Technical Preview on the Stream 7

untitled

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone tried loading the Technical Preview on the Stream 7? I've got it on an old laptop, and it works fine there. But then I find that I miss some of the Win10 features whenever I go back to my tablet.

One of the Amazon reviews for the Stream 7 hinted that there could be problems with nonstandard drivers, which is the main reason I'm holding off for now. I'm eager to hear if anyone else has given it a shot.

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I've been running Win 10 TP Enterprise on an HP ElitePad 900 with no issues whatsoever, aside from a small number of enterprise software incompatibilities. No driver issues at all. Win 10 has touch enablement as an option. Haven't yet had time to upgrade my Stream 7, but it's definitely going to happen, as I like Win 10 TP even more than 8.1!

untitled

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I got impatient and went ahead with installing the Technical Preview. That appears to have been a bad decision.

I had already made myself a bootable USB drive using the first ISO for another machine, so I figured I'd go ahead and use that with my Stream and then download the new preview builds and update on the fly. It installed the same as it had on my old laptop, booted and ran fine, and suffered the same glitches that the first Win10 builds had shown on my laptop. No surprises yet.

The problems arose when I tried to update to the newer preview builds. It just keeps telling me "No new preview builds found" even though I'm on the first build that was released. So then I decided to download one of the newer ISOs and put that on the USB drive. Install fails part of the way through.

That first preview build is largely usable, so it's not like my Stream is ruined or useless. But I'm at a loss as far as how to proceed.

Oh well, I knew that I was venturing into uncharted territory, so it's my own fault. There are any number of precautions I could've taken before I loaded Win10 onto it. That's what I get for being lazy and trying to take shortcuts.

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Any chance you've tried the new build, released today? I'm eager to try this out on my Stream 8, but I'm leery of the types of issues you had previously.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I just tried on my Stream 7 and it said it the tech preview doesn't support compressed operating systems so it would not install.

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I'd like to see some pics/videos. It's not running so great on my 1st/2nd gen netbook. However, it is running, and I can't complain that much. It's not so bad, really.

untitled

May 29, 2014
Visit site
My Stream 7 is currently downloading the latest build through the settings menu, which is further than I'd gotten before, so maybe this is a positive sign. If this doesn't work maybe I'll try the ISO route again.

Oddly, my old Lenovo laptop, which has been perfectly fine with the previous Win10 builds, won't install the new one, whether I try it through settings or a USB. Wasted my entire day off yesterday trying to get it to work.

untitled

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Success! Not sure why it likes the new build better than the previous two, but I've got it running nicely on my Stream 7.

Downloading through settings didn't work. Even though I had more than 8GB free before I started, by the time it downloaded the new build I was down to a bit over 5GB. So I had to do it off a USB stick. No biggie. I used the same USB stick that I'd been trying to make the previous two builds work with, didn't really do anything differently.

Haven't had a chance to play with the new features yet, I'm looking forward to seeing if Cortana is useful and how the changes to the UI work.

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
It would be awesome if you made a video of playing around with it, like asking cortana something, browsing around the UI. I'm very curious to see how it looks on this size of a tablet. I'm holding off until a "consumer" preview build because I don't have all the skills to handle the technical preview installation, etc, but I am really looking forward to having Cortana on my tablet and my phone!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077