Stream 7 owners

clindhartsen

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Overall, I'm happy with the Stream 7. It's good for casual things, like reading stories in NextGen Reader, sending a few tweets via. Tweetium, playing media in XBOX Music and Video, or browsing sites online using full-screen IE. The 1GB of memory does rear it's head if you're doing too much, so I'd keep that in mind.

MERCDROID

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
As others have mentioned, the Stream 7 is an amazing value for the money. It's weird, but, when I fist powered it on and started using it, it was just a tad too sluggish, even taking into account the 1GB of RAM and the low workload that I placed on the processor. However, after going into the settings and installing all of the available updates, the device flies! I must say, this device is great! It's amazing how fast we've advanced technologically: full Windows in a $99 tablet.

There is 20GB of free space remaining, after the OS. Not to mention, it has a Micro SD card slot that can handle 128GB cards (when properly formatted), I believe. Battery life is great, too. For $99, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better value. As a fan of Android, there aren't many cheap Android tablets I can recommend. But, for someone that doesn't want/can't afford to spend much more, you won't find a better value for your money. HP definitely has a hit on its hands.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Only got mine yesterday, love it to bits and the sound output through headphones is great (I had heard this could be an issue but not for me).

Just tried a film on it, for the price this screen is fantastic.

I got mine for ?75 from the MS store, I had banged on here for what I was calling an "Xbox Music, music player" to replace my aging Sony MP3 player but with access to Xbox Music.

This thing blows that concept away, OK it's bigger than a standard MP3 player, but then you can actually watch films and TV on it with good viewing and ease, with the added advantage of it being a full blown Windows PC to surf the web, do actual stuff etc.

I have the original Surface Pro, it wont fit in a pocket, too big to get out to get out on a casual basis in the street, I also have a 1520 so already had a decent machine but again didn't like using that to watch video etc as I like to keep my phone charged up so I have a phone when I need it.

The Stream solves all my problems, OK the i5 and much more memory of the Surface blows the Stream away in terms of performance but at ?75 I can afford to drop it.

I am super impressed by this.

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I agree. I was a bit nervous about getting a $99US tablet, but after reading reviews I decided to get one. And I'm SO glad I did. As you said, the video quality is amazing for the price point, and I have yet to see any sluggishness in both Desktop and Modern views.

In saying that, this tablet is not without its issues: I am on my third one... The first one was replaced due to issues with the SSD, headphone audio issues and wireless. The second was just replaced this past Monday due to the wireless card not turning on. So I am on my third, and so far no issues as of yet, and the headphone audio sounds great so far.

So with the issues I've had, I'm not ready to give up on it... yet...

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I have ordered mine for $75 and the free $25 Microsoft store gift card. After reading all the post above, I am impatiently waiting for the delivery.

Although I own a Surface, this will be a great device to bring outdoors.

Keith Valdez

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: Stream 7 owners :cool:

I am very much in love with this little computer man! I've had SO MANY DEVICES it's not even funny! Tablets, phones, laptops, netbooks, chromebooks, every desktop OS you could think of (probably even some you can't) and this has so far been my favorite mobile device EVER! This thing is just the bees knees man! Everythin I could normally do with a small laptop... ok it is a small laptop, when paired with my btkeyboard/trackpad (AWESOME SAUCE)! This fits RIGHT in my pocket. It's actually smaller than my N72k12. Still have that device, love it... love android, BUT WINDOWS IN MY POCKET, FULL WINDOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is too much man. I have been pushing this thing to the limit in regards to what I can accomplish with it. Trying many various things. Eventually I will install win10 on it to test it out. This is by no means perfect, but awesome none the less. That being said, I would like to address the TERRIBLE audio quality. Is it a driver issue? Are there EQ's out there that improve it at all? I would AMD to get with Cambridge and Creative Soundworks to make the UTLIMATE GAMING TABLET with windows on it! I would TOTALLY pay a lot more money should the device actually be worth it. I like Intel's products... not so much their price. Maybe they can tack on a x86/x64 processor to that Tegra K1 Denver chip nVidia has going. I bet that would SCREAM!!!!!!!! MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT!!!!!:love:

Last edited:

Grabber5.0

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with mine, but battery life is pretty disappointing - not that I expected a lot from it. Given that, a separate charge port sure would have been nice. Also, based on experience with Windows, I expect most of the flash storage to be taken up by Windows updates eventually.

RichieHD

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
I absolutely love mine.

I ordered it on Thursday and it came on Friday. I've been using it nonstop! I do have one barely noticeable dead pixel off in a corner and the dreaded headphone audio issue but for the price? You can't beat it.

It runs everything I need it to like a speedy little champ.

Grabber5.0

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I installed Windows Movie Maker from 2012 Essentials so I could edit a short video and upload it without having to use my laptop. Not the speediest at rendering video, but for a short clip, it's passable. A mouse definitely makes navigating a traditional UI easier. I was disappointed there isn't any kind of video editor on the tablet, nor could I find one in the store. Don't think I missed it.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I installed Windows Movie Maker from 2012 Essentials so I could edit a short video and upload it without having to use my laptop. Not the speediest at rendering video, but for a short clip, it's passable. A mouse definitely makes navigating a traditional UI easier. I was disappointed there isn't any kind of video editor on the tablet, nor could I find one in the store. Don't think I missed it.

​You can try "MAGIX Movie Edit Pro" or "Power Director"

Grabber5.0

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I've never been impressed with MAGIX products - I still have several of them but only used them a few times just to try them. I've used Power Director before, and like it, but it's a bit much for this tablet I suspect. Windows Movie Maker is working pretty well. It would be nice to be able to produce mp4 format, but YouTube will convert them, so no big deal.

gir_wireless

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Bought the tablet just so I could get the extra year of Office, and I'm surprised that I got more than what I paid for. The tablet isn't actually half bad. Sure the speaker is tinny and sounds muted and the cameras suck, but at this price the screen and battery life are really good, runs x86 windows and is upgradeable to 10. Now I use the tablet for casual metro games, kindle and news reading, web browsing, and note-keeping. So it's like a digital notebook.

I completely hidden the desktop interface and apps so it will only run metro apps, much like RT only it's x86. I honestly see no point using the desktop interface on a screen size this small, and desktop Office would only cripple user experience considering that an on-screen keyboard would take up more screen area than the actual document you're working on. External keyboard is fine, but knowing that there's an extra thing to carry really is a bother. Plus it saves up storage space by not installing Office on it, only downside is that it won't be able to open/correctly format office files.

Last edited:

Grabber5.0

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I mostly bought mine just to try full Windows 8 on a tablet. I was curious whether I could use it to run a java-based installer for webOS devices, and to my delight, it works very well. I already had a BT keyboard, and now I'm looking for a decent BT mouse as well, so I can use it like a netbook while still charging, since typical OTG+charge cables won't charge it. If it doesn't fail inside of a year I will feel like I got my money's worth.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I mostly bought mine just to try full Windows 8 on a tablet. I was curious whether I could use it to run a java-based installer for webOS devices, and to my delight, it works very well. I already had a BT keyboard, and now I'm looking for a decent BT mouse as well, so I can use it like a netbook while still charging, since typical OTG+charge cables won't charge it. If it doesn't fail inside of a year I will feel like I got my money's worth.

There are a couple OTG + Charge cables that do work. I am using the Microsoft Sculpt mouse and the 8.1 integration is awesome...highly recommend it.

Wahadinho

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Anyone have performance problems while charging their tablet?

For example, CPU frequency drops noticeably durning some light games (Pinball FX2 for example) and then it start working in 2 frames per second?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon