of an iOS fan than Android, although I dislike both.)

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
UPDATE from HP TODAY (10/6/2017):

I just reached out to Kevin, the HP rep listed on Verizon's HP Elite X3 page, about the article listed above, including the source article. I asked if this would affect the Verizon variant of the roll out. Here are his exact words:

"Our plan was to launch an additional model of the X3 and decided recently to put that on hold. We are producing a Verizon version device and it should be available around 10/15. We did set a finite production quantity of it so we could secure parts based off the foretasted demand for the Verizon version device. That is not uncommon in the wireless phone business."

There you have it, a Verizon version is indeed being "produced" although it sounds like in a limited quantity. The question just remains, are you comfortable with only getting updates to this phone to about 2019. I for one am ok with it as I would hope MS gets their act together by then with their new industry defining mobile product. If not, then I will be forced to jump to Android. (I'm less of an iOS fan than Android, although I dislike both.)

Android is a linux users nightmare in my opinon. IMO Apple did it right with their rendition of the "nix" kernel. However, from an enthusiast standpoint Android is awesome. Apple does scare me away by their pricing.

If 2019 is the time frame for something new after Windows 10 Mobile. I will be there waiting with an X3 or something else able to run currently on the platform.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
imho, I would tell anyone to go for it and you won't regret it, I've owned my X3 for almost a month now and luv it to death (and I'm coming from using the L950XL + L950 + LG G6) I still can't put it down and use it daily and don't have any problems with it for all I need to do, but lets be honest here, most (if not some) people get new phones every 2 years as they get bored with their devices rather quickly and want something new and shiny, so getting the X3 for 2 years is still not bad! also even though WM will stop getting updates in 2019, doesn't mean your phone will cease to function! you will still be able to use your phone and live merrily along doing our own things... and I will definitely keep on doing my thing and rocking my X3 for many years to come!

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I can't believe anyone is still surprised about this. It's been dead for years? Why is it taking so long for people to realize it?

Because we have been listening to the WP is dead sirens for 10 years now. Obviously there are people that aren't going to listen. Everything eventually dies.

I am curious just what MS told HP, like, HP has to have a somewhat working knowledge of what MS has planned for the refresh.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I think the ZDnet put it best:
"We will continue to fully support HP Elite x3 customers and partners through 2019. We will continue to evaluate our plans with Windows Mobile as Microsoft shares additional roadmap details. Sales of the HP Elite x3 continue and will be limited to inventories in country. HP remains committed to investing in mobility solutions and has some exciting offerings coming in 2018."

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I think the ZDnet put it best:
"We will continue to fully support HP Elite x3 customers and partners through 2019. We will continue to evaluate our plans with Windows Mobile as Microsoft shares additional roadmap details. Sales of the HP Elite x3 continue and will be limited to inventories in country. HP remains committed to investing in mobility solutions and has some exciting offerings coming in 2018."

Lol, i hate statements like that. More speculations. Are "exiting new offerings" part of the retrenchment? I would guess no. If i was HP I wouldn't touch MS with a 10 foot poll.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Lol, i hate statements like that. More speculations. Are "exiting new offerings" part of the retrenchment? I would guess no. If i was HP I wouldn't touch MS with a 10 foot poll.

I work in the rugged computer space where Win CE and Mobile ruled. Not anymore though. There is absolutely no demand for Windows 10, it's all Android. In fact Win 10 is so locked down devs have to go with Android to be able to develop their applications they way they want to. Sad, sad but it's the facts

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

You know, right? As ambiguous as Microsoft themselves...

JM_Thomas

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Well, that's it for me then. I will just go to a dumb flip phone when my current contract is up. Have had enough Android security problems, and Apple looks to be sliding down hill. The Linux kernel isn't the problem so much for Android as the crummy Java garbage she'll and all the insecure garbage apps Goggle allows in their marketplace. If Apple phones weren't crazy stupid expensive I MIGHT consider one, but when a phone costs more than my first car, that is just plain crazy.

JM_Thomas

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Many Androids are already dead (dont get Updates) 4 weeks after you bought them.

Oh I know, that is one of the reasons I hate Android so much. Lazy manufacturers and zero support from the OS maker.

Android is such a garbage OS, but since any programmer, no matter how bad they are at it, can create some Java-based garbage with an IDE, and peddle it on Google Play,it is "popular".

Without that easy money stream, Android would have died years ago. Just shows how Google is nothing but a money grubbing tramp of a company, quality be hung.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Many Androids are already dead (dont get Updates) 4 weeks after you bought them.

Doing my research in moving platforms I started listening to Android Central podcast. The hosts basically talk among themselves about a verity of subjects Android related. They mentioned several phones that have NEVER gotten an update since their release and a broken promises that a particular phone was going to be updated and at last minute the manufacturer changed their minds and didn't give that particular phone updates (sound familiar WP users? lol). I only listened to three podcast and have changed my mind about leaving WP as of yet. MS is forcing people to change so eventually I will, but not sure what I'm going to do. I'm like the weather, I change daily.

Elitewolf

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Doing my research in moving platforms I started listening to Android Central podcast. The hosts basically talk among themselves about a verity of subjects Android related. They mentioned several phones that have NEVER gotten an update since their release and a broken promises that a particular phone was going to be updated and at last minute the manufacturer changed their minds and didn't give that particular phone updates (sound familiar WP users? lol). I only listened to three podcast and have changed my mind about leaving WP as of yet. MS is forcing people to change so eventually I will, but not sure what I'm going to do. I'm like the weather, I change daily.

I'm also very leery of making Android my main device in the future, I'm hoping by the time my windows device is dead that something like this Librem 5 phone is out there and supported by devs https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos