HP7 Stream arrived today!

P1n3apqlExpr3ss

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
How much storage is free after Windows and HP's bloat?

Do 64GB microSD cards still work fine?

Does only 1 GB RAM hold it back once it has 5~ Chrome tabs open or is it fine?

I haven't seen any side shots of it, it doesn't have any full sized USB or HDMI ports does it?

Also does it support video out with MHL?

Can someone confirm it supports USB-OTG?

Can someone please confirm that it has Bluetooth and lacks GPS?

Alright, I think that's it for now haha

leolucas2445

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
The tablet comes with 19 GB of free storage out of the box there is hardly any bloatware on it( 17 GB with office 365 installed)
I haven't installed windows updates but have heard it goes down to 10gb with updates
Haven't tried a microsd yet
For the most part it doesn't slow down with only 1gb of ram that much and runs smoother than some of the first windows 8 tablets released
The tablet only comes with 30.5 headphone and micro USB which does support USB otg but no mil. It does not have hdmi. Believe it only has miracast support
It has Bluetooth but not sure if it has GPS.

Office Depot/OfficeMax has it in stock on their website for $94 instead of waiting until amazon and hp have it in stock again on their websites.
I also agree it is a good tablet for the price, I showed it to someone, they also like the tablet and they ended up buying one from office depot and only paid $2 more than I did on the hp website using a coupon.

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
How much storage is free after Windows and HP's bloat?

Do 64GB microSD cards still work fine?

Does only 1 GB RAM hold it back once it has 5~ Chrome tabs open or is it fine?

I haven't seen any side shots of it, it doesn't have any full sized USB or HDMI ports does it?

Also does it support video out with MHL?

Can someone confirm it supports USB-OTG?

Can someone please confirm that it has Bluetooth and lacks GPS?

Alright, I think that's it for now haha

Not sure about chrome, so I installed it.
Come to find out the only bloatware on the tablet was installed by chrome when I did it.
Guess I didn't decline all the right things when installing.
No wonder why people's computers are so messed up, you could potentially installed 8-10 programs you don't even want by installing chrome alone if you aren't paying attention to what you click.

This one program knctr (or something like that) is like a god damn virus.

I'm not going to make this into a browser pissing match, just be careful when you install chrome on what you agree to. If you give one of these tablets to your kids, install chrome for them, don't let them do it themselves.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Here are a few comparison pics. I've taken a few pictures of it with my Acer Iconia W4 8", Lenovo Miix 2 8", and my Lumia 630 to give you an idea of its size. I've also included a picture of the back of the device to show how slick it is...probably my only real complaint about it.

Attachments

• WP_20141109_12_10_32_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141109_12_10_32_Pro.jpg
    928.7 KB · Views: 25
  • WP_20141109_12_12_15_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141109_12_12_15_Pro.jpg
    851.1 KB · Views: 22
  • WP_20141109_12_11_15_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141109_12_11_15_Pro.jpg
    814.8 KB · Views: 22
  • WP_20141109_12_11_44_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141109_12_11_44_Pro.jpg
    788.6 KB · Views: 21

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Thanks forbthe pics!

How's the screen? Based on the pic it seems like it ain't too bad.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
No problem.

The screen is actually pretty good. Obviously, it is not top of the line, but it is far better than what you might expect from a $99 tablet. In my opinion, the screen is just fine for reading, surfing the web, casual gaming, and Netflix. It isn't as glaringly bright or as crisp as my Dell V8P, but it's not too far from that. It's a little dim, but colors are fairly crisp and text is easy to read. My biggest complaints are the slick back and the feel of the glass. The glass doesn't feel as smooth as my other tablets, and it smudges easily, but I can live with all that. :)

lokhor

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I ordered one of these from Amazon but wondering about accessories such as case + keyboard.

After a quick search I found a few around the place but i'm too new to post links.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I ordered one of these from Amazon but wondering about accessories such as case + keyboard.

After a quick search I found a few around the place but i'm too new to post links.

The only thing I've found so far is a PDF describing a flip cover case, but I have no idea where to buy it. Can you send me a pm with the links??? :)

os1019

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
No problem.

The screen is actually pretty good. Obviously, it is not top of the line, but it is far better than what you might expect from a $99 tablet. In my opinion, the screen is just fine for reading, surfing the web, casual gaming, and Netflix. It isn't as glaringly bright or as crisp as my Dell V8P, but it's not too far from that. It's a little dim, but colors are fairly crisp and text is easy to read. My biggest complaints are the slick back and the feel of the glass. The glass doesn't feel as smooth as my other tablets, and it smudges easily, but I can live with all that. :)

Thanks for posting the pics. I like this tablet it appears a little more sleeker than the Encore Mini.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. I haven't personally held the Encore Mini, but from reading its reviews, I don't think it can hold a candle to the HP Stream 7 as far as quality goes. I'm sure the OS would run well on both devices, but I think the HP is far better overall. It is a solidly built device...very good quality.

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
I've always preferred hp hardware over the rest of the OEM.

Might go for the stream 8 w dates connection though.

Or might very well just get a 1520.
Sent from my Lumia Icon using Tapatalk

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
This device is definitely intriguing, and judging from the comments and pics so far, it seems like people are pretty happy with it. I had played with the cheap Toshiba Encore Mini 7" tablet at my local Microsoft Store and came away pretty unimpressed, especially with the screen and the 16GB storage. I have an Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7" tablet, and the screen on that is IPS, so if the HP screen is anything like the Fire's, I think that would be a big step up from the Toshiba.

For those who have the device:
-Do you think you could effectively use MS Word on this device, or is it just too small in desktop mode? I'd probably pair it with a keyboard if I wanted to type a lot, but for quick edits, I would use the virtual keyboard, but I'm afraid it would block too much of the screen. (Can any of you post a pic of Word running on it, with the virtual keyboard activated?)
-Any luck figuring out if it will accept >32GB microsd cards?

I'm a student, so I could even get 10% off from the education side of the MS Store making it only $89, which is even cheaper than the latest $139 Kindle Fire 7, and that has only 8GB of storage! Heck, it is even cheaper than their $99 6" one with only 8GB!)

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I use Word on it all the time at work. Is it the best experience? Probably not for some, however, to me, using it in portrait mode is a great experience. The keyboard fits my thumbs perfectly.

I've attached a few pics. Please excuse the glare. I'm at work. :)

Attachments

• WP_20141110_15_18_54_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141110_15_18_54_Pro.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • WP_20141110_15_19_23_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141110_15_19_23_Pro.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25

grdguez01

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm planning on getting two of those suckers, for $99 ($89 if you are a student) it's a pretty good deal!
I'm wondering how they would handle W10 Dev. Prev.....

lokhor

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
The only issue now is a lack of Office for Windows touch devices. seems like they are only releasing them for iPad and Android :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb