HP X3 Verizon issues

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
Yes this text recipient limit I think is part of my problem. Tonight I received a group text to more than 10 people. I saw the first 10 recipients listed. When I received the first response that person was not part of the original 10 and the reply came in a new thread. I received another reply and it started another thread. So I now have three threads for the one message. I have not noticed the download button on pictures since I did a hard reset, I have also left the MMS apn blank.

It is also interesting in that the sim settings are different between phones. Maybe this is from the provisioning of the carrier. I do not have a choice to set network to global or other choices, and cannot set max speed to 3g, 4g etc.

drn007

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
My device HP Elite X3
Windows 10 mobile OS Build 15254.124
Version 1709
Received video text looks like a snapshot. I contacted HP support and they had me add a MMS APN setting
This changed the snapshot into a download prompt. When I press download it switched to downloading for about 2.5 minutes and then goes back to the download prompt. HP suggested I contact VZW Tier 2 support and if they couldn't assist me then I should contact Microsoft support.
I contacted VZW and they confirmed the MMS APN settings were correct, but they weren't sure why I added the setting since they said media content text should work on the device right out of the box. They advised my phone was provisioned correctly and MMS should work. I remove the MMS APN setting.
I contacted Microsoft support and they advised me they don't support third party hardware and i should contact HP. Microsoft support suggested I report it to their feedback hub.
I contacted HP support and informed them Microsoft advises that this issue is theirs.
HP is investigating.
Some of the video text message arrives as a snapshot with a play button> if I press and hold it it prompts me to save, open delete or forward. If I choose open I am prompter to search for an app in the store.
View attachment 138388

I contacted HP as previously suggested. They made a case and said they are escalating this to Microsoft. I'm surprised this is not resolved since the above post is from Dec. Any other HP X3 users able to view video received via text message?

universalfield

Apr 5, 2018
Visit site
I'm thinking I might have to return mine, which is a shame. From my position, it looks as if Verizon simply didn't "right-click save" when they got the memo.

1: I've been to several Verizon stores, as well as Best Buy, and spoke via chat and telephone.

2: Each tried to activate it in a slightly different way. Best Buy was actually the most well-informed.

3: All except Best Buy had to be told it required a sim, and then had to be told that didn't make it GSM. The person on the phone seemed to believe, even after that, that the phone could be activated completely and remotely...

5: While the numbers show up on Verizon's site as compatible, they did not show as compatible or even recognized at any Verizon store with access to Verizon computers. It was suggested at least once that Verizon's online phone check might simply be approving via assumption.

6: Half the people told me VOLTE needs to be activated in the phone, and the other half had to look it up. I don't know until the sim is in there whether or not the setting is in the OS or on Verizon's end. Can't check, because I don't want a credit check added to my history just to find out.

There's more, but it all points back to Verizon, in this case, being unaware of the device in general. They've received no training in regard to the X3. Even searching the net, there's no way for me to find out where that VOLTE setting is.

Soon as I touched it I realized I would be happy with it, and this was the final option. There's nothing else out there for me, so I really, really don't want to send it back, but sooner or later there's one potential pitfall too many.

In this case, I can't be sure the transfer will work properly because nobody knows what they are doing, and if it doesn't go smoothly, my number could be in limbo for a few days, and that would be a problem.

HP Elite Support was surprisingly quick, efficient, and down to earth; but this isn't their responsibility. I don't believe it's Microsoft's end, either.

I genuinely think that the document meant to explain the phone to Verizon was simply never posted where it needed to be, and the fact that very few there (or anywhere, not just Verizon) actually understand what they're doing is also a factor.

I want it to work, because ATT is killing me with connectivity issues in my area. I only went there to get the 950, and now I can't get back to Verizon. LOL

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
2: Each tried to activate it in a slightly different way. Best Buy was actually the most well-informed.

Verizon cannot always activate a factory unlocked phone. In the last couple years they have gotten much better at it, adding some of the more common devices to their database. But if the phone supports Verizon but is factory unlocked, you sometimes will need an activated SIM card. The HP Elite X3 is low quantity so I doubt it's in their database.

I posted this earlier in this thread, but I've used factory unlocked phones on Verizon for the last several years. The only times I've used a Verizon branded phone was for the initial activate when I opened the account, and one time later when I needed a new SIM card. Otherwise, I've simply swapped the SIM card into the new phone. Within a few seconds, the new phone is online and if I log into my Verizon account online, it shows the new phone.

I didn't check to see if you have another post in this thread with more details, but have you tried using an already activated SIM card? Some store reps will grab a display phone, activate your SIM card, and then you can put it in your phone. Otherwise borrow a Verizon phone from a friend and use it to activate your SIM card.

universalfield

Apr 5, 2018
Visit site
I have no other posts, as that was my first. I did intend to ask a question, but I wanted to put my supposition out there, that it seems likely the hardware and software might be fine, but in my many explorations via Verizon support and outlets, was unable to find someone that actually knew the phone even existed, let alone how to get it running.

Yeah, this one needs a SIM, but the people are so unfamiliar with that part of the process here (relatively rural, in relation to most people talking about phones on the net) that I can be sure I'm going to get what I need out of a test run with an activated unit.

Honestly, most of the phones sold around here are burners. They have little utility for too much education in regard to products or services, and are packed to the gills with lines going out the door as people complain after not paying bills. It's that sort of area.

Figured it might be good to suggest something here that hasn't been mentioned, though; that being that a lack of information within the carrier might be part of the issues people are running into.

It does need the SIM card to actually see many settings, activated or not. More stuff does show up, but it's limited. I'm not currently with Verizon, and want to port my number, so it's a risky process with little information, especially with a required credit check.

Honestly, the most helpful thing I could hear right now is where that VOLTE setting is. Will a toggle pop up in the operating system settings once an activated SIM is inserted, or is it something Verizon has to do on their end.

Nobody has mentioned that part of the process anywhere on the net at this point, and I personally think it's a critical puzzle piece. If I have that information and activate the phone, I'll be more than happy to do a full, detailed write-up that people can find to answer all their questions.

If I know where that VOLTE setting is (OS or on Verizon's end) I'll be much more likely to walk in tomorrow and roll the dice. Once rolled, it won't take me long to realize what's going on and cement the solutions for people.

Do you happen to know the answer to that question? I'd be excited to hear it if you do. :)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, the most helpful thing I could hear right now is where that VOLTE setting is. Will a toggle pop up in the operating system settings once an activated SIM is inserted, or is it something Verizon has to do on their end.

I don't know for sure, but I don't believe Verizon has to do anything on their end for at least the setting for VoLTE to appear. Now, whether or not the setting does anything? I don't know that either.

I am currently using a factory unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8+. The VoLTE setting is found under Mobile Networks. And I don't know whether or not it's always there, or only with the SIM card inserted. I don't feel like taking the SIM card out to check. Here is what mine looks like in Settings:

Screenshot_20180406-080418_Mobile networks.jpg

it seems likely the hardware and software might be fine, but in my many explorations via Verizon support and outlets, was unable to find someone that actually knew the phone even existed, let alone how to get it running.

This is probably not an uncommon situation with a factory unlocked phone. The Verizon reps would be familiar with the phones they carry in their stores.

Here's what I would do. Buy a Verizon branded burner phone, or borrow a Verizon phone from a friend, and activate it. After it's activated, take the SIM card out and put it in your HP Elite X3. Done. While Verizon seems to need an IMEI to activate a SIM card, technically they are just activating the SIM card. The activated SIM card automatically provisions whatever phone in which it is placed. Read again what I put in the post above yours:

<snip> I've used factory unlocked phones on Verizon for the last several years. The only times I've used a Verizon branded phone was for the initial activate when I opened the account, and one time later when I needed a new SIM card. Otherwise, I've simply swapped the SIM card into the new phone. Within a few seconds, the new phone is online and if I log into my Verizon account online, it shows the new phone.

universalfield

Apr 5, 2018
Visit site
Yeah, I intended to try to find a SIM laying around somewhere today, as I saw your suggestion.

I asked to try a non-active one the other day at a store, just to see if the menu opened up. I got more, but not everything. Just going through it step by step, as there is a lot of supposition in the air when people have trouble, and there's just no need for it if someone takes the time to write down the details.

What I think I'm going to do is go prepaid for a month with a new account using the X3. That gives me service, an active SIM, and lets me find all the settings while making sure everything works properly. In the meantime, I'll still have my number on the 950.

Then, if everything works, I'll roll it into a post-paid account and have them port the number. I don't actually use enough data to need more than the basic plan for a month.

My real frustration has been around porting the number and the credit check. Credit is fine, but I don't like the checks all the time, especially when there's no reason to do it. As for the number, if it doesn't stick, it's possible to lose it for a few days. That would be an issue.

The VOLTE concern is as a result of finding out the phone requires the setting to be enabled in order to function properly. I just wish all the menu options were there, and simply grayed out if they can't be adjusted, rather than missing.

I suspect it's in the phone, but it's hard to make a decision with so many variables floating around. I finally got a bit of sleep now, though, so my mind is working better. LOL

If I can pull it off today, I'll still be within the return window if I have to go that route. I don't mind being the one who has to know something, but when it comes to a phone, if the stores remain confused it's kind of an irritation.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
What I think I'm going to do is go prepaid for a month with a new account using the X3. That gives me service, an active SIM, and lets me find all the settings while making sure everything works properly. In the meantime, I'll still have my number on the 950.

This sounds like a good idea. I think though that you'll need a Verizon branded phone to activate an account, even a prepaid account. Walmart has prepaid Verizon Android phones for as low as $30.

When I opened my Verizon account, I wanted to use a factory unlocked phone. I bought a cheap older Verizon branded LTE smartphone on eBay and used that for activation.

This was about 4 years ago, so I don't know if that is still required. Based on putting together your experiences and what I've heard otherwise, it may be, depending on which factory unlocked device you have.

universalfield

Apr 5, 2018
Visit site
I've got my old Verizon Lumia 928 sitting right here. The battery won't hold a charge, but it still works fine plugged in. I didn't want to swap the battery again, because the ones available are terrible now.

That's why I left Verizon and picked up the Lumia 950, only to find I'd be better off with tin cans and string around here than with AT&T... There was no path to Mobile 10 with Verizon at that time.

So, back to Verizon, and the only new CDMA Windows phone on the market, the HP Elite X3.

If they need a Verizon phone just to activate it, they can use the 928; but I'm fine buying something cheap. I can sell it as soon as I'm done with it.

They should be able to do it with the X3 now, but if it sounds even the slightest bit sketchy, I'll use the 928 or whatever their cheapest burner is. Now I've just got to go try to explain the process to them...

I know, it seems easy, but these aren't the best and brightest.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Now I've just got to go try to explain the process to them...

You don't have to explain anything to them. Take a Verizon branded or an accepted factory unlocked phone and get it activated. Go home, remove the SIM card, and put it in your HP Elite X3. Done!

If anything more than that is required to get your X3 to work, then something is wrong with your X3.

universalfield

Apr 5, 2018
Visit site
You don't have to explain anything to them. Take a Verizon branded or an accepted factory unlocked phone and get it activated. Go home, remove the SIM card, and put it in your HP Elite X3. Done!

If anything more than that is required to get your X3 to work, then something is wrong with your X3.

We'll see. These people are pretty confused. They can't even seem to get some of their own stuff activated. It's just the area. Nobody cares about where I live, and most of their business is burners and people who won't pay bills.

It's hard to explain to people who don't live in a place like that. I'm out in the country, but I do have to go to town to get things like this done. Pretty much everything is a pain around here. The carrier I used before Verizon was sending me someone else's bills instead of my own. LOL

Even Verizon had trouble here, in that regard. It's crazy, but true. The simplest of tasks becomes a nightmare very quickly. Hopefully this path will be enough to obviate the necessity to rely on any of them.

universalfield

Apr 5, 2018
Visit site
Nope.

The phone is fine, but they were entirely unable to activate it, even after one of the employees used his own SIM to let me make a call.

It's just not in the system, and they couldn't do it no matter how hard they tried. I was there for four hours attempting to help make it work.

Now, I bought this directly from Microsoft, and even the firmware and OS shows Verizon, and that's what I ordered. It did function with another SIM, but they could not set up any manner of account with it; nor set up an account for me separately and then transfer it.

The phone was working fine, but their system wouldn't allow it.

At that point, even if it did work, I wouldn't be able to rely on the phone without wondering if I'd missed something constantly.

So, it's going back. I bought an iPhone X to use until the Surface Phone is released. Don't like Apple products, but it was either that or Android, and I'm not letting Google all up in my stuff.

It's a shame. The hardware, build, and weight are very nice. Speakers are great for a phone that's not intended to be a primary entertainment device, and I'm one of those that thinks it looks good. It is bigger than I like, but I was willing to deal with it for a while.

Oh, well. I gave it my all. In the end, it just didn't work out. They really went out of their way to try, and if there was a way to do it reliably, we absolutely would have found it.

At this time, I would advise caution to anyone considering the Elite X3 Verizon model. I'd like to just frame the thing as the last breath of Windows Mobile as we've known it, but not for over 800 bucks all in. LOL

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
We'll see. These people are pretty confused. They can't even seem to get some of their own stuff activated. It's just the area. Nobody cares about where I live, and most of their business is burners and people who won't pay bills.

That seems quite pathetic! But I doubt there's a universe where Verizon reps are unable to do the simplest of tasks, such as activating a Verizon phone. Judging by your posts, I think you're overthinking the entire process.

I'd go to Walmart if you have one around. Buy the cheapest Verizon smartphone they have and get it activated. Forget the fact that you have an HP Elite X3, and don't bother telling the rep. Just buy the prepaid smartphone, get it activated, and leave the store.

When you get home (or out to your vehicle :amaze:), remove the SIM card from your new activated smartphone, and put the SIM card in your X3.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I used the Verizon variant of the Elite x3 for about a month. But with two lines VZW is expensive and was not worth it.

I have activated my Elite X3 online under my account with a sim card that turned out to be bad and also in a VZ store. I can't remember exactly why the sim was bad but I needed a new sim card since I that sim card was "unactivatable". I told them I needed a one for my phone as my number was being ported from AT&T they looked up my account and attached the sim to my number. I put it int the x3 and it activated. IMS/VoLTE will show up once the provisioning takes place after it's inserted.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
That seems quite pathetic! But I doubt there's a universe where Verizon reps are unable to do the simplest of tasks, such as activating a Verizon phone. Judging by your posts, I think you're overthinking the entire process.

I'd go to Walmart if you have one around. Buy the cheapest Verizon smartphone they have and get it activated. Forget the fact that you have an HP Elite X3, and don't bother telling the rep. Just buy the prepaid smartphone, get it activated, and leave the store.

When you get home (or out to your vehicle :amaze:), remove the SIM card from your new activated smartphone, and put the SIM card in your X3.
Verizon believe it or not are clueless especially with Windows phones now. The rep that helped me could not figure out how to get my sim card in. I told her hand it to me so I could do it as it looked like she might break the sim tray trying but she insisted to let her do it....

I had another rep years ago think he could hot swap the sim card in my icon without rebooting it lol.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I had another rep years ago think he could hot swap the sim card in my icon without rebooting it lol.

Hot swapping SIM cards is normal. You can hot swap the SIM cards in most phones anymore, at least the phones I've used for the last several years.

It seems like some of you guys find the clueless reps! :sweaty: The ones I've dealt with, though I seldom do, have been quite competent. This includes Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint. Maybe it helps that I usually have had either an iPhone or a popular Android. :eek:rly: I have never activated a Windows Phone. I always used an already active SIM card.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Hot swapping SIM cards is normal. You can hot swap the SIM cards in most phones anymore, at least the phones I've used for the last several years.
The only hot swappable Windows phones I have used are the IDOL 4s/Madosma Q601/HP Elite X3

universalfield

Apr 5, 2018
Visit site
Somehow or another my posts aren't showing up in a timely manner. Just seeing if this one does, as I did respond to your post within a few hours.

In short, it proved impossible. The phone itself has no problem. What I believe to be the case, and what is born out of everything we tried is this: Verizon does not officially support it.

It worked fine with another SIM from one of the employees' phones; though I didn't see the setting I was after, even if a call was possible during that time. The problem is, they cannot actually accept the phone.

The fact of the matter is, Verizon was unable to activate the phone in any official capacity whatsoever. Indeed, they weren't allowed to by the system. I was right there at the time.

Those guys sat there with me for four hours trying to figure out what was going on, and were more than patient and helpful, but to no avail, in the end.

I'll have to return the phone to Microsoft. Even if it slotted in just fine in the end, I'd have not trusted the service.

Caution should be advised around that phone. Perhaps Verizon in this region didn't receive some manner of updated software. It's difficult to know, but one thing is certain, and that is the fact that it cannot be accepted by them, at least in this region, as a "bring your own device".

Nobody wants to sell another phone bad enough to mess around with five of them for four hours while hanging on support calls. The guys were honest. It's simply not compatible here.

In other places? Maybe. Not here, though.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb