HP X3 Verizon issues

MetalHd

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
My phone isnt attaching 100% to the Verizon network. It behaves like I am not provisioned, yet customer service says my device is showing all green lights on the network dashboard. My texts are wonky, and intermittent if the other person is off verizon. My data drops to 1x in a voice call.

I get LTE+ as an idicator while idle.

APN for MMS is empty, internet apn is vzwinternet.

THey also charged me for a new sim card to fix the problem, but no change.

Anyone else with provisioning issues? DO you have a Verizon splash screen on boot? (I have HP, yet the cust svc seemed to think I should have Verizon) I am running latest insider build. One HP tech support thought that was buggy build, but could be GSM reference.

xFalk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
My x3 for Verizon also has the HP start screen which is normal for an unlocked phone not bought through a carrier. That's a non-issue. My MMS APN was empty as well but still was able to send and receive texts. I filled in the info (APN = vzwinternet, IP Type = IPv4v6, MMSC URL = http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms) but it doesn't perform any differently.

My SIM was free when I picked it up at the Verizon store.

I have two main issues:
1) My received MMS images are compressed to black and white and/or text within photos is unreadable. Been searching the Internet far and wide for a solution and can't seem to find one. Do all X3's have crappy MMS receiving capabilities?
2) Every once in a while, the phone will "sort-of" lock up. I can still function within whatever app is up but I cant get out of it. Only solution is a hard reboot. Seems to happen mostly when texting.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
MMS seemed to be my only real issue at first. I fixed that by too adding the mms apn.

Here are my concerns I have shared under the hp.com forums for the Elite X3...

--MMS messages (pictures/video/long sms) stopped working today until I added manually the mms apn settings. I could not send or recieve them. MMS worked fine for a week up until this happened. The mms apn is not set by default on Windows 10 mobile. It is provisioned statically that is why I found this peculiar in that it worked, when the mms apn is not needed on other Verizon windows 10 mobile handsets...

--My phone randomly lost service in the middle of a phone call. I highly doubt it was VZ related. During that call I had an incoming call come in right before all service dropped. The "no service" issue though was showing until I rebooted my phone.

--Battery drain is higher on this model compared to the GSM model in my opinion. Maybe due to the CDMA or LTE+ always on...
**Batery life has improved a bit over the past several days which is good. This is typical after a hard reset/OS SW updates. So that is a good sign Smiley Happy

--There is no FFU (current image/full flash update) file available yet for the VZW model. If I have an issue on my phone that a hard reset cannot fix and that a hard wipe using the Windows Device Recovery tool could solve, then we are out of luck atm...and would need to mail it to HP to reimage it.

MetalHd

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
So do you have both APN and MMS APN with entries? and both are the same server essentially?

Are you getting 1X in voice calls?

My battery life is great, and the phone seems quite responsive in comparison to my Icon.

I can also turn on my hotspot feature, without subscribing to it!

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Thank you, all, for these comments. This weekend, I hope to unbox and set up, for the first time, my HP X3 (Verizon version). Any other suggestions?
Best Wishes

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
So do you have both APN and MMS APN with entries? and both are the same server essentially?

Are you getting 1X in voice calls?

My battery life is great, and the phone seems quite responsive in comparison to my Icon.

APNs are the same apn name vzwinternet. Except the mms apn has the additional fields for mms needed. I only added manually the mms apn since I lost the ability to receive and send mms messages one day randomly. I have not dropped to 1x for voice calls yet though. Did you do a hard reset yet? I have done at least one since I got it...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Are you sure your plan doesn't include tethering? Besides prepaid and the legacy unlimited data plan, pretty much all plans include tethering.

APNs are the same apn name vzwinternet. Except the mms apn has the additional fields for mms needed. I only added manually the mms apn since I lost the ability to receive and send mms messages one day randomly. I have not dropped to 1x for voice calls yet though. Did you do a hard reset yet? I have done at least one since I got it...

I find it interesting that it is necessary to manually create or edit the APN. I've used factory unlocked phones on Verizon for several years now, and I have never had to touch the APN on any device. Everything has always worked perfectly out of the box; calls, SMS, MMS, and LTE. I wonder too why some of you have different results than others with the same device.

Dono Newcomb

May 8, 2014
Visit site
As to the question if all x3's have these issues. I would say no, It must be something with either a "Locked Verizon Phone" or maybe their network itself. I have a dual sim unlocked x3 on AT&T and it works beautifully except when I am traveling out of the country it sometimes has issues intermittently, but that I think is the different networks not handshaking properly.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I find it interesting that it is necessary to manually create or edit the APN. I've used factory unlocked phones on Verizon for several years now, and I have never had to touch the APN on any device. Everything has always worked perfectly out of the box; calls, SMS, MMS, and LTE. I wonder too why some of you have different results than others with the same device.

It is a WIP in my opinion. From my perspective HP is spearheading what Microsoft did not chose to do themselves. The last device on VZW was the Lumia 735 and it ran out of the box WP8. So HP may have a few hurdles to take here to optimize their phone on VZ. I suspect we might see a FW update soon or hopefully the FFU file shows up quick. Elite Support L3 is in contact with Microsoft to get the FFU posted...

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It is a WIP in my opinion. From my perspective HP is spearheading what Microsoft did not chose to do themselves. The last device on VZW was the Lumia 735 and it ran out of the box WP8. So HP may have a few hurdles to take here to optimize their phone on VZ. I suspect we might see a FW update soon or hopefully the FFU file shows up quick. Elite Support L3 is in contact with Microsoft to get the FFU posted...

Dan Rubino mentioned on Reddit a year or so ago that due to layoffs in mobile, Microsoft lacked CDMA engineering for W10M. With the focus shifted away from the OS, it likely was never optimized. You are probably correct that this is in HP's court.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It is layered. At the OS level Microsoft has some respnsibility. HP has its own fw and optimization levels for their HW that they definitely are responsible for...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It is layered. At the OS level Microsoft has some respnsibility. HP has its own fw and optimization levels for their HW that they definitely are responsible for...

True. Maybe HP just went ahead on their own, without optimization support from Microsoft. I have no idea! Just because it isn't optimized or supported doesn't mean it won't work.

The Lumia 735 officially got the W10M upgrade. But from what Dan mentioned, an upgrade is different than a W10M native device.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
True. Maybe HP just went ahead on their own, without optimization support from Microsoft. I have no idea! Just because it isn't optimized or supported doesn't mean it won't work.

The Lumia 735 officially got the W10M upgrade. But from what Dan mentioned, an upgrade is different than a W10M native device.

Correct. I am not sure how much of the CDMA stack from WP8 was upgraded on the Lumia 735 or if none at all and simply was cross compatible for that model up W10M AU or whatever it was...

MetalHd

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site

I am on the Insider Build, waiting for the stock image to be available.

Do you leave your Sim Mode on Global or LTE and CDMA?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It is set to Global. I did switch it at one point to see how it performed and it lost connections in certain places I assume since it could not use roaming bands when not in Global mode...?

MetalHd

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
So I added the MMS APN, and can no longer send mms. But I can if I remove it. Set to global while doing so. This lack of provisioning is killing me.. I wish the recovery image was available.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
In case I missed it, you've done a hard reset from the phone already, correct? (Reboot, at the HP logo hold down the Volume Down button until you see the lighting bolt...then hit volume up, volume down, power button, volume down...)

Can you post you're OS version? There are no new insider builds as of November...

shutout5591

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
I exchanged my elite x3 for another one to see if it was a hardware issue that was making my phone go to 1x during calls but it still does this. Any suggestions?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers