whats going on with the latest update on our HP X3??

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
so my X3 just had a strange update a couple of minutes ago, 12 am eastern time and I was wondering if anyone else got it. what was strange and its never happened to my X3 EVER is the screen went black and the was unresponsive for several minuts, I actually thought my phone got bricked! with my heart sinking to my gut I put it down and decided to give it time to do what it needed to do... and low and behold I got the HP logo back and then went dark for more several minutes and got the HP logo back again and now it is going through the 5 upgrade parts... and now its loaded up to win 10... but man it actually gave me a scare! so I'm letting people know what to expect and don't panic if the screen goes black for several looong miinutes... very strange this last update

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Having similar issue on 650 latest update. Hanged at Windows starting up screen. Need to pull out battery to reset before it resumes the usual steps of restoring...

G4Grandad

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
This has been happening with every update on my L830 for months now. The battery pull used to work but not anymore. Now it requires multiple soft resets. Several times it has stayed dead for more than 24 hours before inexplicably firing up again. Oh, the joys of Windows Phone. I should say Enough is Enough and get rid of it but I can't. It's still my favorite OS ever.
Useless as a daily driver, so many apps that can't be updated and generally unreliable but still my favorite. It's always comforting to come to the forums to find there are lots more gluttons for punishment!!

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
No issue with the update of my X3.
On another topic, a warning, take extra extra care with your X3 to never drop it. The glass breaks easily even though it is supposed to be rated as a tough phone. I'm looking for a Verizon CDMA replacement and can't find any.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
just picked up a new X3 and a bit afraid to download the new update. what y'all think? did it enhance any performance?

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
congrats on your new x3, your gonna luv it! just do the updates, it does improve things considerably...
Can get past the start screen now. Err!

Just saw the above comment about waiting for it as it sits on the blank screen. Gonna did that and see what happens.

Last edited:

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Update: It wouldn't mind past the blank screen so i had to do a Hard Reset. Luckily I just got it so it's by a hassle to set back up again. But now I don't know ow what to do. I'll have yo contact HP I guess. Good thing it's brand new and still under warranty.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
let it do all the updates without interruptions… it should work just fine, doing a hard reset when its updating is a good way of bricking your device!

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
congrats! its a great device and you will/should be very happy with it...
Ya it really is. It's funny. I owned the device a year ago then sold it (and obviously bought another one). At that time I thought it was too large, now I think it's much more manageable. I just wish I had the courage to rock it naked. Got a hp case on it.

bill broad

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I think the HP silicone case is outstanding. Without it the phone is like a slippery watermelon.

I find the phone very manageable in one hand with the case.

Also gives great protection.

fonephool

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
For at least a couple of hours Friday afternoon, maybe longer, Microsoft had the Verizon bundle in stock and on sale again for $299. Arrived yesterday. Now I have to figure out what my voicemail number is... Ordered one back in March? and they eventually cancelled it as out of stock.. Applied the updates yesterday without issue.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
For at least a couple of hours Friday afternoon, maybe longer, Microsoft had the Verizon bundle in stock and on sale again for $299. Arrived yesterday. Now I have to figure out what my voicemail number is... Ordered one back in March? and they eventually cancelled it as out of stock.. Applied the updates yesterday without issue.

Geez! I've been looking to buy two of the Verizon HP Elite X3s. I've been asking and searching and can't find any. People who have them, do not sell them!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Ya it really is. It's funny. I owned the device a year ago then sold it (and obviously bought another one). At that time I thought it was too large, now I think it's much more manageable. I just wish I had the courage to rock it naked. Got a hp case on it.
I never use a case on an x3. But do what works for you. I've actually dropped it multiple times inside my home on the tile before with no issues. Accidentally of course. Granted I'm a one off case scenario, but still they're built to take moderate abuse and walk away 👍.

fonephool

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I have the HP silicone case but think it really looks cheap. Phone loses much of it's "wow" factor with it on for me.. maybe I'll just leave the case off.. so far I've never been prone to dropping my phones..

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I have the HP silicone case but think it really looks cheap. Phone loses much of it's "wow" factor with it on for me.. maybe I'll just leave the case off.. so far I've never been prone to dropping my phones..
Ya me too for the most part. But it only takes one drop. . I hear u though. I MUCH prefer no case. The phone feels better in the hand and has a wow factor too.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Ya me too for the most part. But it only takes one drop. . I hear u though. I MUCH prefer no case. The phone feels better in the hand and has a wow factor too.

Yes. I dropped it once while getting up from the couch and was certain I either put a crack in it or at least a dent some where. But nope, luck has it on those occasions and drops this X3 had no dings or cracks. I think minor hair line screen scratch on it some where...

I usually end up buying one when I come across a new hack I want to test or try out. Then I resell it. I have bought and resold the X3 at least 4 or 5 times. I did own the VZ CDMA model too at one point but ended up exchanging that for the GSM unlocked model at the Microsoft store. Right now I am X3-less. But I have a 950 XL, Idol 4s, 1520, etc to keep me busy...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb