Can I upgrade my Stream 7 to 8.1 Pro?

misterpunn

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a Stream 7 today and I was wondering if upgrading to Windows 8.1 Pro would cripple the tablet. Maybe it doesn't have the specs to upgrade in the first place.

I bought the Stream with the intention of using it with my HDHomerun Prime, so if this wouldn't work I'll just return it.

Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why you can't install it.
The differences between 8.1 and 8.1 Pro aren't too deep from what I see, its just advanced features some may appreciate.(system requirements are the same from what I can tell, its just different between the 32 and 64-bit versions, which doesn't apply here) I think you could just use the "Add features to Windows 8.1" in the Control Panel, it should be a speedy upgrade relatively.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I just bought a Stream 7 today and I was wondering if upgrading to Windows 8.1 Pro would cripple the tablet. Maybe it doesn't have the specs to upgrade in the first place.

I bought the Stream with the intention of using it with my HDHomerun Prime, so if this wouldn't work I'll just return it.

Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated!

Unless you need to join it to a domain or use it as a remote desktop host, why would you need the Professional version of Windows? The Professional editions really aren't "better," in spite of what a lot of people think.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Adding Pro is just adding a little more bulk. I don't see any improvement in speed could be gained, unless you are going to use in an Office or Business setting.

Why chew up much needed space on the main drive?

misterpunn

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
You have to have Pro in order to access Windows Media Center (which is necessary in order to watch TV.)

The person at the Microsoft store said it had HDMI out which is why I bought it. Unfortunately, I've since learned that's not the case, so I'll return the Steam and either have to buy a really cheap laptop or a 360 to use as an extender.

ToddKlindt

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
The Insignia Flex 8 is $99 and it does have a micro HDMI port on it. You can trust me, I have the device and have used the micro HDMI port myself. It also supports Miracast, so if you have a Miracast receiver laying around you can use that too.

Tk

levin808

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
i would love to have Window Media Center on the tablet (to access recording from my main Media Center PC) and i don't understand why Microsoft requires you to have Pro. i wish they would make it available as app in the Windows store, I'd gladly pay $10 for Media Center but not the $100 Pro Pack.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Pro Pack says you must have 20GB free space. How can you install it on a Stream 7?

I think it means you need 20 GB for a normal, comfortable clean install on a traditional PC. The Stream already has some space saving measures in place I guess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo